What's new

Adguard Home and clients of subnet (wireguard tunnel)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

atorcha

Occasional Visitor
Captura de pantalla 2024-08-12 103256.png

IMG_0039.jpg

Hello, I only see in adguard IP of GLINET X750 and I would like to see IP of devices, in order to made differentes profiles for each one.

How can I do that?

View attachment 60891

View attachment 60892

Hello, I only see in adguard IP of GLINET X750 and I would like to see IP of devices, in order to made differentes profiles for each one.

How can I do that?
You will need to turn off nat (MASQUARADE) on GL Inet router. As this setting changes source address to be wg address for the entire lan.

Furthermore, you will need to add on Asus router wireguard server on the peer to GL Inet router:
AllowedIPs (Server): 10.6.0.10/32, 192.168.10.0/24
I think you find this setting alittle hidden under site-2-site settings.

Last edited:
You will need to turn off nat (MASQUARADE) on GL Inet router. As this setting changes source address to be wg address for the entire lan.

Furthermore, you will need to add on Asus router wireguard server on the peer to GL Inet router:
AllowedIPs (Server): 10.6.0.10/30, 192.168.10.0/24
I think you find this setting alittle hidden under site-2-site settings.

1723460663227.png

But I don´t know how to : to turn off nat (MASQUARADE) on GL Inet router

What I want is see IP devices ( for example 192.168.10.101) in ADH to apply rules and specific filters

Can't help you with that, try Google.

What I want is see IP devices ( for example 192.168.10.101) in ADH to apply rules and specific filters
I get that, and right now you only see 10.6.0.10 for every lan device. This is how MASQUARADE works, same as your entire lan uses a single public ip. But this is not an asus router issue, it's a GL Inet router issue.

Given the GL.iNet devices typically use third-party firmware (OpenWRT) and most make NAT'ing the tunnel on a VPN optional (if only to support site-to-site configurations), I'd be surprised if it wasn't there in the firmware. But I don't use OpenWRT, so I can't confirm one way or the other. If it isn't, that would seem to be a major oversight imo. Or perhaps it's been removed from the GUI under the assumption it's considered a travel router, where site-to-site would be very unusual, so in the name of simplicity, they removed it. Even so, if you have access to SSH, you should be able to remove the NAT rule yourself, although you would have to have a means via OpenWRT to make it persistent across a restart of the VPN and/or router.

Of course, all this assumes you also have static routing configured properly on the WG server side (the use of NAT w/ the WG client is intended to make that unnecessary).

The other option is to reverse the roles of the WG connection, making the client the server, and vice versa, putting the client on the device where you presumably have more control of the NAT'ing. Granted, it may be impractical for other reasons.

Of course, all this assumes you also have static routing configured properly on the WG server side (the use of NAT w/ the WG client is intended to make that unnecessary).
This should already be taken care of when changing AllowedIPs (Server), a route in the main route table should been added for 192.168.10.0/24 to wgs1 (and wg will route to correct peer).

I may be out on thin ice here, but this source:
https://forum.gl-inet.com/t/wireguard-without-double-nat/16915/2
Suggests the only way is to change in the wireguard config file.

Another source:
https://forum.gl-inet.com/t/s2s-wir...bnet-without-nat-only-routes-possible/13773/2
Suggests the masquarade option is adjustable in the firewall zones area of the gui. However, you will need to re-arrange so lan-wan has masquarade enabled whilst lan-wireguard does not have it.

Both links are abit dated and may not be relevant anymore. But perhaps a starting point?

1723549448140.png

This is my configuration.

Attachments

• IMG_0042.PNG
    IMG_0042.PNG
    179.7 KB · Views: 17
Looks like you don't have masquerading enabled for neither wan or Wireguard which may give issues if you have lan clients using wan.
But did this resolve your issue or not?
Not. When I see connections on ADGUARD HOME I just see IP of WG not real IP of devices in other LAN (192.168.10.x)

Not. When I see connections on ADGUARD HOME I just see IP of WG not real IP of devices in other LAN (192.168.10.x)
Then the Gl.Inet router is still masquerading... unless wireguard dns is setup to use router itself as forwarder for dns (dnsmasq).
did you stop/start wireguard after making these changes? Or better yet, reboot the router?

As you already are familiar with ssh into the gl.inet router, could you try dumping firewall rules and if it's there we could try to remove it:
Code:
iptables -nvL POSTROUTING -t nat
Your wan ip might appear in the output which you might obfuscate if it's public ip.

I will check config wireguard but in SSH of gl.inet I have this:

Code:
root@GL-X750:~# iptables -nvL POSTROUTING -t nat
# Warning: iptables-legacy tables present, use iptables-legacy to see them
Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         
root@GL-X750:~#

I will check config wireguard but in SSH of gl.inet I have this:

Code:
root@GL-X750:~# iptables -nvL POSTROUTING -t nat
# Warning: iptables-legacy tables present, use iptables-legacy to see them
Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination        
root@GL-X750:~#
Aha, gl.inet router are using nftables... im not as familiar with those. You should be able to list them by
Code:
nft list ruleset
Look for nat tables and postrouting.

I think that I should watch the real IPs connect to 4G Gl Inet X750 for example (192.168.10.233) and not 10.6.0.10 in adguard home ?

1723566300048.png

Code:
        chain dstnat {
                type nat hook prerouting priority dstnat; policy accept;
        }

chain srcnat {
                type nat hook postrouting priority srcnat; policy accept;
                oifname { "eth0", "wwan0" } jump srcnat_wan comment "!fw4: Handle wan IPv4/IPv6 srcnat traffic"
        }

chain srcnat_wan {
                meta nfproto ipv4 masquerade comment "!fw4: Masquerade IPv4 wan traffic"
        }

Code:
        chain mangle_postrouting {
                type filter hook postrouting priority mangle; policy accept;
        }

Code:
        chain dstnat {
                type nat hook prerouting priority dstnat; policy accept;
        }

chain srcnat {
                type nat hook postrouting priority srcnat; policy accept;
                oifname { "eth0", "wwan0" } jump srcnat_wan comment "!fw4: Handle wan IPv4/IPv6 srcnat traffic"
        }

chain srcnat_wan {
                meta nfproto ipv4 masquerade comment "!fw4: Masquerade IPv4 wan traffic"
        }

Code:
        chain mangle_postrouting {
                type filter hook postrouting priority mangle; policy accept;
        }
Great! Om not an expert in these but I don't see anything pointing to masquarade being used on wireguard anymore.

I think your gl.inet router processes dns requests locally by dnsmasq. So lan client sends dns to gl.inet router which either uses cached info or makes it's own request to upstream dns server (agh). Which is why you only see gl.inet router ip in agh log. You need to figure out how to bypass local dns resolution on the gl.inet router. You will probably get better help on a forum/section for these routers.

I recently encountered this issue as well. In previous versions, I could access the DNS of the remote router through a VPN, but it doesn't seem possible anymore in version 388.8. Have you found a solution?

yes it works for me.

yes it works for me.

Great you managed to sort this out, and thanks for the link!

Just a couple of notes:
- According to this post: https://forum.gl-inet.com/t/vpn-wireguard-and-adguard-home/45861/16 You added a static route in the asus router. This should not be needed as you added remote lan in AllowedIPs (server) and could be removed. I don't think it does any harm though but it does not look correctly formulated.

- The redirection rule you added:
Code:
iptables -w -t nat -I PREROUTING -i br-lan -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 10.6.0.1
Only covers udp dns packets, which most dns requests are, but not all. Some are tcp. For completeness you should also add:
Code:
iptables -w -t nat -I PREROUTING -i br-lan -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 10.6.0.1

Great you managed to sort this out, and thanks for the link!

Just a couple of notes:
- According to this post: https://forum.gl-inet.com/t/vpn-wireguard-and-adguard-home/45861/16 You added a static route in the asus router. This should not be needed as you added remote lan in AllowedIPs (server) and could be removed. I don't think it does any harm though but it does not look correctly formulated.

- The redirection rule you added:
Code:
iptables -w -t nat -I PREROUTING -i br-lan -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 10.6.0.1
Only covers udp dns packets, which most dns requests are, but not all. Some are tcp. For completeness you should also add:
Code:
iptables -w -t nat -I PREROUTING -i br-lan -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 10.6.0.1
Thanks. I add the line.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online