What's new

Asus DSL-AX82U problems need tech help please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SamT98

Occasional Visitor
Morning all, I’ve switched out the BT smarthub because it was performing shockingly. WiFi drop out and in general poor performance. I went and bought this new one ASUS DSL AX82U however I’m struggling with high ping figures on a wired connection. As you can see below there are 2 graphs. One from the original BT smarthub 2 and the other from the ASUS one. I can’t work out what is causing the ASUS one to fluctuate all the way up to 65ms at times yet the BT one seems to keep a steady line under 15ms.

I’ve got the ASUS plugged in directly straight to the fibre line in a pppoe connection. I will also attach the setup pics on my router aswell. Can someone help me figure this out please? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3762.jpeg
    IMG_3762.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3763.jpeg
    IMG_3763.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 28
That’s just what it did when I put in the bt username and password. I haven’t changed anything other than the username and password setting
Have you tried it without having the setting "Enable VPN + DHCP Connection" enabled?

Another thought (though I could be talking out of my arse) is perhaps the MTU size is causing the issue - try modifying it.

Have you tried it without having the setting "Enable VPN + DHCP Connection" enabled?

Another thought (though I could be talking out of my arse) is perhaps the MTU size is causing the issue - try modifying it.
Yh tried them both made no difference at all

Just changed firmware back to stock the problem has disappeared. It seems the latest firmware is buggy but they’ve not done anything since last year with it

Right-o. What versions did you change from and to?
From latest firmware 3.0.0.4.388_23756 to stock firmware which is 3.0.0.4.386_42438. I have just gone back to latest firmware and latency spiking has returned. What is it in the firmware that’s causing this?

Last edited:
From latest firmware 3.0.0.4.388_22048 to stick firmware which is 3.0.0.4.386_42438.
386_42438 was the initial firmware (2021/04/20) and there's been six further releases.
I see the latest being 388_23756 (2023/08/11) not the one prior that you were on and thought was the latest - 388_22048 (2022/12/29)

386_42438 was the initial firmware (2021/04/20) and there's been six further releases.
I see the latest being 388_23756 (2023/08/11) not the one prior that you were on and thought was the latest - 388_22048 (2022/12/29)
Yh sorry meant the one above that I was reading the wrong one when trying 😂. I’m currently on 22048 the one below the latest release and it’s working great. Something is definitely out of configuration with the latest one

There's the GNUton/Merlin firmware if you want to try that -
Tried the Merlin one this morning and wow it was shockingly bad even worse with ping spikes up to 110 every 5 seconds. Could my ISP be to blame here. I live in a block of flats. Only thing I can think of is congestion at the exchange? It’s always at its worst weekends or weekdays between 3pm and 10pm

If you're saying it's the firmware then we have to accept it as the cause, if you're now concerned it is the time of day and congestion then we have to accept that. It's kind of hard being (thousands of) kms away to tell what is going on.

One thing that just hit me: How exactly do you connect the DSL-AX82U "directly to the fiber line"? Is there an ONT, or telephone line to the router?

If you're saying it's the firmware then we have to accept it as the cause, if you're now concerned it is the time of day and congestion then we have to accept that. It's kind of hard being (thousands of) kms away to tell what is going on.

One thing that just hit me: How exactly do you connect the DSL-AX82U "directly to the fiber line"? Is there an ONT, or telephone line to the router?
Yes it’s an ONT connection directly to that. I was only thinking it could possibly be congestion but really I don’t know if that’s a possibility. I’m now returning the router back to Amazon and have the AX86 U pro on the way. Gonna give that a go and if it’s the same thing then definitely it’s an ISP issue. Don’t know till I try these things.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online