What's new

Asus RT-AC5300 discontinued or being phased out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

umarmung

Is the RT-AC5300 being discontinued or phased out? First they had immensely slow firmware updates and now it is not even listed on Amazon (its large review listing is gone)?

Amazon listing is not an example of anything …
and last update was day or 2 ago 3.0.0.4.384.20942

Last edited:
Amazon listing is not an example of anything …
and last update was day or 2 ago 3.0.0.4.384.20942

Indeed, that model is listed at Amazon , the often very stupid and unreliable reviews (circa 9000) are actually spread across 6 models , not just the model in the listing.

Amazon want extra $$$$$$$$$$ so will push whatever they can get a bigger discount.

Indeed, that model is listed at Amazon

No its not, if you're talking about Amazon.com. You're looking at the GT-AC5300. Just because it is the first thing that pops up and looks similar, they are anything but.

Last edited:
No its not, if you're talking about Amazon.com. You're looking at the GT-AC5300. Just because it is the first thing that pops up and looks similar, they are anything but.

No, I am looking at Amazon.com and a listing for the RT-AC5300 thank you.

And you should check Amazon UK/France/Spain/Italy/Germany .

Last edited:
I've had this unit since release and can't say the speed of updates has ever bothered me. I don't know what code gets pushed to the code available to Merlin, nor when it is released but it has been pretty thick and fast from the Merlin side.

My previous Asus router, the rt-n56u was pretty lack lustre. The updates were few and far between right from the start. It also had some really wacky issues, like blocking icmp on the LAN interface on one of the updates.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No, I am looking at Amazon.com and a listing for the RT-AC5300 thank you.

And you should check Amazon UK/France/Spain/Italy/Germany .

You keep insisting I am wrong about something as basic as a trivial search on Amazon.com, so prove it. Post the link to the main RT-AC5300 listing on Amazon.com, not some secondary distributor that has none or almost no reviews because it never used to be mainly sold from there or are newly price gouging remaining units.

Recall this router was FCC approved as far back as May 2015 and reviewed by SmallNetBuilder in January 2016.

If Asus are unable to sell a model to the primary US market, something has changed. Any other countries may just have remaining inventory, compared to a single advanced market as large as the US.

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019HH3HSI/?tag=snbforums-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018WJUGA4/?tag=snbforums-20

You said it is not listed anywhere on Amazon.com , it is but now you want to qualify it .

You also insinuate that it is therefore discontinued.

There are listings for that model on the USA site and on 5 other Amazon sites.

Amazon.com are not the only source of ASUS routers.

You say the updates are almost non existent...... not the experience of others.

Perhaps you should ask ASUS directly maybe they don;t want to supply the American market with that model now, or perhaps they have plans for something else.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019HH3HSI/?tag=snbforums-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018WJUGA4/?tag=snbforums-20

You said it is not listed anywhere on Amazon.com , it is but now you want to qualify it .

You also insinuate that it is therefore discontinued.

There are listings for that model on the USA site and on 5 other Amazon sites.

Amazon.com are not the only source of ASUS routers.

You say the updates are almost non existent...... not the experience of others.

Perhaps you should ask ASUS directly maybe they don;t want to supply the American market with that model now, or perhaps they have plans for something else.

Thank you for proving my point. Done.

If Amazon doesn't keep it in stock then it's not available in the US market? Who are you, Jeff Bezos?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...320244&cm_re=RT-AC5300-_-33-320-244-_-Product

Oh, look.
Lol. Being in Australia Amazon has never provided us with electronics and has only done so very recently. They have typically been irrelevant but the router is available on the new AU Amazon none-the-less.

I don't think any manufacturer of a niche product like the ac5300 range would continue to just pump out units without knowing the demand. It wouldn't surprise me at all if what's being sold is surplus for a router of this age.

None of this matters when it is still completely supported with regular updates. Discontinued definitely does not equal end-of-life or unsupported. I recently reported a security issue with the router to RMerlin and within just over a week the Merlin firmware and the official firmware had updated with a fix.

I'm not sure I entirely get the point of this discussion but even routers that I've owned which have been discontinued, have typically remained useful way past the point of discontinuation. I do hope OpenWRT makes it to this router at some point.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lol. Being in Australia Amazon has never provided us with electronics and has only done so very recently. They have typically been irrelevant but the router is available on the new AU Amazon none-the-less.

I don't think any manufacturer of a niche product like the ac5300 range would continue to just pump out units without knowing the demand. It wouldn't surprise me at all if what's being sold is surplus for a router of this age.

None of this matters when it is still completely supported with regular updates. Discontinued definitely does not equal end-of-life or unsupported. I recently reported a security issue with the router to RMerlin and within just over a week the Merlin firmware and the official firmware had updated with a fix.

I'm not sure I entirely get the point of this discussion but even routers that I've owned which have been discontinued, have typically remained useful way past the point of discontinuation. I do hope OpenWRT makes it to this router at some point.
Actually, probably more than 50% of the time I buy computer hardware from NewEgg and not Amazon anyways, they usually have better prices and more likely to be in stock (they had AC86Us when Amazon didn't).

I just thought the suggesting that something was discontinued just because Amazon itself didn't carry it to be way over the top. Amazon is not the entirety of the U.S. market, let alone the world.

Yep, I agree and that was exactly my point. To Australia, Amazon was barely more than an overseas online store for books/DVDs/Blue Rays ... Until recently.

I would never guess a product's availablity or especially it's continuation based on Amazon ... But ... I would never bother _guessing_ a product's availability and continuation. Which is why I don't much get this whole discussion.

All I can say is, it's available, and it's well supported :D

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

RT-AC86U goes in and out of stock on Amazon all the time, and it was released only 9 months ago, so whether or not its in stock on Amazon is not a good indicator of whether a company has decided to discontinue a product. Also, ASUS is clearly pitching the RT-AC5300 as part of a set of wifi routers intended to be used with AiMesh.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!