What's new

advice for wireless N ethernet bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

N2rock

New Around Here
on one end I have DVR, TV and game console with ethernet outputs

on other end I have D-Link Extreme N router, with 12mb DSL

Distance is only 2 rooms away- approximately 25 feet, with one wall between.

Want to get the DVR, TV and game console Wireless N to the router. Looking for advice on which bridge to purchase.

I thank you in advance.

Most consumer switches come with a very plain instruction. It's no more difficult than a USB hub.

but if I can buy one piece of gear, that does all, and for the same or less money... What's the point of buying 2 pieces?

I'm not being argumentative. I just want to understand the reasons why before I do something

OK. If I go that route, then I also need a recommendation for a switch (mind you- simplicity of setup is key here)

You really can buy any unmanaged switch. They all are plug and play.

Examples are:
NETGEAR GS605
Linksys SE2500
D-Link DGS-105
TRENDnet TEGS5G

I would try the adapter first. If it works to your satisfaction, then buy the switch. Might as well try both the TRENDnet and the ASUS while you are at it. The TRENDnet might work fine for your relatively short distance.

thanks Again.

Got another question. On another site it was said that when running N, if possible use the same brand for all the equipment- IE: I have a D-Link router, so I should run D-Link for the switch and adapter. The site said it's not a necessity, but the components will work better if they are all the same brand.

True? Should I stick to D-Link across the board since I already am using D-Link router?

When 802.11n was still in draft form, it was wise to choose "matching" routers and adapters. Now that the standard is matured, it is no longer necessary or even practical.

Low port count unmanaged switches are very mature and stable and are commodity products. You can buy on price, warranty and brand preference.