What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.306

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wish it was out today. Doing some work while the network is low since there have been some issues with the AC68U dropping connections, and needed OpenVPN support with the CA support.

Thank you! My 2.4GHz performance is awful. The max speed reported by inSSIDer is 216 Mbps. I actually have to use the 5GHz band for web surfing. As a matter of fact, I was going to go back to my venerable RT-AC66U today until you guys could figure this out. I guess I will wait a couple of more days. I actually got out my AC66U, hooked it up to my laptop, brought up the GUI and went through the settings on my AC68U one-by-one using my desktop making sure they were all an exact match.

Could you tell me how to check 2.4G performance and I would love to check my 2.4G strength.

Why do this to us? It just doesn't make any sense to release it on the website but not uploading it to its download location. Really disappointing ASUS

It's obvious that it was an error from the webmaster team. They sure didn't do this just to make fun of you.

Considering the size of their website, and the fact they have servers spread all over the planet, such sync issues can happen.

Great!
Can anyone please confirm if OpenVPN client is working now? (waiting for AC56U version of this FW)

I was able to download from the site and test it. 2.4 ghz still does not cut it with wireless n adapters nor apple iphone , iPad , iPod etc if channel is set manually, no connectivity on d-link USB 140 n and linksys wusb600n or a netgear wnr834b set up as bridge.Second Ac 68 as bridge is on 1.1 gbps link constantly but was the same in .291 firmware too, that's 5ghz . I usually set 11 in my other router an Ac66u and it works fine. On auto in Ac 68 the speed is 216 max link and ios devices and adapters start working well. Conclusion their 40mz band still has problem working with a lot if devices. Open vpn. I haven't tested.

Last edited:
openvpn work great with my provider, i successfully uploaded config opvn and ca cert.

Awesome! :D Can you please share how is the performance of ASUS VPN Client?

- use www.testmy.net to run speed test
- measure your internet speed with VPN off (on a reasonably fast hardwired system)
- turn on the VPN, and re-run the speed test

I would also run DNS leak tests - just to make sure that everything is kosher.

P.S. Can't wait for AC56U version :)

Not sure if there is a way to exclude some clients (VoIP) from using the VPN client tunnel or include as necessary (iDevices).

What provider are you using? I can't get it to work on HMA nor IPVanish yet.

the vpn service i have is come with my seed box service, but i think with any service depend on their set up or pre config files, as long as you know how to make the two Files (CA.cert and filename.opvn) or sometime it pre made then you should be fine with this firmware.

I haven't been able to get OpenVPN to work with iVPN. I copied and pasted all the CA information, key, etc and uploaded the .ovpn. Says it connects, but I check my IP and it doesn't.

I haven't been able to get OpenVPN to work with iVPN. I copied and pasted all the CA information, key, etc and uploaded the .ovpn. Says it connects, but I check my IP and it doesn't.

don't they have a wiki on their site, but just to make sure that that you have to files. i tried other service too, and all i did was copy bunch of those encryption key to a blank new document the saved it as the the extension .crt for the opvn i think it just a configuration file.

Last edited:
Insssider shows a great signal on 2.4G when checked. Unfortunately all the clients when connected to 40 MHz are choppy and or not able to connect. Really bad one this.

now FW still has problem to choose 20/40 MHz bandwidth. So I guess it would be a hardware problem??

Hardware has nothing to do with channel selection, it's handled by the wireless driver.

Updated to .306 and upgraded mem clock speed to 666 with the new utility. As always with this router, I have no issues with .306 firmware, or previous versions. Performance, range, and reliability are the best I have ever experienced in a router.

I only use port forwarding (with HW acceleration enabled), QoS, 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless and one LAN cable port.

I suspect the AC68U issues reported by some people are related to setup issues or perhaps due to a feature which I do not have a need to use. Maybe VPN, IPv6, USB or AIcloud bloatware for example.

Updated to .306 and upgraded mem clock speed to 666 with the new utility. As always with this router, I have no issues with .306 firmware, or previous versions. Performance, range, and reliability are the best I have ever experienced in a router.

I only use port forwarding (with HW acceleration enabled), QoS, 2.4ghz and 5ghz wireless and one LAN cable port.

I suspect the AC68U issues reported by some people are related to setup issues or perhaps due to a feature which I do not have a need to use. Maybe VPN, IPv6, USB or AIcloud bloatware for example.

I think most issues are:
1. 2.4G strength problem( some ppl said N66u had better coverage at 2.4G than AC68U). I notice I have this problem too, I have no coverage(2.4 and 5G) when I am working in my car garage, but I did have coverage when I was using N56u.
2. VPN setup problem.
3. some routers freeze when torrenting.
4. 20/40 bandwidth can not be setup under 2.4G

I think most issues are:
1. 2.4G strength problem( some ppl said N66u had better coverage at 2.4G than AC68U). I notice I have this problem too, I have no coverage(2.4 and 5G) when I am working in my car garage, but I did have coverage when I was using N56u.
2. VPN setup problem.
3. some routers freeze when torrenting.

4. 20/40 bandwidth can not be setup under 2.4G

i had these issues on 291, but not on 205 and 306.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!