What's new

AdGuardHome AdGuard Home Intermittent DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CntrlAltDel

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,
Over the last couple of months I've been using Adguard Home on OPNsense and during the entire time I noticed intermittent DNS issues where all requests will be dropped seemingly for no reason. The internet connection will still be up but just for random periods DNS queries will fail. I've now moved back to Asus Merlin with AdGuard Home installed on my RT-AC88U and I'm seeing the exact same behaviour. Is anyone facing anything similar and if so what do you do to resolve it?

I've run AdguardHome both on the routers and on separate systems (i.e. on a rasp pi and one in a VM). I've not seen what you describe, though while on the router every now and then it would seem to 'hiccup' slightly which is why I moved it off it.

If the upstream DNS is slow, I've seen some issues and I now point to 2 different upstream DNS providers (i.e. Cloudflare and canadianshield in my case).
FYI.

Yes, this is happening (too) many times from the beginning of this year. Sometime before this summer, I had to do a router factory reset because AGH "locking" the router and even after a reboot, uninstallation and other troubleshooting steps, the router was not behaving correctly.
I am trying to see if a monthly reboot could help.
When trouble appear, in general the first sign is when I can see in the router's system logs is that AGH is unable to communicate with all the DNS servers configured. I am using family safety settings ("browsing security web service" and "parental control web service"), and the first problem is with AdGuard Familly DNS servers (https protocol).
To avoid wasted ressource consumption, I tried to lower the memory settings in DNS cache configuration (from 4096, 2048 and now 512mb) and to reduce logs and statistics retention period (from 90 days to 30 days).
Last year, I was able to use 4096mb and 90 days in retention without any issue. I didn't change my router from a long time, it is the same model when everything was working fine.

I was have issues with AGH where all requests will be dropped seemingly for no reason only on wifi.
These changes fixed the issue for me:
DNS server configuration
Set Rate limit=0

DNS cache configuration
Enable Optimistic Caching

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!