What's new

advice on a new family router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

busterbrit

New Around Here
I've spent 6 hours reading and I still don't know what router to get. I would love some direction.

What I have:

3 wireless laptops
PS3 (directly connected to router)
Netflix (via PS3)
Ipad
Itouch
Samsung Fascinate

Cox cable internet

3 story condo. Router on middle floor where we do most of our work.

Right now I have a Belkin F5D8233 and it just doensn't work well. Internet keeps dropping and is really slow on a computer in the same room but 30 feet away.

I would like to connect a hard drive to store all data for everyone to access (including the PS3 for movies).

I was looking at the Netgear WNDR3700. Do I need the 5ghz? I still don't get how to use that.

I was also looking at costco that had Vizio Dual-Band HD Wireless

I don't want to spend much more than $150. I just want something that will work best for all the devices I have.

I'm guessing I need duel so that I can put things like the itouch on G and others on N...is that correct?

Please let me know if you think I should get this Netgear or something else. Thank you!!!!!

I have the WNDR3700 and it works flawlessly. It was easy to setup. I do have a NAS (QNAP 409Turbo) attached and do find I get much better through put than my old Verizon supplied router. Overall I wirelessly connect 4 laptops, 2 iphones, and a Wii. I have hard wired my Directv HD DVR for On demand, and my NAS, which I also have a printer connected to.

Specifically with regard to 5mhz connection I just left whatever the default settings were. From what I've read there are pluses and minuses to it, but doesn't seem 100% necessary. I think it mainly supports the new wireless N speed standard I think my wife's work laptop and her MacBook connect with it with no issue. Supposedly there is less interference and potentially more range.

I have three floors, each about 20x25 with the router located on the second floor. I haven't found any coverage issues or dead spots in the 4 months I've had it. I can connect sitting in a my car in our driveway about 75-100 feet away from the router through a brick building exterior.

One thing to keep in mind is that it isn't going to speed up your internet connection to your service provider, but anything you are doing between any devices on the network, will benefit from the high speeds.

Thanks for the post! Your situation sounds indentical. Good to know it works well for you.

I ordered it online last night. Hoping this solves all of lifes problems...or at least my family complaining about the internet. :)