What's new

[Alpha][MU-MIMO] Early preview of 380.59

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There's no MU-MIMO support on the RT-AC68U, so there won't be any MU-MIMO test build for it...
For routers, such as the AC68, that don't support MU-MIMO, they'll still eventually get 380.59 (or later) ? Wasn't sure if they are forking their firmware... I see the fairly significant changes / updates that you list from the ASUS side and was just curious.

For routers, such as the AC68, that don't support MU-MIMO, they'll still eventually get 380.59 (or later) ? Wasn't sure if they are forking their firmware... I see the fairly significant changes / updates that you list from the ASUS side and was just curious.

Far too early for me to know. It will depend on what compatible binary blobs will be available when I get to that point. Worst case scenario would be that 380.59 might not support all models, but a latter release would support the missing models.

From now on (and it's been the case since last year), don't always expect all models to be supported by all new firmware releases, especially until the time where Asus moves older devices onto the same 380 codebase as the newer devices. Each release will support the specific models for which I have compatible closed-source components.

2.JPG

FYI

That setting will most likely be removed in 380.59, as Asus changed the way the DLNA database was being handled. I'm waiting on the final code to determine if the new implementation makes this option obsolete, or if I need to adapt it to the new implementation. They changed at least one nvram name so far.

Alpha 380.59 installed on my AC88U. AC88U is connected to an Arris SB6183 to TWC.

Good news, uptime has been 1 day 5 hours. The Network Map->View Clients took a few hours to settle down (it would show a number like 22, then when viewed go to 0 and spin for quite some time).
As of today it seems to be showing clients fine. I do see some broken icons (which were fine yesterday).

A bigger issue I noticed today is lots of WAN link bouncing after I installed this Alpha. I work from home 4 out of 5 days and my Skype for Business client app would go offline then back online a few times today. I did a grep for WAN Connection: Ethernet in /tmp/syslog.log and here is what I get:

Mar 14 09:02:19 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 14 09:02:38 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 14 09:26:55 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 14 09:27:10 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 14 09:30:40 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 14 09:30:55 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 14 13:11:37 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 14 13:11:52 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 14 22:48:22 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 14 22:48:37 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 15 09:25:31 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 15 09:25:47 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 15 09:31:52 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 15 09:32:08 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 15 09:59:49 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 15 10:00:05 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 15 10:42:56 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 15 10:43:11 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 15 10:43:47 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 15 10:44:06 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 15 10:56:22 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 15 10:56:36 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 15 10:59:06 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 15 10:59:21 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 15 11:03:22 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 15 11:03:37 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 15 11:05:12 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 15 11:05:27 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 15 11:53:55 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 15 11:54:13 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 15 12:00:04 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 15 12:00:20 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 15 12:06:11 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 15 12:06:26 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
admin@RT-AC88U-1840:/tmp#

Most are fairly short - 15-18 seconds. A few closer to 30 seconds.

I checked the Event Log in the Arris cable modem - the last time it reported any issue was Feb.22.

I will monitor for another day or two. If it continues, I can backup to 380.58. It could be my IP provider (TWC). I have seen a few bounces in the past (a few weeks ago, 4 in one day).

This build is working well on my router for the last 24 hours. No issues seen yet.

Couldn't get an internet connection when i uploaded this build.
Reverted back to alpha 4 merlin (last build) and its fine.

I am on movistar pppoe.
Noticed the echo detect has changed on the main wan page.
Would this cause a problem with the set settings?

I had a few more quick WAN bounces late last night and today:

Mar 15 20:28:07 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 15 20:28:21 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 16 09:03:51 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 16 09:04:06 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 16 09:39:58 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 16 09:40:12 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 16 13:14:19 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 16 13:14:35 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 16 13:55:51 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 16 13:56:06 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.

I will revert back to Merlin alpha 380.58 build as well and see how the next few days go.

I had a few more quick WAN bounces late last night and today:

Mar 15 20:28:07 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 15 20:28:21 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 16 09:03:51 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 16 09:04:06 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 16 09:39:58 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 16 09:40:12 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 16 13:14:19 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 16 13:14:35 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Mar 16 13:55:51 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Mar 16 13:56:06 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.

I will revert back to Merlin alpha 380.58 build as well and see how the next few days go.

Since those are Ethernet event, I suspect it's more a hardware issue than a software one. I would look for signs of the modem rebooting itself.

Since those are Ethernet event, I suspect it's more a hardware issue than a software one. I would look for signs of the modem rebooting itself.

Thanks, I took another look at the Arris status page (@ 192.168.100.1). It shows an uptime of 87 days. The Event Log only shows 1 Critical Event on Feb. 22 - No Ranging Response, T3 timeout (which occurs once in a great while).

The last log in the Event Log was Feb 7.

I will go back to 380.58alpha3 in an hour or so and keep an eye on syslog.

Or, I have another idea. Let me re-seat the Ethernet cable between the Arris and AC88u. The duration of the Link down/Link up is fairly short. Maybe a cable issue since I did move the AC88U around to reset the nvram.

Worth a shot before I revert. That, I can do now ;-)

Last edited:
This firmware has been working well for me. No issues since it was loaded 4 days ago. Once I got through the initial issue of the slow GUI after flashing the firmware, it has been rock solid. System log has also been quiet. Only one entry in 4 days...which is good. This firmware is better than the 9.0.0.4_380_2339 Asus beta firmware (which was also good) that I was running previously. Very good job. Thanks, Merlin.

Tried again late last night.
Firmware loads no problems.
But no internet.
Internet light goes pink and stays pink.
Log said "waiting for pad packets".

Tried again late last night.
Firmware loads no problems.
But no internet.
Internet light goes pink and stays pink.
Log said "waiting for pad packets".

Did you do reset by pressing WPS button and then power on, waiting for power light to flash rapidly.

I have Rt-ac88u as well PPPOE connection. After I upgraded from 380.58 alpha 4 I had to factory reset even before I could establish PPPOE connection otherwise I was getting pink light on router.

Tried again with the wps method and same result.
Also mtd-erase2 nvram via telnet and manual reboot plus wps reset before installing and after intalling.
Power flashes 3 times after the other lights come on then the internet goes pink....occasionally flashing red.

Tried a few different LCP echo interval and LCP failure setting changes but to no avail.

Log shows pppd [539]:Timeout waiting for PADO packets.

When i revert back to alpha 4 it connects to internet whilst its still in reboot mode.

Movistar's log in username and password is the same for every user.
Not sure how they identify me but they must do some how.

This is different from other pppoe set ups from when back in the uk where i had my own personal username and password for pppoe.

This may be useful info i hope.

Well Merlin, you have done it again. I changed the cable from the AC88U to the Arris cable modem. A shorter Cat-5e versus the older, longer Cat-5. Not one bounce since I swapped cables. 24 hours ago.

My guess is in moving the router to press in with WPC button to clear the nvram strained the existing cable and the contacts weren't solid. Hence, bounces over the past few days.

Happy to say that 380.59 Early is working fine (at least for the past 24 hours). Tomorrow will be a good test since I am working at home and have a number of Skype for Business calls during the day.

Thanks for the pointer!

Well Merlin, you have done it again. I changed the cable from the AC88U to the Arris cable modem. A shorter Cat-5e versus the older, longer Cat-5. Not one bounce since I swapped cables. 24 hours ago.

My guess is in moving the router to press in with WPC button to clear the nvram strained the existing cable and the contacts weren't solid. Hence, bounces over the past few days.

Happy to say that 380.59 Early is working fine (at least for the past 24 hours). Tomorrow will be a good test since I am working at home and have a number of Skype for Business calls during the day.

Thanks for the pointer!

Keep in mind that Cat5 is only rated for 100 Mbps. You need Cat 5e or higher for Gigabit. That might have been why it was more or less stable.

• Forwarded ports are now configured as exceptions in the UPNP config (apparently to avoid miniupnpd from ever trying to forward a port already manually forwarded)
What problems would this cause?
I forward quite a few ports for online gaming.
And i do have serious issues on fifa in game.

• Forwarded ports are now configured as exceptions in the UPNP config (apparently to avoid miniupnpd from ever trying to forward a port already manually forwarded)
What problems would this cause?
I forward quite a few ports for online gaming.
And i do have serious issues on fifa in game.

It does not cause problems, it prevents problems from happening.

Thanks for the pointer!

Cable must have been the culprit. Over 2 days now, a very long Skype for Bus call this morning and a few this afternoon. Not one bounce. I have written a script that watches syslog.log for WAN was restored messages and sends me an email if one occurs. So far so good.
Can't believe I didn't notice the cable said "Certified for Cat-5"... I have checked all my Cat-5 cables, threw out 3 that were only Cat-5. I am all Cat-5e now.
Thanks for the tip!