What's new

Asus Router only reaching 300MBPS.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DaiGurren

New Around Here
So i recently bought and set up a new router being the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AXE16000, and I connected it to my local ISP. The problem i'm having is that my connection is the same as when i was using my ISPs default router. Can anyone give me advice on what may be causing my router to cap out around the same down/upload speed as the default router?

Be more specific. How are you testing it? With tools running on the router itself, or from a LAN device? Wired or wireless? Do you have anything like QoS or bandwidth limiting enabled (e.g., AiProtection)?

P.S. Not to be picky, but just so we're on the same page; I assume you meant 300Mbps (bits), NOT 300MBps (bytes).

Last edited:
Be more specific. How are you testing it? With tools running on the router itself, or from a LAN device? Wired or wireless? Do you have anything like QoS or bandwidth limiting enabled (e.g., AiProtection)?
For testing it i'm testing the internet speed through my pc on ookla.
As for it its wireless or lan i have it on lan reaching around 379Mbps last i checked.
But on wireless i get around 180-160mbps if on ps5.
As for the rest of the stuff. I just unboxed it and followed the steps i would for a regular router. Outside of that i set up the app and haven't messed with any of its settings since this is my first time using anything outside of my providers default router. So no i haven't messed with QoS or checked if i have bandwidth limiting enabled.

Last edited:
And what is your ISP promising in terms of throughput? And did the ISP router provide it?

And what is your ISP promising in terms of throughput? And did the ISP router provide it?
Last I checked with my ISP I should be getting somewhere from 300Mbps up to 1Gig. as for the second half of this the isp router did clock around a download speed of 360-370Mbps last i had it set up. so i guess i could say yes?

P.S. Not to be picky, but just so we're on the same page; I assume you meant 300Mbps (bits), NOT 300MBps (bytes).
yes sorry about the confusion i am kind of new to this so i did mean bits lol.

Last I checked with my ISP I should be getting somewhere from 300mbps up to 1Gig. as for the second half of this the isp router did clock around a download speed of 360-370mbps last i had it set up. so i guess i could say yes?

Well that's quite a gap (300-1000Mbps). Hard to know if your new router is the issue given that much variance.

Well that's quite a gap (300-1000Mbps). Hard to know if your new router is the issue given that much variance.
I'm assuming it's down to me or settings really. But just in case I'm planning to run by my provider today to double check if i'm correct on what I should be getting.

For testing it i'm testing the internet speed through my pc on ookla.
As for it its wireless or lan i have it on lan reaching around 379Mbps last i checked.
... the isp router did clock around a download speed of 360-370Mbps last i had it set up.
So this is nothing to do with your new router as the speed is the same with the ISP router. So this is an ISP issue.

But on wireless i get around 180-160mbps if on ps5.
Ignore the PS5's built-in speed test. It's completely inaccurate and always reports slower than real-world speeds.

Last I checked with my ISP I should be getting somewhere from 300Mbps up to 1Gig. as for the second half of this the isp router did clock around a download speed of 360-370Mbps last i had it set up. so i guess i could say yes?
who is your ISP? I know with my cable service provider, I have an upload range of 30 to 200mbps. The stipulation goes that it depends on the provisioning available in the area I live. While my download is above 1,800 -2gbps, my upload is only about 45mbps fully capped out. The reason why is because that is the provisioning max for my area at the moment. The plan I pay for supports up to 200mbps if the area is provisioned at that speed.

Last edited:
who is your ISP? I know with my cable service provider, I have an upload range of 30 to 200mbps. The stipulation goes that it depends on the provisioning available in the area I live. While my download is above 1,800 -2gbps, my upload is only about 45mbps fully capped out. The reason why is because that is the provisioning max for my area at the moment. The plan I pay for supports up to 200mbps if the area is provisioned at that speed.
So many people seem to get screwed by their ISP's. Got a friend in Australia that 1 Gbps/5 Mbps at one point and the upload was so slow that it prevented him from using the download properly. You seem to be in a similar situation. What's the point of these crappy asymmetric speeds?

So many people seem to get screwed by their ISP's. Got a friend in Australia that 1 Gbps/5 Mbps at one point and the upload was so slow that it prevented him from using the download properly. You seem to be in a similar situation. What's the point of these crappy asymmetric speeds?
The problem is most companies still use copper cables. So they can’t do symmetric down/up I am really lucky as my provider in the UK is cityfibre(Yayzi) & I get down 2.3GB/Up 2.3GB.

Not according to virgin media when I used them as i asked them why they never rolled out symmetrical speeds and that’s the answer i got
Don't confuse cable modems with copper wires.
Ethernet can do 10 Gbps over copper.

DOCSIS which is the standard for cable modems, hasn't been capable of symmetric speeds, but up to 1-2 Gbps, a DOCSIS 3.1 modem can do it.
DOCSIS 4 supports upload speeds of up to 6 Gbps, both 3.1 and 4 can do 10 Gbps down.

Don't confuse cable modems with copper wires.
Ethernet can do 10 Gbps over copper.

DOCSIS which is the standard for cable modems, hasn't been capable of symmetric speeds, but up to 1-2 Gbps, a DOCSIS 3.1 modem can do it.
DOCSIS 4 supports upload speeds of up to 6 Gbps, both 3.1 and 4 can do 10 Gbps down.
Spectrum cable company is working on the new DOCSIS 4 around me. I may end up getting it before AT&T fiber which is only blocks from my house but has been for years.