What's new

Anybody try the Netgear WNDR4500?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Reviews often don't uncover what many users experience as "buggy routers". Real world testing will uncover this.

Keep in mind though that many "buggy routers" really aren't router defects. Its often user error, config issues, poor client drivers, nasty RF environments, etc....

Regardless of what seems to be typical consumer thinking, wireless will not be as reliable as wired (anytime soon, if ever).

BTW, I have a WNDR3700V2 and it works beautifully as an AP. I think I've rebooted it twice in 5 months. I get nearly 80Mb/s transfer rate to my NAS on a regular basis. One time transfer rate dropped a bit and a reboot corrected that. The other time I upgraded the firmware. Other than those two events, I don't think I've touched it.

Hello Google!

Try Google using "WNDR4500 review" as your search term. Plenty of reviews to be found. Also, read Netgear's Forum thread on the 4500.

Try Google using "WNDR4500 review" as your search term. Plenty of reviews to be found. Also, read Netgear's Forum thread on the 4500.

I think he was looking for a review from the illustrious staff of SNB, when looking for a review of a particular movie I start with those reviewers that I trust, share a point of view with, say A.O Scott at the Times.

I suspect the same is true for hardware, you find a reviewer you trust, and hope they have reviewed the equipment you are looking at.

I think he was looking for a review from the illustrious staff of SNB, when looking for a review of a particular movie I start with those reviewers that I trust, share a point of view with, say A.O Scott at the Times.

I suspect the same is true for hardware, you find a reviewer you trust, and hope they have reviewed the equipment you are looking at.
Since there isn't one on SNB we will to have to wait. To accommodate the request for a review and potential answers to questions, I suggested looking elsewhere and gave specifics.

I prefer to read more than one review, more than one end-user's experiences. Corroboration is an important element in purchase decisions for me.

I had a 4500. It was returned and I await a replacement unit. My experiences do not match the majority and I have commented elsewhere on the matter. The 3800 I own works as expected, but others have had issues.

Whatever SNB finds in their evaluation, they may not experience on their own or read about other people's issues with these routers. That is one reason why I find it important to corroborate by reading multiple sources.

To each their own.

Whatever SNB finds in their evaluation, they may not experience on their own or read about other people's issues with these routers.
When I review a product, I generally don't read other reviews, since I don't want to bias the review by others experiences.

The exception is that if I run into a problem, I will check for evidence of it in other reviews or perhaps over on Amazon.

I'm currently working on the 4500 review. Wired routing results have already been posted and 3 stream N results should be posted by end of today.

Reviews often don't uncover what many users experience as "buggy routers". Real world testing will uncover this.

Keep in mind though that many "buggy routers" really aren't router defects. Its often user error, config issues, poor client drivers, nasty RF environments, etc....

Regardless of what seems to be typical consumer thinking, wireless will not be as reliable as wired (anytime soon, if ever).

BTW, I have a WNDR3700V2 and it works beautifully as an AP. I think I've rebooted it twice in 5 months. I get nearly 80Mb/s transfer rate to my NAS on a regular basis. One time transfer rate dropped a bit and a reboot corrected that. The other time I upgraded the firmware. Other than those two events, I don't think I've touched it.
I remember when I had the WNDR3700v2 all I had was DHCP problems. My computer would have a private 169. ip address. I hear if your not using windows for some reason the DHCP server works better. Are you using windows clients?

I remember when I had the WNDR3700v2 all I had was DHCP problems. My computer would have a private 169. ip address. I hear if your not using windows for some reason the DHCP server works better. Are you using windows clients?

Yes, all Windows here.

WNDR3700V2 is AP only. DHCP being handled by Zyxel USG.

I used a WNDR3700v1 for a couple of years, and it worked great with Windows clients (plus an iPhone) for me. Also, I've been using a WNDA3100v2 and a WNCE2001 for over a year, and they've both been great as well.

The WNDA3100v2 and WNCE2001 have continued to work perfectly after switching to a Linksys router a few months ago.

Individual experience may vary of course, as with all networking components. But if Netgear came out with a new product at the time when I needed it, and it was right for my needs and for future growth, I'd have no problems buying and using it.