What's new

Advice Needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

S

scottk

Hello-

I've spent a lot of time over the past few days reading reviews on different Wireless-N routers. I currently have the combination cable modem/wireless router Linksys WCG200, but it is beginning to fail on me. I am looking to replace it. I made a mistake buying a combo unit as now I have to buy both a new cable modem AND a wireless router instead of just one or the other. I won't make that mistake again.

For the cable modem, I've read a ton of advice saying that Motorola makes the best cable modems, so I'll probably pick up the Motorola Surfboard SB5101. I've also read good reviews of the Linksys CM100 on Amazon, but I worry about mixing a Linksys cable modem with other brands of routers.

As for the wireless router, I'm still confused as to which way to go. I always try to buy something as future-proof as possible but also within my budget.

My set-up includes a Macbook Pro (wireless or ethernet), two PCs (one wireless, one ethernet), a Phillips Skype phone (ethernet), a network printer (ethernet), a couple of WiFi-enabled cell phones (including an iPhone), and 2 TiVos (both wireless G currently).

I've considered the Apple Airport Extreme as I love Apple products, but have shied away from it for two reasons: 1) it seems there are better deals in terms of price and performance, and 2) I read it does not include some firewall features that most other routers have. Being PCs are connected to the network, I tend to err on the side of security.

I have had a problem with my current router's range as well as throughput. It tends to fade in and out when a download is happening on a wireless connection. This may be because there are a lot of my neighbors with home networks now and the 2.4 range is getting crowded, but I'm not sure. For this reason I'm interested in the 5.8 spectrum. I don't know if 5.8 will solve my problem or not though.

Being that I have a PC (and sometimes my Mac) connected via ethernet, I would like to go with a router that supports Gigabit for future-proofing reasons, but I'm not positive that it's a necessity.

I download movies to one of my TiVos and have considered getting a wireless-N bridge for it to speed up that connection.

I've read SmallNetBuilder's reviews and am not sure which way to go. I was leaning towards the D-Link DIR-655, but it does not operate on 5.8. I've also considered the DIR-825 but their review indicated there may be an issue with range. I don't need an extreme range, but I need a solid signal through a largely open area (maybe one wall or two) for 120 feet.

I've read some very mixed reviews about the new Linksys WRT610N including one that said it doesn't play nice with Macs. I can set-up the router using a PC, so if the Mac issue is just in regards to set-up, I might be okay there. I'm wondering if some of the issues with it (and the D-Link DIR-825) might be corrected with future firmware updates.

CNET really likes the Belkin N+ Wireless Router, and SmallNetBuilder's review was generally pretty positive towards it (minus the price), but I believe that it only operates on 2.4 as well.

I haven't read any particularly positive reviews of Netgear wireless-N routers.

In general I like to stay with more name-brand routers simply for the knowledge and support that is available about them on the web versus a smaller, no-name company.

So I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm wondering what you might recommend for my situation. I would really appreciate fellow forum users' advice. It's obvious from the forums that many of you really know your stuff, so I'm looking forward to hearing what you recommend.

Thanks in advance.

To sum it up....

CNET is a bunch of idiots. Don't rely on their reviews.

Right now the DIR-655 or the DIR-825 are probably your best options.

One day, maybe, Linksys will get the WRT610 right. Probably not!

If you can wait, Dlink, Buffalo Netgear and Trtendnet are all expected to unveil next gen 2.4/5.8 routers within the next 90 days or so. That said, when new routers are released they often have issues. If you are not the type to deal with "early adopter" issues then maybe you ought to consider either the DIR-655 or DIR-825.

If cost is not an object consider the Cisco Aironet 1140 series a/g/n access point. You won't be disappointed with anything other than the price and support costs.

Last edited: