What's new

ASUS RT-AC56R worth it over the RT-N66U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hyelton

Amazon has the RT-N66u (Ive owned one before) and Wal-Mart (local pickup has the RT-AC56R for $2 cheaper. Is it worth to get newer hardware? or would the RT-N66U still be preferred? Have not seen much on the AC56R much.

Currently have a Netgear R6300v2.

RT-AC56U its a better router.

Im either going to get one of the two, or go with DD-WRT on my R6300v2.

This weekend it going to be the best, specially Sunday as no one will be home and I can pull the network down and no one complain lol.

Also if it helps, its not the WiFi Im looking for, its the Reliablity and stability of 20 devices.

Last edited:
RT-AC56U seconded. Better overall performance than the RT-N66U today (both with RMerlin firmware, of course).

RT-AC55U it's MIPS32 720MHZ with 128MB RAM Qualcomm based and Kernel 3.3.x , RT-AC56U is ARM 800MHZ with 256MB RAM Broadcom based and old Kernel 2.6.36.

You can decide yourself based on these :)

RT-AC56U is the better option, no doubts.

Last edited:
Agree with hggomes once again, but I'll be more direct: I wouldn't even look at the RT-AC55U with my own money. :)

Eheheehe :)

I think the N66U has better (among the best?) range, but the AC56U wins in every other way, unless your chosen firmware is not ARM compatible. The price is already ludicrously low on the AC56U... so tempting. Best-value, readily available router for quite a while now, from what I have seen. :)

I picked the AC56 due to the dual core and ram amount over others in the same price point. It has similar specs as the AC68 but with internal antennas and slower AC speed but I have no need for that much wifi speed anyway. Range seems decent but hard for me to tell, in an apartment building way over saturated in 2.4ghz. That's why I finally had to upgrade just to get the 5ghz. In the back room I get like 30mbps on 5ghz and only 2-4mbps on the 2.4ghz due to noise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pick AC over non-AC router any day of week. They're just better and worth the price premium.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!