What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 issues and impressions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

few day 1 impressions...coming from a ac68

have a 3000sq ft single story house that's more of a stretched elongated rectangle then a square, router resides on one extreme end, so yeah, its always been a struggle to get a connection to the far end, its always taken repeaters, etc...

using it with the triple connect(forget what it is actually called, auto band switching) feature on

As I have seen merlin post before, new routers aren't going to improve range much, this is the case here as well...its a bit better then what my ac68u was doing but I also think most of this is from new router smell as in, newer routers perform great when you first use them but performance degrades over time. The performance I am getting today I do remember seeing from my ac68u when it was new as well. throughput felt and seemed higher, especially at close distances to the router. From my memory, I never saw the numbers I got today when the ac68u was new, nothing mind blowing but as an example, I may hit 80-90 mbps on a iPhone 6s on the 68u with speedtest app, was getting 120-130mbps on the ac3200. As far as I can tell, while range is roughly the same compared to a new 68u(its a theme I can't help but reiterate, in all the routers I had, a router on day 1 wasn't the same device 8-10months down the line), it's eliminated a deadspot or two along the way. Yes, while not fast enuf to stream 1080p, I can now check twitter from a previously deadspot bathroom :)

I played around a bit with using various repeaters I had, setting 68u in repeater mode etc and came across a lot of the same issues everyone has with repeaters and things like that, conflicts, uneven performance, lack of consistency and so on so for time being as I assess this device for me, I am not going to use repeaters and see how this goes over the next day or two. 68u is going into bridge mode for time being, it worked great as a repeater at first but I found myself in a confusing zone in my master bedroom on the phone as at times the connection was great, at other times it sunk badly as it would get confused as to which device to latch on to. Played around with the repeater being the same ssid, tried it with different ssid and there were things I didn't like about that setup either. the bulk of this is common to every router out there. only bring it up to point out, no the ac3200 is not the holy grail of routers.

Physically, Routers get warm to hot, this one is no different, the top faceplate is warm to the touch. Playing with the antenna orientation definitely is a factor on throughput at long range. with 6 antennas, asthetically it looks fairly silly, not sure any of care though. Its fairly big footprint wise.

I would say when all was said and done, I probably had well over 35+ devices that would connect to the router so when the concurrent device number rises, I can feel the load on the network, hence why I wanted to give this particular one a go. Family of 4, everyone has a phone and a tablet, few laptops, dropcam, desktop, 5-6 consoles, connected tvs, synology nas, a few apple tvs, firestick, various handheld gaming devices, airplay speakers, and so on. Its quite a load. If performance wise I get similar performance to the 68u (which at this point I think over time, I will) yet it handles better when under load and assault from the multitude of devices, it will probably be a keeper for that fact alone. I also like the fact that I have a 68u that's now going to become one heck of a repeater or bridge. If eventually merlin has a go at this with his fw releases, i'll be even more sold about the choice.

Lets see where this goes, but it's not a day 1 return for me unlike what I did with a few Linksys and netgear high end models I have tried over the years. at the same time, not throwing away the box and receipt either. You can lose hours playing around with these things and get so little accomplished, only the test of time will expose issues here.

That's right fellahs, so don't forget to Donate. We have to get Merlin a unit

No need to, I received one from Asus today. However it will be a few weeks before I'm ready to release anything for this specific model. Current priority is finalizing 378.50. After that I'll wait for Asus to release a first GPL release for this particular model, and I'll need to update my code for the SDK 7.x this model uses.

That's GREAT news Merlin!!! Thanks for letting us know and thank you ASUS! :cool:

P.S. Still donate for the work, fellahs! :)

Anyone with the RT-AC3200 can answer this one, actually:

Did you bother to load the CD it came with? Or did you just plug it in, went to
192.168.1.1, started Smart Connect, Upgraded Firmware when asked and away you went.... never using the CD?

You don't need the CD. Only a browser on a connected machine.

Would it be correct to assume this device is based on the XStream block diagram like the one in the Netgear R8000 review?

Would love to see some pictures of the board design!

Can't find anyone selling this in the UK yet :(

Pretty sure Tim will have a review up soon enough. Will really enjoy seeing RMerlin extend his magic to this router, too.

Last edited:
ssh...

You are seeing the benefits of AC3200 class, i.e. higher TOTAL bandwidth capacity. The more 5 GHz devices you have, the better, since there are two 5 GHz radios to share the load and separate fast and slow devices.

ssh...

You are seeing the benefits of AC3200 class, i.e. higher TOTAL bandwidth capacity. The more 5 GHz devices you have, the better, since there are two 5 GHz radios to share the load and separate fast and slow devices.

Yeah, I knew I probably wouldn't get that last 20 feet of range I had been seeking for years now but so far things seem to behave better on the load end of things. I did a quick count and had upwards of 45-50 devices that can connect wifi with no less then 8-10 connected currently as a minimum. It seems to be delivering there and so far, again, especially noticeable at closer range throughout seems to be higher.

I will see the odd hitch in connection here and there,feels like it may be that switch in bands. I lost connection typing this on my phone for a second or two back to lte as I logged in on the site from phone just now.

I will see the odd hitch in connection here and there,feels like it may be that switch in bands. I lost connection typing this on my phone for a second or two back to lte as I logged in on the site from phone just now.

That's exactly the same thing I am seeing.

Ya think a Firmware Update could fix that or just nature of the beast with tri-band smart connect?

I really hope that this would appear in the UK, i want one to use and to hack around. Still it was nice of asus to give RMerlin one for free, i guess they really do appreciate RMerlin's work since he does boost sales with his firmware lol. They should be giving him sales bonus :p.

Last edited:
I managed to speak to one of the ASUS UK product managers today.

I asked 2 questions:

Q.When will the RT-AC68P (aka RT-AC68U v2) be available in the UK?
A. Unable to give an estimate right now.

Q. When will the RT-AC3200 be available in the UK?
A. April 2015

So the UK people got a few months to wait for the AC3200 :(

For anybody East Coast US who is trying to get one, Micro Center has it in stock (sorry @pulp, not in Canada)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

For anybody East Coast US who is trying to get one, Micro Center has it in stock (sorry @pulp, not in Canada)

Well, you gave me hope at least.... it's on the right coast now. Just need to go a li'l North! Any day now... :D

When I first saw a picture of the Asus AC3200 I couldn't help but think April fools had come early :p

I got a RT-AC87U a few months ago, it is a nice router but in reality the high end wireless features such as MU-MIMO can't be used by most wireless clients at the present time.

I suspect a price of £250+ for the AC3200.

When I first saw a picture of the Asus AC3200 I couldn't help but think April fools had come early :p

I got a RT-AC87U a few months ago, it is a nice router but in reality the high end wireless features such as MU-MIMO can't be used by most wireless clients at the present time.

I suspect a price of £250+ for the AC3200.

They copied a bit the Netgear R7000 design

How many more antennas do we need?

orLurD1.png

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!