What's new

AdGuardHome AdGuardHome New Release's 2023

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please consider adding github.com as an alternate/fallback download source for a future release.

Thanks!
Nice idea, but it doesn't change the fact that it can break with anyone. There are even users who still occasionally report having issues connecting with github, who use scripts like skynet. Also, github can be unreliable during times of heavy traffic.

And AdGuardHome does not provide a build link for each build (e.g. edge, beta, and release) downloading directly from github. They only provide builds for the beta and release builds on github. It is not an exact science parsing github for builds.

Last edited:
My port is at 3000 as well. Did a fresh install on everything quite recently. Everything works so didn't change anything there.
I can confirm the new version fixes it.

1688784026145.png

Nice idea, but it doesn't change the fact that it can break with anyone. There are even users who still occasionally report having issues connecting with github, who use scripts like skynet. Also, github can be unreliable during times of heavy traffic.

And AdGuardHome does not provide a build link for each build (e.g. edge, beta, and release) downloading directly from github. They only provide builds for the beta and release builds on github. It is not an exact science parsing github for builds.
Based on the variables in your script this should work:
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/releases/download/${ADGUARDHOME_VER}/${ADGUARD_TAR}

I understand that GitHub itself and the path are not guaranteed, but an alternative/fallback source would be better than a single source.

Anyways, it’s your call. Appreciate you taking time to respond.

If I were you, I would try pinging each one of those IP addresses, if your ping is not returned, then you are being prevented from connecting. If you are able to ping the IP addresses, the next step is to try different DNS servers because nextdns could be resolving the incorrect IP addresses.
You were definitely right regarding those 4 IP addresses returned by NextDNS. All were failing to respond to ping requests.

I changed to Cloudflare and successfully upgraded.

You guys will have to uninstall, and reinstall. Make sure to get screenshots of the actual terminal install process. This is critical for me to know if there are any errors in the process during your install.
As stated I have refreshed my router two times, vanilla settings. I've installed entware then adguard. Adguard installs fine as stated from the screenshot I posted, the installer (latest version) doesn't define me a port number to allow me access to the gui. It just defines the pot as a ip-address:dot nothing else. So I'm not sure how many times I need to vanilla set my router to keep getting the same end result. So, for now I'll just have to leave it off my router.

http:
address: 0.0.0.0:14711
session_ttl: 720h
users:
- name: redacted
password: redacted
auth_attempts: 5
block_auth_min: 15
http_proxy: ""
language: ""
theme: auto
debug_pprof: false
dns:
bind_hosts:
port: 53
anonymize_client_ip: false
protection_enabled: true
blocking_mode: default
blocking_ipv4: ""
blocking_ipv6: ""
blocked_response_ttl: 10
protection_disabled_until: null
parental_block_host: ""
safebrowsing_block_host: ""
ratelimit: 20
ratelimit_whitelist: []
refuse_any: true
upstream_dns:
- '[/router.asus.com/][::]:553'
- '[/www.asusnetwork.net/][::]:553'
- '[/www.asusrouter.com/][::]:553'
- '[/use-application-dns.net/][::]:553'
- '[/dns.resolver.arpa/][::]:553'
- '[/lan/][::]:553'
- '[//][::]:553'
- tcp://9.9.9.9
- tcp://8.8.8.8
upstream_dns_file: ""
bootstrap_dns:
all_servers: false
fastest_addr: false
fastest_timeout: 1s
allowed_clients: []
disallowed_clients: []
blocked_hosts: []
trusted_proxies:
- 127.0.0.0/8
- ::1/128
cache_size: 4194304
cache_ttl_min: 0
cache_ttl_max: 0
cache_optimistic: false
bogus_nxdomain: []
aaaa_disabled: false
enable_dnssec: false
edns_client_subnet:
custom_ip: ""
enabled: false
use_custom: false
max_goroutines: 300
handle_ddr: true
ipset: []
ipset_file: ""
bootstrap_prefer_ipv6: false
filtering_enabled: true
filters_update_interval: 24
parental_enabled: false
safebrowsing_enabled: false
safebrowsing_cache_size: 1048576
safesearch_cache_size: 1048576
parental_cache_size: 1048576
cache_time: 30
safe_search:
bing: true
duckduckgo: true
google: true
pixabay: true
yandex: true
youtube: true
rewrites: []
blocked_services:
schedule:
time_zone: Local
ids: []
upstream_timeout: 10s
private_networks: []
use_private_ptr_resolvers: true
local_ptr_upstreams:
- '[::]:553'
- '[/10.in-addr.arpa/][::]:553'
- '[/168.192.in-addr.arpa/][::]:553'
use_dns64: false
dns64_prefixes: []
serve_http3: false
use_http3_upstreams: false
tls:
server_name: ""
force_https: false
port_https: 443
port_dns_over_tls: 853
port_dns_over_quic: 853
port_dnscrypt: 0
dnscrypt_config_file: ""
allow_unencrypted_doh: false
certificate_chain: ""
private_key: ""
certificate_path: ""
private_key_path: ""
strict_sni_check: false
querylog:
ignored: []
interval: 2160h
size_memory: 1000
enabled: true
file_enabled: true
statistics:
ignored: []
interval: 24h
enabled: true
filters:
- enabled: true
url: https://adguardteam.github.io/HostlistsRegistry/assets/filter_1.txt
name: AdGuard DNS filter
id: 1
- enabled: false
url: https://adguardteam.github.io/HostlistsRegistry/assets/filter_2.txt
name: AdAway Default Blocklist
id: 2
whitelist_filters: []
user_rules: []
dhcp:
interface_name: ""
local_domain_name: lan
dhcpv4:
gateway_ip: ""
subnet_mask: ""
range_start: ""
range_end: ""
lease_duration: 86400
icmp_timeout_msec: 1000
options: []
dhcpv6:
range_start: ""
lease_duration: 86400
ra_slaac_only: false
ra_allow_slaac: false
clients:
runtime_sources:
whois: true
arp: true
rdns: true
dhcp: true
hosts: true
persistent: []
log_file: ""
log_max_backups: 0
log_max_size: 100
log_max_age: 3
log_compress: false
log_localtime: false
verbose: false
group: ""
user: ""
rlimit_nofile: 0
schema_version: 23
That's the result of when it doesn't define any port to access the gui, this is from vanilla settings. Tried port 53, doesn't work, tried 14711 doesn't work, so I don't know, I'm stumped

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow Strange, it's now working? But not sure why at the end of the install where it tells you to access it doesn't give you the port number on the end result, maybe it's the installer issue?

You were definitely right regarding those 4 IP addresses returned by NextDNS. All were failing to respond to ping requests.

I changed to Cloudflare and successfully upgraded.
It definitely raises the question on the reliability of the dns service provider you were using. I recommend just using adguardhome for blocking. You have better control over what gets blocked, and you can choose more reliable dns service providers.

@SomeWhereOverTheRainBow Strange, it's now working? But not sure why at the end of the install where it tells you to access it doesn't give you the port number on the end result, maybe it's the installer issue?
It is fixed, it was because the installer relied on parsing the port number based on the old value in the .yaml file. Since adguardhome developers decided to change this format in the middle of the night, it caused its functionality to break in the installer. After reviewing the issue, I was able to correct it.

It definitely raises the question on the reliability of the dns service provider you were using. I recommend just using adguardhome for blocking. You have better control over what gets blocked, and you can choose more reliable dns service providers.
I use AGH with limited blocklists to reduce load on the router.
I then had NextDNS as upstream with more features enabled.

Not sure where NextDNS was getting the broken IPs for static.adguard.com
I checked AdGuard, Google, and Clouflare, and all were returning different sets of working IPs.

I use AGH with limited blocklists to reduce load on the router.
I then had NextDNS as upstream with more features enabled.

Not sure where NextDNS was getting the broken IPs for static.adguard.com
I checked AdGuard, Google, and Clouflare, and all were returning different sets of working IPs.
@Toinks
You could try only setting the primary NextDNS server. Their secondary ones are the ones that typically give the most problems. What it sounds like to me is that Next DNS is not refreshing its upstream cache often enough to keep an accurate account of the IP address for static.adguard.com. What this means is that static.adguard.com changes IP addresses quite frequently, possibly every 15 to 30 minutes because it is being load balanced across multiple servers. If you have a way to adjust your cache settings in your NextDNS upstream account settings, then you may be able to resolve the issue.

Or, another option is to make an adjustment in your AdGuardHome upstream section. You can forward all requests for static.adguard.com to a different DNS server, and use NextDNS for everything else.

e.g. add [/static.adguard.com/]1.1.1.1 to the top of your AdGuardHome upstream DNS section. Then just use NextDNS like you normally would at the bottom.

Last edited:
Mine broke after a reboot just now & is still broken, tried uninstall, reinstall, nothing works. Installation stuck at Checking AdGuardHome ... dead. Also tried installing using the command. Uninstall was successful but can't reinstall.

Mine broke after a reboot just now & is still broken, tried uninstall, reinstall, nothing works. Installation stuck at Checking AdGuardHome ... dead. Also tried installing using the command. Uninstall was successful but can't reinstall.
Try another reboot, then reinstall. Also, make sure you are not using nextdns as your upstream. If your install is unsuccessful again make sure you share full detailed screenshots of your terminal session install process. This is a very important if you want any actual help.

Try another reboot, then reinstall. Also, make sure you are not using nextdns as your upstream. If your install is unsuccessful again make sure you share full detailed screenshots of your terminal session install process. This is a very important if you want any actual help.
not using nextdns, never have, this is a fresh install using default dns servers, now it won't uninstall, stuck at => Do you want to continue? [y/n]: y. tried killing the service manually too.
unable to uninstall, happy to share screen shots once I am able to install.

AdGuard Home is going strong here still. I haven't actually had any major problems in my 3 months I've been using it on an Asus AX86U. I've used Pi-hole 8 years before on a Raspberry Pi. I then switched to a Radxa Rock 4SE and AdGuard Home for 6 months or so. Now on the router instead. When you have such a powerful router, you can use it for a little more, I think.

The downside is RAM usage which is a bit on the higher side. On a Rock 4SE and Debian without desktop, 300MB is used after 6 months of uptime in total. CPU load I haven't had any problems with. A few percent max. But it works very well!

Based on the variables in your script this should work:
https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome/releases/download/${ADGUARDHOME_VER}/${ADGUARD_TAR}

I understand that GitHub itself and the path are not guaranteed, but an alternative/fallback source would be better than a single source.

Anyways, it’s your call. Appreciate you taking time to respond.
Here is the reasons I have chose not to switch

1688922994959.png

1688922923683.png

I prefer to download by builds and not version numbers. They definitely do not post an edge edition in respect to its version number within the releases section (atleast I do not see one), and they do not always post the current beta build by version as well. That is one of the reasons why it was at first difficult to download with respect to current release version numbers for beta. Edge is not even downloaded with respect to version number, it is downloaded straight as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!