What's new

ASUS RT-AC3200 vs. RT-AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shadowz1218

New Around Here
Hello,

I am considering purchasing an ASUS router and installing Asuswrt-Merlin firmware on it. I was thinking about purchasing the RT-AC3200 until I came across the RT-AC3100 and noticed it has a 1.4GHz processor and 512MB of RAM, versus the 1.0GHz processor of 256MB of RAM in the RT-AC3200. Am I better off buying this router instead? Also, how is the stability of and support for both of these routers? Any thoughts/opinions are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Probably go for the RT-AC3100U, unless you really need that extra 2nd 5Ghz band.

The RT-AC3100 is a better product all around, including better supported and better stability (the RT-AC3200 is based on a special version of Broadcom's code that no other models uses).

RT-AC3200 until I came across the RT-AC3100 and noticed it has a 1.4GHz processor and 512MB of RAM, versus the 1.0GHz processor of 256MB of RAM in the RT-AC3200. Am I better off buying this router instead?

they are also two totally different class of wifi

the 3200 is a wave 1 1300M 5 gig router

the 3100 is a wave 2 2156M 5 gig router

yes the numbering system is confusing but the rt-ac3100 is way better in almost every area , the 3100 price also indicates its level of performance compared to the older ac3200

Yeah I saw the $110 deal too, on SlickDeals, it's a good price, enjoy. :) Apparently was $69 on clearance at Walmart but that sale ended :(.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help. I went ahead and purchased an RT-AC3100. For anyone who's interested, Newegg is currently selling refurbs for only $110 (with a $10 mail-in rebate). It looks like today is the last day of the sale, so don't wait too long. Link is below.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320287
Are there different hardware revisions for this model? If so, I suppose it's impossible to know which revision these refurbs might be when buying online. Seems like a pretty good price to take a shot on though.

Also, what does refurbishing a router typically entail?

Last edited:
Are there different hardware revisions for this model? If so, I suppose it's impossible to know which revision these refurbs might be when buying online. Seems like a pretty good price to take a shot on though.

Also, what does refurbishing a router typically entail?
I could check the HW revision of the unit I received in a few hours when I get home from work and provide an update.

I could check the HW revision of the unit I received in a few hours when I get home from work and provide an update.
That would be great, it should leave me enough time to make the purchase at the current price, thanks!

Of course, I don't even know if there are different revisions or if one is any better than the other. I just know that often these devices do have revisions while still maintaining the same model number/SKU.