What's new

amtm amtm - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Different flashdrives have different performance on different cluster sizes, this does not depend on the router, but on the controller in the flashdrive. Therefore, preliminary testing of the flashdrive is necessary.
Given the joice, the average user will be overwhelmed, even with a marked default setting.
I'm still not convinced this extra setting is a welcome addition to amtm.

amtm is designed for ease of use for the regular home user, any advance users who want to have choices or change the functionality can do it with the help of trusty old Linux shell. You specifically don't need amtm for the format function, you can run the commands directly and change whatever you wish but for average users Keep It Simple, Stupid (KISS) approach works best.

amtm is designed for ease of use for the regular home user, any advance users who want to have choices or change the functionality can do it with the help of trusty old Linux shell. You specifically don't need amtm for the format function, you can run the commands directly and change whatever you wish but for average users Keep It Simple, Stupid (KISS) approach works best.
How many of you remember this board before the click and run scripts days?
A little Diversion history is on its website: https://diversion.ch/diversion/diversion.html
One thing led to another and this is where we are at now: A wide selection of mature addon scripts that even novices can install and manage with ease. Truly a thriving ecosystem of developers and users we have here.
More magic is coming your way from my side, I just need some more time, as always.

Sometimes I wonder what the scripts/addons situation would look like if I had not joined this board back in 2014.

There is WAY too much rum flowing through my veins right now for me answer that in anything but a cynical, sarcastic bent, but I'm not so far gone as to actually post any of those. ;-)

Cheers.

Sometimes I wonder what the scripts/addons situation would look like if I had not joined this board back in 2014.
Our routers would be a sad lonely shell of themselves....:(

Our routers would be a sad lonely shell of themselves....:(
Lonely perhaps, but the scripts scene would look differently, I'm sure.
Maybe a smarter guy than me would have come up with a better automated menu-driven install and management interface and amtm would be so aware of itself and other scripts that it installs all addons from a backup it made before you even finish setting up a new router.

Maybe a smarter guy than me would have come up with a better automated menu-driven install and management interface and amtm would be so aware of itself and other scripts that it installs all addons from a backup it made before you even finish setting up a new router.
Possibly but I imagine if another person did do it, it wouldn't have the name amtm or have it baked into Merlin firmware. ;) Its definitely come along way and helps put Asus routers at the top of my list of router devices to own.

This can be done even now but not without @RMerlin changing some core router functions, one of them is to enable jffs and scripts by default.

Last edited:
I think the script-scene would look about the same as other non-RMerlin powered routers. Snippets of code in far-flung parts of the 'net, from various points in space and time (applicable mostly to bygone models from various stages of their life) and their relevance very loosely associated with anything we want to do/control today in our networks. At least for most people with normal skill-sets! :)

I remember @thelonelycoder asking me to jump into the waters back in 2014 and the sheer drop off that cliff was (and still is, for me) daunting. I asked if I could wait and he said sure, but wait until you see what will be!

Today, the amtm/RMerlin powered script-scene is a beautiful, sunny beach with many paths and sights to explore and discover at our routing pleasure. And if we do get ourselves on rocky shores as is sometimes bound to happen, the great minds here are always happy to help and guide us back towards the sunshine.

It is not just the increased ease of capabilities that our routers have acquired here. It is a genuine community that truly gives openly, collaborates willingly, and makes this part of the 'net so very approachable from the most virgin ssh novice to the 'new' scripter writers that it has attracted too that have given new capabilities and simplicity to the tasks of securing, connecting, reporting and optimizing our routers.

A huge shout out to all! (I don't want to start listing here... I'm sure to inadvertently forget a few).

This can be done even now but not without @RMerlin changing some core router functions, one of them is to enable jffs and scripts by default.
AFAIK, this is the default since a while ago.

I think the script-scene would look about the same as other non-RMerlin powered routers. Snippets of code in far-flung parts of the 'net, from various points in space and time (applicable mostly to bygone models from various stages of their life) and their relevance very loosely associated with anything we want to do/control today in our networks. At least for most people with normal skill-sets! :)

I remember @thelonelycoder asking me to jump into the waters back in 2014 and the sheer drop off that cliff was (and still is, for me) daunting. I asked if I could wait and he said sure, but wait until you see what will be!

Today, the amtm/RMerlin powered script-scene is a beautiful, sunny beach with many paths and sights to explore and discover at our routing pleasure. And if we do get ourselves on rocky shores as is sometimes bound to happen, the great minds here are always happy to help and guide us back towards the sunshine.

It is not just the increased ease of capabilities that our routers have acquired here. It is a genuine community that truly gives openly, collaborates willingly, and makes this part of the 'net so very approachable from the most virgin ssh novice to the 'new' scripter writers that it has attracted too that have given new capabilities and simplicity to the tasks of securing, connecting, reporting and optimizing our routers.

A huge shout out to all! (I don't want to start listing here... I'm sure to inadvertently forget a few).
I remember asking you to jump into the ad-blocking world back then. I believe your answer was a smiley face followed by stuttering. This and other reactions led me to develop what became AB-Solution, with its fully automated install procedure.
At one time back then, @Adamm cobbled together some if and then code in Melbourne and tentatively announced his firewall enhancement script. The rest is just history.

@thelonelycoder, I believe your version is more correct! My memory isn't what it used to be, after all. :)

@thelonelycoder, I believe your version is more correct! My memory isn't what it used to be, after all. :)
So, this board has members with memory loss, poor sighting, empty pockets, a drinking problem and the common feature-request-itis.
Just like in the real life.

So, this board has members with memory loss, poor sighting, empty pockets, a drinking problem and the common feature-request-itis.
Just like in the real life.
Yep, one big happy dysfunctional family. :D

Happy and dysfunctional, sure. But at least our scripts work! :D