What's new

Am I asking too much of my home network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm not going to add any value to this conversation but I did want to make a comment or two.

While we were up to our uh belts in alligators (network issues) our router got fried (area black out). Like you I had had good luck with an old WRT54G so I bought a WRT1900AC. I played with it for about an hour and brought it back. Swapped it for an Asus and never looked back.

I couldn't believe how a simple little thing like a graphical real time traffic monitor could be such a huge help in trouble shooting problems.

A week later I upgraded to Merlin. Now I can even pinpoint traffic to a device.

Over time, using tools like Asus (traffic monitor, client status), Merlin (traffic by device), WiFi Analyzer, an Internet speed test, Netstress and PingPlotter, problems slowly revealed themselves. They showed a problem with our ISP (which they fixed), a couple problems with our local network (which we fixed). The rest we fixed with QoS.

Life is good, we're running well (knock on wood). Only downside is they cut my hours.

BTW: 14-ish devices doesn't sound bad. Never been a fan of analysis by device count. ISPs do that to me all the time. "14 devices? That's your problem. Buy more bandwidth! We just happen to have a special ..."

What the devices are doing is more important.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!