What's new

Asus RT-AC3100 vs RT-AC3200 range

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

badger68

New Around Here
Hi folks,

I have been trying to decide between AC3100 and AC3200. I am upgrading from RT-N16.
I read a lot about the speeds, but how does the range comparison look like?
I need to place my router in a spot that is far from being the best for such purpose and I cannot change it.
I went ahead and grabbed AC3200, but it didn't really impress me with the range. I get barely any signal in one of the rooms. I can still exchange the AC3200 for AC3100. Would the AC3100 give me a better range? I don't have too many clients and I don't really need the second 5GHz band.

Last edited:
Range is probably quite similar between the two models.

Range is pretty much as good as it can get with modern high-end routers, you are hitting the limits of the laws of physics, where the 5 GHz band will quickly attenuate as it hits obstacles. Going with a repeater, access point or powerline adapters is the only real solution to coverage problems.

RMerlin,

Thanks for your quick response!
Does that mean that the radio transmitters operate with the same power on both routers? Are they the same? Is there any way to increase the power?
I read some reviews where people said that AC3100 worked better than AC3200, especially further from the router. I'm curious what is causing the differences.
AC3100 is also significantly more expensive with only one 5GHz band. Does that mean that it has better internal elements?

RMerlin,

Thanks for your quick response!
Does that mean that the radio transmitters operate with the same power on both routers? Are they the same? Is there any way to increase the power?

That's correct. The maximum allowed power is determined by country regulations. Manufacturers can't go beyond those legal limits.

I read some reviews where people said that AC3100 worked better than AC3200, especially further from the router. I'm curious what is causing the differences.

Could be the newer radio used by the RT-AC3100 is doing a better job at catching weak signals or dealing with noises. My recommendation is to check @thiggins's review. The RT-AC3100 is identical to the RT-AC88U (minus the extra 4 Ethernet ports), so you can use his database to compare the RT-AC3200 with the RT-AC88U.

AC3100 is also significantly more expensive with only one 5GHz band. Does that mean that it has better internal elements?

It supports 4 streams instead of 3 (so, up to 2100 Mbps on the 5 GHz band in theory, provided you have a compatible wireless adapter), and it has a 1.4 GHz CPU instead of 1 GHz. It also has double the RAM. It's simply one generation newer, with better specifications in general.

Thanks once again!

I checked specs for both routers. The radios are indeed different.

2.4GHz

AC3100:
- BCM4366 4x4 2.4/5G single chip 802.11ac SoC
- Skyworks SE2623L 2.4 GHz power amp (x4)
- Skyworks SKY85201-11 2.4 GHz SPDT switch w/ LNA (x4)

AC3200
- Broadcom BCM43602
- Richwave RTC6649E 2.4 GHz power amp (x3)

5GHz

AC3100
- RFMD RFPA5542 5 GHz PA module (x4)
- Skyworks SKY85605-11 5 GHz SPDT switch w/ LNA (x4)

AC3200
- Broadcom BCM43602
- Skyworks 5003L1 5 GHz Power Amps (x3)
NOTE: There are two 5 GHz radios.

Of course, there is probably no way to say which one is better, but because of the differences we can probably expect different behavior.

but because of the differences we can probably expect different behavior.
sure the 3100 is capable of quirte a biy more speed if you had a 2156M adapter to go with it , but as merlin has suggested range and coverage there is very little between a 1900ac router to a 5300ac router and those in between

we have come to the point where if even a 1900ac router wont cover your needs its time to look at alternative solutions to expand the lan / wlan nd that includes running ethernet and a second AP or employing EOP / power line adapter and i all that fails and you desperate then look at repeaters and extenders

I saw 2 different HW versions of the 3100 at best buy. Version 1 and 2. Is there a difference?

Thanks once again!

I checked specs for both routers. The radios are indeed different.

2.4GHz

AC3100:
- Skyworks SE2623L 2.4 GHz power amp (x4)
- Skyworks SKY85201-11 2.4 GHz SPDT switch w/ LNA (x4)

AC3200
- Broadcom BCM43602
- Richwave RTC6649E 2.4 GHz power amp (x3)

5GHz

AC3100
- RFMD RFPA5542 5 GHz PA module (x4)
- Skyworks SKY85605-11 5 GHz SPDT switch w/ LNA (x4)

AC3200
- Broadcom BCM43602
- Skyworks 5003L1 5 GHz Power Amps (x3)
NOTE: There are two 5 GHz radios.

Of course, there is probably no way to say which one is better, but because of the differences we can probably expect different behavior.
Great discovery lol....
3100 is new generation. It's nothing to compare. New one is better, but the 5300 is successor of 3200 (both two 5GHz radios)

sure the 3100 is capable of quirte a biy more speed if you had a 2156M adapter to go with it , but as merlin has suggested range and coverage there is very little between a 1900ac router to a 5300ac router and those in between

we have come to the point where if even a 1900ac router wont cover your needs its time to look at alternative solutions to expand the lan / wlan nd that includes running ethernet and a second AP or employing EOP / power line adapter and i all that fails and you desperate then look at repeaters and extenders

The AC3100 is a much better modem. Here is a link to one review of many saying how much better it is then the 32oo. I can speak on my behalf that I bought the 32oo and it would not reach out to my yard where I needed it so I bought the 3100 and it reaches further and it is much much faster in every aspect I am using it for. http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-rt-ac88u-router/

The AC3100 is a much better modem. Here is a link to one review of many saying how much better it is then the 32oo. I can speak on my behalf that I bought the 32oo and it would not reach out to my yard where I needed it so I bought the 3100 and it reaches further and it is much much faster in every aspect I am using it for. http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-rt-ac88u-router/

Just a small correction; the RT-AC3100 is a router (not a modem). :)

Agree that it is a superior model to the older RT-AC3200.

Here is a link to one review of many saying how much better it is then the 32oo.

lol thats cnet , he gets excited about everything and not a lot of technical details

as i said the actual wireless coverage between the 1900ac 68u and the 3100 88u is marginal

the 3200 i found had lower coverage for some reason as did the 2350 87u

see

i havnt tested the ac3100 as its not available in my region but its should in theory be comparable to the 88u

Attachments

• image1(1).jpg
    image1(1).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 3,874
Last edited:
the 3200 i found had lower coverage for some reason as did the 2350 87u

I'm not surprised - near field interference between the two 5GHz radios in close proximity...

Hard problem to solve...

(everyone gave me a hard time at the kool-aid station when Broadcom was pushing X-Stream and SmartConnect - who's laughing now?)

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!