What's new

Asus RT-AC3200 issues and impressions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just updated to the firmware version 378_4129. (@maylyn thanks for the info!)

1. Same bug (found on 378_3883) still exists.
Even after "uPnP Service" under "WAN" is disabled for sure, "Router Security Assessment" under "AiProtection" says that uPnP service still is NOT disabled.

This is because the tool checks the uPNP status for both WAN0 and WAN1. If you only use single WAN, then the WAN1 will still be set to enabled.

To disable it, enable dual wan, then set UPNP to "disabled", and switch back to single WAN.

2. "Enable Load Balance" option is now available in "Smart Connect Rule" settings under "Network Tools". I don't know what it does exactly, but I hope it's actually does what its name suggests. :)

That option is only for the RT-AC3200, for its Smart Connect feature that's hardware-specific to the RT-AC3200.

what is with the ntp update every hour > A bit much , don't remember any old router checking every hour , is there a way to limit this ?

what is with the ntp update every hour > A bit much , don't remember any old router checking every hour , is there a way to limit this ?

It's a bug in stock firmware, introduced a few months ago. It affects all routers.

It's a bug in stock firmware, introduced a few months ago. It affects all routers.

Guess that is why I have never seen it , always use your FW . WILL be waiting for the Merlin release .
Any way you can trim it down to a mean lean routing machine ?

Guess that is why I have never seen it , always use your FW . WILL be waiting for the Merlin release .
Any way you can trim it down to a mean lean routing machine ?

Who would want to buy a 300$ router to run the functionality of a 30$ one?

Just disable anything you don't use. Anything disabled won't take any CPU/RAM resources.

Otherwise, you will have to compile your own custom build, adjusting the options in the target.mak profile list.

Who would want to buy a 300$ router to run the functionality of a 30$ one?

Just disable anything you don't use. Anything disabled won't take any CPU/RAM resources.

Otherwise, you will have to compile your own custom build, adjusting the options in the target.mak profile list.

Can you Merlin and other guys that have the 3200 take a look at thi strange thing that happens with the router using dual wan?

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?p=166047#post166047

I really don`t know what to do and if it`s just mine one

Thanks Merlin and guys at all

Edit: Went back with my 87U just to see if ports was inverted too at dual wan and no, the 87U works as it should, someone have the initial build firmware of the 3200 just to see if it`s a FW issue? I`ll downgrade mine so

Last edited:
Always after. There is no real point in doing a factory defaut before - you would still be using whatever default values applying to the old FW.

If you will do a hard reset before/after it would still go back to the default settings right? So what's the difference by doing the reset after, instead of before the Firmware Upgrade? I'm just curious sir Merlin.

If you will do a hard reset before/after it would still go back to the default settings right? So what's the difference by doing the reset after, instead of before the Firmware Upgrade? I'm just curious sir Merlin.

The default value are partly stored in the firmware itself. So, the default value that get applied will be different with the old firmware from the new one. You need to be running the firmware that contains the desired default values at the time of the factory default reset.

The default value are partly stored in the firmware itself. So, the default value that get applied will be different with the old firmware from the new one. You need to be running the firmware that contains the desired default values at the time of the factory default reset.

Merlin my friend :)

Can you take a look at my case? I`m getting crazy here with this inverted ports using dual wan, yours do the same?

Do you have the older FW to downgrade here just to see if it`s a software issue?

Thanks again man

Merlin my friend :)

Can you take a look at my case? I`m getting crazy here with this inverted ports using dual wan, yours do the same?

Do you have the older FW to downgrade here just to see if it`s a software issue?

Thanks again man

I'm not at home to check right now. All I can suggest is double check the written numbers on the router itself. It's still possible that Asus might have inverted the port order when they did a re-design of the device, and forgot to adjust the order in the firmware. In any case, it's nothing major, just reverse the numbers.

Odd port ordering is a very common thing with routers. Some Asus routers numbers them from left to right, others from right to left. Depends on the hardware layout of the physical ports.

I'm not at home to check right now. All I can suggest is double check the written numbers on the router itself. It's still possible that Asus might have inverted the port order when they did a re-design of the device, and forgot to adjust the order in the firmware. In any case, it's nothing major, just reverse the numbers.

Odd port ordering is a very common thing with routers. Some Asus routers numbers them from left to right, others from right to left. Depends on the hardware layout of the physical ports.

The numbers i checked, the number 1 for example in the back is the same port 1 at the front, the light goes white when plug and off when unplug

This only happens when i enable the dual wan, i know that`s not a major issue, but if you have a time later can you see yours and tell me if it happens too?

It`s strange to have to select for example the Lan4 to be used as dual wan and your cable need to be plugged at the Lan1 :D

Thanks again man

"Who would want to buy a 300$ router to run the functionality of a 30$ one?"

me , I wanted the extra radio , cpu power , not interested in trend micro and other extras .

One problem I;m seeing is every hour I lose connection for less than a minute . No idea why , see nothing in the logs at the time

Disconnection Issue.. (Bad Hardware ?)

My new RT-AC3200 disconnects quite often both on Laptops and iPhones. Laptops it connects back after sometime but on iPhone sometime when it disconnects it doesn't reconnects of it's own..

- Upgraded to latest firmware (02/06/2015 release)
- Did Restore factory reset after Firmware upgrade (as suggested by Merlin)
- Disabled Smart Connect.
- Everything is at Default configuration except Disable of Smart connect and Wifi passwords.

Is my Hardware bad ?
or I am missing anything else.

Frustrated with this new Router... My old RT-AC66U was super stable.

My new RT-AC3200 disconnects quite often both on Laptops and iPhones. Laptops it connects back after sometime but on iPhone sometime when it disconnects it doesn't reconnects of it's own..

- Upgraded to latest firmware (02/06/2015 release)
- Did Restore factory reset after Firmware upgrade (as suggested by Merlin)
- Disabled Smart Connect.
- Everything is at Default configuration except Disable of Smart connect and Wifi passwords.

Is my Hardware bad ?
or I am missing anything else.

Frustrated with this new Router... My old RT-AC66U was super stable.

Same here , nothing smart running , disconnects every 18 minutes or so , reconnects , but a real pain , if it's not fixed soon It goes back . Nothing in ,logs showing it breaking connection reconnecting .

Same here , nothing smart running , disconnects every 18 minutes or so , reconnects , but a real pain , if it's not fixed soon It goes back . Nothing in ,logs showing it breaking connection reconnecting .

Here it`s happening too, nmot a hardware fault

And the smart connect always put some AC device at wrong band, sometimes at 2.4 one.....

Wow, looks like Asus is really dropping the ball by not fixing Smart Connect in latest FW. No such problems I can see with DLINK or NETGEAR's 3200 routers. People will be staying away. Hope Merlin doesn't ! ;)

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!