What's new

Add wireless N capabilities to existing network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

giladgaron

New Around Here
Hi,

I want to add wireless N capabilities to my existing network and I would like some advice.

Network setup:

WAN: 10mbps ADSL.
Wireless Router: Linksys WRT54GL 1.1 running DD-WRT 2.4sp1
Clients:
  1. PC, connected via Ethernet, my main pc, used for gaming and surfing
  2. HTPC, connected via wireless G, doubles as a download server
  3. Netbook, conneted via wireless G
  4. Playstation 3, connected via wireless G

I want to connect my HTPC to a wireless N network, The way I see it, I have two options:

1. replace my current router with a new dual radio/band wireless N router and buy a wireless N network card for my HTPC.

2. buy a cheap wireless N router/access point, connect it to my router via Ethernet as an access point and use only my HTPC with it (with a wireless N card) .

I have a couple of questions:
1. I prefer going with option number 2 since it's cheaper and because the range of wireless N router in my country is limited.
Do you think it's a good solution?

2. If I go with option number two, will my current router be able to deal with all the traffic? my HTPC which online all the time doubles as a bittorrent client.

Thank you for your advice.

1. I prefer going with option number 2 since it's cheaper and because the range of wireless N router in my country is limited.
Do you think it's a good solution?
Two would be fine. You can convert either router to an AP.

2. If I go with option number two, will my current router be able to deal with all the traffic? my HTPC which online all the time doubles as a bittorrent client.
Dunno. How is it dealing with it now?

Chances are any N router you buy is going to have higher routing throughput than the WRT54GL. But you can try both routers as the primary router and decide for yourself.

Chances are any N router you buy is going to have higher routing throughput than the WRT54GL. But you can try both routers as the primary router and decide for yourself.

So far the linksys is handling the traffic well, but I just got my 10mbps line today, so I'm still testing it.
I'm getting a DLink DIR-615 from a friend to test the new setup tomorrow.

Thanks for your input.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!