What's new

Alternative WAN with an RT-AX88U Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
Am I right in thinking that since the RT-AX88U Pro only has one USB port, that it's not possible to have automatic WAN failover?

If I'm right, then what would be the best way to use an alternative WAN source, if the main internet were to fail and the USB drive was being used for Merlin scripts? For instance, would this work:
  1. Make a backup of the current configuration (especially if point 3 below would be required).
  2. Unmount the USB drive and remove it.
  3. Restore factory defaults (not sure if that would be required).
  4. Install the temporary WAN device into the vacant USB port and set up the router to use it.
  5. Once the normal WAN came back online, reconnect the original USB drive.
  6. If 3 above had not been done, simply reboot the router to restore everything back to normal.
  7. If 3 above had been done, restore the backup configuration and then reboot the router.
Most of the above is just guesswork on my part, so advice from someone who actually knows the correct procedure would be appreciated. It's unlikely that I would need this, but in my view, it's better to be prepared.

You have a single USB port. You have to choose what you are going to be using it for. Seems like this router won't see a week of undisturbed life.

Prepare for issues with Asuswrt Dual WAN implementation, the forum is full of examples and different solutions from scripts to different hardware.

Have you read the user manual for your router?

There are a few Asus support articles (may be dated) that may help one understand Dual WAN and Dual WAN Failover.

The RT-AX88U Pro supports (per it's user manual) 3G/4G USB modems for Internet Access. Further that user manual indicates you can choose, for Dual WAN, a Primary and Secondary WAN with the options being; WAN, USB, Ethernet LAN, and 2.5G WAN.

And yes, that poor router won't see a week of undisturbed tinkering by the occupant that resides between the keyboard and chair. :)

Last edited:
Hmm, I should have known that some of the replies would be a load of BLOK!

@TheLyppardMan, your local service disruptions happen way more often than ISP service disruptions.

Whoever else is using the network based on experience is perhaps already prepared with mobile data plan.

Hmm, I should have known that some of the replies would be a load of BLOK!
Well to be fair you did set your self up for such replies with every new discussion you have start since this one... ;)
An end to tinkering?

Before spending a lot of time on this current project. Do a forum search for Dual WAN failover. More than a few have issues with it not working right on Asus routers. In my quick testing of it with a USB Alcatel Linkzone 2 along with a DSL line it was hit or miss. Sometimes it wouldn't roll over and when it did, it sometimes wouldn't roll back when the main WAN came back on line.

PS: There is also a Dual WAN Failover addon script as well:

Well to be fair you did set your self up for such replies with every new discussion you have start since this one... ;)
An end to tinkering?

Before spending a lot of time on this current project. Do a forum search for Dual WAN failover. More than a few have issues with it not working right on Asus routers. In my quick testing of it with a USB Alcatel Linkzone 2 along with a DSL line it was hit or miss. Sometimes it wouldn't roll over and when it did, it sometimes wouldn't roll back when the main WAN came back on line.

PS: There is also a Dual WAN Failover addon script as well:
I had tried this on a previous router and it behaved the way you have outlined above. But the RT-AX88U Pro only has one USB port and I'm running BACKUPMON and MerlinAU, so that's the difference.

Just to be clear, I'm not planning to "tinker", but I was just trying to find out what my options might be if the internet went down. Probably, the simplest thing would be to just use our mobiles with a temporary extra data plan and then switch on tethering or mobile hotspot.

I had tried this on a previous router and it behaved the way you have outlined above. But the RT-AX88U Pro only has one USB port and I'm running BACKUPMON and MerlinAU, so that's the difference.
If you still have another Asus router (or any router for that matter) available (unused) what about trying to see if that router can somehow be configure as the secondary WAN and connect it to an Ethernet port on the RT-AX88U Pro. That way you are not using a USB port but rather a Ethernet port (or 2.5GB port) on the RT-AX88U Pro router as the second WAN.

PS: Not sure if you could stick a USB hub on the single USB port and have both the USB modem (or what ever) running at the same time as the USB flash drive (storage device). Not sure if the Dual WAN settings will see a USB modem when used with other USB devices via a USB hub.

You need 4G device with LAN port, then Dual WAN between WAN + LAN. The behavior will be perhaps the same though - low reliability.

I would certainly try a hub and see what happens. I've got 3 SSDs hanging off a hub in the one USB 3 port on a GT-AX6000 just fine. It is a powered hub though.

I'm joining the thread, I report that I have successfully applied a 4-port usb 3.2 Gen.1 switch (https://www.waveshare.com/usb3.2-gen1-hub-4u.htm) to the single usb port of the RT-AX88-PRO, which currently has two devices: an ADATA 256MB SSD, and the other leg is my cellphone, with a USB-C / USB -With A-cable to failover. The router detects both devices stably, the switch appears as a USB3.0 device at the Ethernet ports.