What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 issues and impressions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Put it in router mode, make sure the DDNS server is enabled, and give it a different name. That way, the old name will no longer be associated with that router's MAC, and it will become available for use with the new router.

Still didn't work.

Still didn't work.

You must have missed a step somewhere, because freeing the DDNS username by registering a different one definitely works. Quite a few users did it in the past.

Setting up with 3 ssid and assigning the clients manually is working well , the AC clients are blazing fast on radio 5.2 , phones and pads on 5.1 and the other mixed n clients on 2.4

Due to ongoing issues with Smart Connect, I'm going to go down this path.

Is the general rule to keep phones and tablets off of the 5.2 radio, even if they have AC (e.g. iPhone 6) or would that be OK to put on the 5.2 radio as well without slowing down laptops/PCs?

Also, where would you guys suggest putting things like a Roku Stick (2.4GHz or 5Ghz N)?

Due to ongoing issues with Smart Connect, I'm going to go down this path.

Is the general rule to keep phones and tablets off of the 5.2 radio, even if they have AC (e.g. iPhone 6) or would that be OK to put on the 5.2 radio as well without slowing down laptops/PCs?

Also, where would you guys suggest putting things like a Roku Stick (2.4GHz or 5Ghz N)?

I would put low bandwidth, 802.11N devices such as phones and tablets on the 2.4 GHz band.

Use the first 5 GHz band for anything 802.11AC
Use the second 5 GHz band for anything 802.11N and which requires high performance, such as the Roku.

Merlin, can we expect your firmware update sometime in March?

Merlin, can we expect your firmware update sometime in March?

No idea, there's been no new source code from Asus since the alpha build I released, so for now you can safely use that alpha build. It uses the same code as Asus's 378_4129.

No idea, there's been no new source code from Asus since the alpha build I released, so for now you can safely use that alpha build. It uses the same code as Asus's 378_4129.

Yes 4 days and so far no problems with the alpha build .

Is the Alpha build available for download and test?

AC87U

I have a question for you merlin though,

I am setting up a public library network.
I am using 6 RT-AC87Us on his network set up.
One, as my main router and five of those, as access points.
The network works when 2 APs are connected to a switch but once a third AP is connected, doesn't matter which ever of the 3 remaining RT-AC87Us, the light on the network switch will just start flickering rapidly and would drop connection right away. I would not be able to access anything anymore as well as would not be able to ping any device on the network even the main router's IP. As soon as the third AP is removed, network would work fine again.

What do you think is the problem? I've tried multiple firmwares and asus even gave me a BETA version for the firmware. But im still having the same problem.

I have a question for you merlin though,

I am setting up a public library network.
I am using 6 RT-AC87Us on his network set up.
One, as my main router and five of those, as access points.
The network works when 2 APs are connected to a switch but once a third AP is connected, doesn't matter which ever of the 3 remaining RT-AC87Us, the light on the network switch will just start flickering rapidly and would drop connection right away. I would not be able to access anything anymore as well as would not be able to ping any device on the network even the main router's IP. As soon as the third AP is removed, network would work fine again.

What do you think is the problem? I've tried multiple firmwares and asus even gave me a BETA version for the firmware. But im still having the same problem.

No idea, that's something for Asus to look into. I've seen a few users reporting issues when having multiple RT-AC87U on the same network, however I have no idea what would be causing those issues.

Might be worth validating that it's not a defective port or a defective cable at your switch's level, just to be safe, in case your issues might be a different one.

No idea, that's something for Asus to look into. I've seen a few users reporting issues when having multiple RT-AC87U on the same network, however I have no idea what would be causing those issues.

Might be worth validating that it's not a defective port or a defective cable at your switch's level, just to be safe, in case your issues might be a different one.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Unfortunately I have replaced the cable and the Switch I have is Newly purchased. I'm sure it's working fine. But I appreciate your response. But please get back to me If you think you have something I can try.:):):)

A new part is not a guarantee of a working part...

I would still be testing with another good known switch.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Unfortunately I have replaced the cable and the Switch I have is Newly purchased. I'm sure it's working fine. But I appreciate your response. But please get back to me If you think you have something I can try.:):):)

Just try swapping two ports to see if the issue moves, or remains on the same port.

Also make sure you didn't accidentally loaded a saved config file that was generated for another router, as you might then have two devices with the same MACs.

Is there a thread/readme for this, detailing what is added/different from the source?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!