What's new

Advice on new wireless network setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maxxjr

Occasional Visitor
In my previous residence, the wireless setup was simple...Netgear N300 dual-band router with the WAN side connected to the cable modem. The place was small enough to have good coverage throughout.

The new place presents some twists, and I appreciate advice on how to proceed.

First, I switched to DSL, and the modem includes a G router.

The office with the modem is on one end of the house. A TV where I want video streaming is on the other end of the house. The G wireless has a weak signal at the TV.

I also have a basement, and plan to put the NAS and my "server" down there. These are wired PC's, and my idea was to buy a wireless bridge.

The stairway to the basement is half-way through the house. One idea is to put a repeater there, to get a stronger signal to both the basement and TV.

Am I on the right track here?
Other ideas?
Is there a way to re-use the N300 in this scheme, etc?

If you can't run an Ethernet cable to or near the far end of the house, I suggest you use a pair of powerline adapters to get an Ethernet jack there.

You can always shut off the G radio in the modem/router and use your old NETGEAR.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!