What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware 3.0.0.4.380.3264

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Could anyone test if the repeater mode in this firmware works

Hi All,

since updating to FW version 3.0.0.4.380.3264, Google keeps asking me to complete a CAPTCHA code whenever I try a Google search. The page I'm directed to looks similar to the attachment. This happens on all my devices (iOS, Android, Windows and Mac OSX).

I've checked everything for viruses or outdated browser plug-ins and found nothing. Since the RT-AC68U is the only thing in my system which received an update before this issue started happening, I'm convinced there is a bug in the new FW (perhaps its sending out multiple or false queries??)

Is anyone else having this issue or does anyone have an idea how I could resolve this?

Attachments

• Google-Error.png
    Google-Error.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 777
Updated yesterday to this firmware and have no issues on over 30 devices. Must be a program that downloaded in the background.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi All,

since updating to FW version 3.0.0.4.380.3264, Google keeps asking me to complete a CAPTCHA code whenever I try a Google search. The page I'm directed to looks similar to the attachment. This happens on all my devices (iOS, Android, Windows and Mac OSX).

I've checked everything for viruses or outdated browser plug-ins and found nothing. Since the RT-AC68U is the only thing in my system which received an update before this issue started happening, I'm convinced there is a bug in the new FW (perhaps its sending out multiple or false queries??)

Is anyone else having this issue or does anyone have an idea how I could resolve this?

Does not happen to me using Firefox or Internet Explorer.

You must have missed a few firmware versions.
The authentication method is changed many versions ago, mid 2015.
HTTP authentication and saving credentials is considered unsecure and dropped by many applications.

That's definitely not the case mate. I've rolled back to 3.0.0.4.380.2717 which is what i was using before upgrading to this and when i type in my Router IP (192.168.1.1) the logon page loads up fine under http://192.168.1.1/

When using this firmware however (3.0.0.4.380.3264) when i type in http://192.168.1.1/ it redirects me automatically to http://router.asus.com

They have obviously changed the mechanism in this latest firmware to redirect to http://router.asus.com by default.

Even 3.0.0.4.380.1842 and the 2695 beta doesn't have this redirection. Can anyone else confirm your AC68U does this with the new firmware? just to rule out its specific to my router?

It's no big deal as i can live with it but i'm just curious as to why this redirection is now in place.

Cheers

Shaun

Since the RT-AC68U is the only thing in my system which received an update before this issue started happening, I'm convinced there is a bug in the new FW
Unless you have a static IP from your ISP, you may also have gotten a new IP leased to you in the process and it could be one with some unfortunate history.

@
Updated yesterday to this firmware and have no issues on over 30 devices. Must be a program that downloaded in the background.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Does not happen to me using Firefox or Internet Explorer.
Unless you have a static IP from your ISP, you may also have gotten a new IP leased to you in the process and it could be one with some unfortunate history.

Thanks for the info and advice. I'll continue to investigate.

Hi All,

I get that occasionally when I use Alfred on OS X a lot for Google searches. I think Google just sees a lot of searches from an app like this as potential spam then throws up the Captcha as a verification. I got this on previous FW versions and even on different routers, so I don't think it is related to this new Merlin FW.

https://www.alfredapp.com

Please explain the procedure for using the CFE webserver, eg/ how to access it and what commands to issue. Thx

You don't have to issue any commands as it runs in your web browser.

What you do is put router into recovery mode

What I do is set the TCP/IPv4 of my network adapter to 192.168.1.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway to 192.168.1.1

The reason I do this is if you leave it on auto DHCP you may lose connection to the router during firmware upload.

Turn off router then hold reset button while powering router back on then keep holding reset until power light starts blinking

Now launch your web browser to 192.168.1.1 and you should see the image in this post in your browser.

After you are done uploading firmware you can change your adapter back to auto DHCP.

Attachments

• CFE.png
    CFE.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 982
You can't roll back through the GUI as you will get the incompatible firmware message but you can roll back through the CFE miniWeb Server.

I just went from 3.0.0.4.380.3264 back to 9.0.0.4.380_2695 and from 3.0.0.4.380.3264 to 3.0.0.4.380.1842 as a test.

All worked just fine when going back to either firmware.

I think the firmware recovery tool may work too but I am done testing as I now know I have a way to go back if I need to.
I tried the recovery tool on a 68u and it worked without an issue rolling back from the restricted. Should work for all the routers you just cant do it through the routers web client.

Can someone who loaded this firmware check your CFE level to see if it was updated?

nvram get bl_version

Except for the one person reporting the Captcha issue, this new firmware is working fine for others that have tried it?

You don't have to issue any commands as it runs in your web browser.

What you do is put router into recovery mode

What I do is set the TCP/IPv4 of my network adapter to 192.168.1.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway to 192.168.1.1

The reason I do this is if you leave it on auto DHCP you may lose connection to the router during firmware upload.

Turn off router then hold reset button while powering router back on then keep holding reset until power light starts blinking

Now launch your web browser to 192.168.1.1 and you should see the image in this post in your browser.

After you are done uploading firmware you can change your adapter back to auto DHCP.

Just adding to this if anyone has issues rolling back. I had all sorts of problems using the Asus Recovery tool to roll back the firmware. The file would upload to 55% and then i'd receive an error "failed to upload". I also had issues rolling back via the CFE WebServer webpage. The way i was able to roll back successfully was to firstly click on the "Restore default NVRAM values" link in the CFE Webserver page. After doing this the firmware then flashed successfully.

Why did you roll back? To prove it was possible? Problems? Your redirect issue?
I just decided that i had jumped the gun too soon when i upgraded and would instead hold off until i see how everyone else is faring with the new firmware. The redirection i wasn't a fan of to start with. Anyways i'm definitely open to upgrading sometime down the track.

Yeah, the word "firmware" isn't even in the website's source code.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!