What's new

Any reason to jump ship from Asus & Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GoNz0

Very Senior Member
I used to use DD-WRT on my WNDR4500 + WNDR3700 & found it easy enough to get on with but I would rather avoid it if it means losing hardware NAT on a newer router.

I have since moved to an Asus N66u + AC68u.

But I bricked my N66u yesterday, oh well I wanted a 2nd AC router anyway as I used the 68u as a AP for my laptop.

Should I get a 2nd 68u or move onto a Netgear r7000 or even the Linksys Linksys WRT1900AC?

Thanks for any input!

Ship jumped, Amazon had a warehouse deal on a Linksys WRT1900AC for a few quid more than me going to pcworld today. Lets see how this thing runs!

Ship jumped, Amazon had a warehouse deal on a Linksys WRT1900AC for a few quid more than me going to pcworld today. Lets see how this thing runs!

You might be disappointed with the lack of features from WRT1900AC especially coming from ASUS Merlin firmware. However, its USB3.0 and Esata performance is top-notch. If you're into media servers or basic NAS, you'll probably like WRT1900AC but if you're an advanced user that needs VPN, QoS, multiple DNS, VLAN, 3rd party firmware, overclocking, optware, torrent client, Dual WAN, print server, command line interface for scripting, etc, you might return your WRT1900AC and get another 68U or even the 87U.

Pretty much everything you listed isn't something I use. I still have a 68u, this is replacing a 66u as the main router. If the lack of features become an issue I will swap it with the 68u and turn it into an ap.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I bricked my n66 yesterday too. But, I bought the R7000. Installed DD-WRT today. Love the "addblocking" feature.

I did look into that but you lose hardware NAT.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

how does hardware NAT cope with port triggering and other inbound NAT things that require stateful packet inspection? Or even port forwarding based on protocol type?
Like passive mode FTP?

Or am I missing something?

any chance in a link to the details on this ?

Hardware acceleration is working as of Kong build 24500 (July 06) :)

<Kong> said:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=906542#906542
falcon111 said:
-hw accelerated nat

Is it working with QoS enabled?

Yes and as far as I can tell it is quite stable, haven't seen a problem so far, of course this doesn't mean that it will work for everyone.

But I consider to remove the "experimental" warning from the next release.

Please note this issue has not been fixed yet:
<Kong> said:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=908493#908493
User older build without hw acceleration e.g. 24345, we are aware of issues with incoming udp packages in case no connection has been established with the sender yet..

so it is working but it is broken ?

50/50 on the WRT, might box it and have amazon swap it for another 68U as I can't find a date or price for UK stock of the 67u.

Already having issues with sites slowing to a crawl.

the N66 had an sdcard inside it to run DNSCrypt, All I need to do is stick a USB drive in and do the same on a 68u

*edit, going to give it a blast as an access point and use the 68 as the router!

(amazon are giving away a AC usb dongle with the R7000 and a few other routers (UK) )

*edit2

they disable USB in bridge mode, if I wan't to do it the manual way I can't use the wan port as lan.

sucks. another 68u will be ordered.

Last edited:
Any benchmark of DD-WRT with ddtm enabled yet?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

how does hardware NAT cope with port triggering and other inbound NAT things that require stateful packet inspection? Or even port forwarding based on protocol type?
Like passive mode FTP?

Or am I missing something?

The broadcom firmware has a binary object that accelerates certain functions - once those functions are overridden, the binary blob is no longer used, and performance suffers...

rmerlin had a link in another post that discussed this in more detail...

sfx

Any benchmark of DD-WRT with ddtm enabled yet?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Sorry, not sure what ddtm is. Is that related to CTF, or what?

Thanks.

WRT1900 has been booked for collection, 68u arrives this morning. best to stick with what you know.

Merlin really looks after us with his features. As much as I like DD-WRT on my old netgears Merlins spit and polish make life so easy.

WRT1900 has been booked for collection, 68u arrives this morning. best to stick with what you know.

Merlin really looks after us with his features. As much as I like DD-WRT on my old netgears Merlins spit and polish make life so easy.

Well, router choice all depends on people's needs. If I live in UK though, I wouldn't get any router without ways to change region such as WRT1900AC.

How did y'all happen to brick your N66s?

I thought these were almost 'unbrickable'...

Two on the same day. How coincidental...

I caught the insert key and never noticed when I highlighted 2 characters and typed GB :(.

Sorry, not sure what ddtm is. Is that related to CTF, or what?

Thanks.

Sorry, I meant ddtb (DD-WRT Turbo Boost). It's Brainslayer's re-implementation of basic CTF in an open-source module that he wrote and is pretty much platform-agnostic. It does at least what CTF does at the Netfilter level, accelerating packet handling. It doesn't include more advanced HW-related features however such as Broadcom's Flow Accelerator, but it still brings a pretty sizeable performance boost in theory.

How did y'all happen to brick your N66s?

I thought these were almost 'unbrickable'...

Two on the same day. How coincidental...

Lot of people messing with the CFE lately because they want to change their router's regulatory region. CFE tinkering is rarely a good idea...

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!