What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_51685 (2024/04/15)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just so we understand correctly. You are using stock Asus 3.0.0.4.386_51685 firmware (not Asus-Merlin), and are using the directions for Entware that are for Asus-Merlin firmware. Is that correct? Did you upgrade from Asus-Merlin firmware to the stock Asus 3.0.0.4.386_51685 firmware? If so you likely lost all ability to run any add-on Asus-Merlin scripts and possibly Entware as well with the stock Asus firmware.
I use stock Asus 3.0.0.4.386_51685. Entware is working also on stock Firmware ( event that the link is for ASUS Merlin) and I am using it since few years.

This change was made quite some time ago and was discussed at the time. Here's just one example:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/i...nt-ethernet-on-the-rt-ax88u.86754/post-864083
Thank you very much. It was strange to me because any other variable I declared on NVRAM survives a reboot, but this variable (script_usbmount) is just deleted every reboot.

@bennor it seams I used Entware from here: https://www.giuseppeparrello.it/en/net_router_install_entware.php This was few years back.

Anyway, meanwhile I found a workaround. I am using my raspberry pi to check each hour if the router was rebooted and run the needed script on ASUS over ssh.

If anyone is interested I put this script on ASUS router on /jffs/ and run it over ssh once an hour.
Bash:
#!/bin/sh

if  [[ ! -d /tmp/home/root/.asusrouterlock ]]
then
        echo ".asusrouterlock missing"
        /jffs/myrouter.sh
fi

myrouter.sh looks like this:
Bash:
#!/bin/sh
sleep 10
#the following line ensures the script only runs once per reboot cycle
mkdir /home/root/.asusrouterlock || exit
chmod 700 /jffs/*sh
#logs router temperature every hour
cru a TEMPS "*/30 * * * * /jffs/log_temps.sh"
mkdir /tmp/opt
mount /dev/sda1 /tmp/opt
nvram set script_usbmount="sh /jffs/myrouter.sh"
nvram commit

Last edited:
You should start your own thread here.

The AC68U node did not add successfully, yes?

The AC68U is end-of-life... it may eventually not 'mesh' with a router using current firmware.

Without knowing more about how you manage ASUSWRT firmware, and given the issue arose after some firmware updates, advice here may tend to be 'start over' to be sure the firmware is in order before troubleshooting further. In particular, install the firmware, reset it to its default settings, and then configure it from scratch... do not restore saved settings.

FW Reset FAQ

Reset button/webUI Restore/node removal clears settings in NVRAM; reboot restores fw defaults from CFE

Hard Reset via WPS button/webUI Restore+Initialize also clears data logged in /jffs partition

If you don't want to restart that much at first, try Hard Resetting the AC68U firmware and adding it again to the AiMesh.

OE
I'm running the same combination with a 5g backhaul and they meshed up perfectly. I actually need the AC68U or I wouldn't be able to use my 2.4gh devices. But that's part of another thread.

I finally managed to resolve the issue of the ntp service not working: for some reason, ntp servers in the ipv4 standard do not work, I believe it is due to some configuration that my internet provider implements.

I decided to only use ntp servers on both the primary and secondary in merlin in ipv6 format, the ntp server worked at the same time, the date and time updated immediately. Even https-over-dns/tls services that didn't work now work without problems, now I can use the nextdns dot function without problems.

TchszU8.png

pu8Xree.png

How I solved this problem, I'm looking at continuing to use merlin and using the amtm tool, but my question is: does the ac68u work well with this tool installed? At first I just want diversion, then I analyze the other services and see what else would be necessary for me. I would just like to know if the ac68u can handle all this load, with amtm and diversion installed, will it work without problems?

This thread is for stock Asuswrt. Ask your Asuswrt-Merlin related questions here:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!