What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.374.4561 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I use the following commands:
Code:
nvram set clkfrq=1000,800
nvram commit && reboot

After the reboot

Code:
nvram get clkfrq

Shows 1000,800

But BogoMIPS still shows near 1595

I've tried 1000,666 or 1000,533, and still no joy.

If I use your turbo mode the BogoMIPS jump to near 2000, which I would assume means the CPU did increase.

If I now try 1200,666 or 1200,800, the BogoMIPS remain at 2000.

If I turn off turbo mode by simply pressing the LED button and try the commands again with either 1000 or 1200, the BogoMIPS remains at 1600.

I must be doing something wrong. I've tried the commands in the GUI, and also via telnet.

Running 40_alpha8.

Newer bootloaders don't seem to support overclocking, so it's possible that yours shipped with such a bootloader. What version does it show under Tools -> Sysinfo? 1.0.1.6 (and possibly newer ones too, tho not confirmed) won't work.

Newer bootloaders don't seem to support overclocking, so it's possible that yours shipped with such a bootloader. What version does it show under Tools -> Sysinfo? 1.0.1.6 (and possibly newer ones too, tho not confirmed) won't work.

My unit is from 2013. It was a resell from that Best Buy sale in the US.

My bootloader is 1.0.1.1. I chose not to upgrade with the ASUS utility to have the freedom to over clock. I guess I'm out of luck.

Very odd turbo mode works, but manually setting the clock frequency via the CLI doesn't. On that bootloader version it should definitely work.

It seems new AC68* units are shipping with 1.0.1.6 by default, I received mine two days ago and it already had the new bootloader.

Nobody on my Guest Network and still had reboot on official 4561 - there goes that theory. Starting to wonder if there is a memory leak as Merlin originally suggested. Will need to more pro-actively watch memory.

Reboots only seem to happen overnight when devices go to sleep, etc.

My uptime is now 22 hours with official 4561... the most I have made so far.

No changes to any settings, but 2 observations:

1) My one Guest DHCP Reservation would have expired around time of last reboot
(Merlin, did you see any changes for DHCP Server in 4432/4561?)

2) I've also been Telnet'd in the whole time, so I've been maintaining a connection.... maybe this is preventing some module from going to sleep?

I had at least one incident of a single MAC address having 2 different ip addresses assigned.

There hasn't been any change in relation to the LAN's DHCP server.

My unit is from 2013. It was a resell from that Best Buy sale in the US.

My bootloader is 1.0.1.1. I chose not to upgrade with the ASUS utility to have the freedom to over clock. I guess I'm out of luck.

That bootloader should be fine. Not sure why it wouldn't work.

That bootloader should be fine. Not sure why it wouldn't work.

Not sure either. I tried to downgrade to 39 and try it again to see if maybe the firmware had something to do with it. I reset to factory settings and cleared the nvram via

Code:
mtd-erase2 nvram

Still not working.

IPv6 doesn't work on 39, so I'll go back to one of your alphas.

I'll try at it again tomorrow.

Just a heads up: IPv6 does not work in Alpha9. Reverting to 8

I checked the commit log and there hasn't been any change to IPv6 functionality since alpha 5. The only differences between alpha 8 and 9 are related to flash management, Ethernet and wifi.

Last edited:
36 hours on Alpha 4 with no reboots. Will "upgrade" to Alpha 9 and report how it goes.

Looks like my log and few other folks show the crash occured right after upnp was restarted. I'm disabling upnp and see if the random reboot goes away. The setting is on by default.

Not had the randon reboot problem on any firmware I'm very pleased to say. Uptime with Alpha 8 now over 2 days.

If it helps my config is

2.4 band channel 6

Original Ipad
Laptop Centrino 2230N
Samsung S3

5 band channel 36

4th gen Ipad

USB

Canon IP4850

LAN devices

Panasonic TV
Oppo Blu Ray
2 PCs
Sky HD box
Synology NAS x 2

I checked the commit log and there hasn't been any change to IPv6 functionality since alpha 5. The only differences between alpha 8 and 9 are related to flash management, Ethernet and wifi.

That's odd, then.

I will try Alpha9 again later. It was upgraded from 39 when IPv6 didn't work.

I restored to factory settings, updated to Alpha9, and then input all the settings again manually. My login, and IPv6 DNS servers were configured properly.

The IPv6 page did not show an IPv6 /64 Prefix, and no LAN IPv6 was being provided to any of my devices. IPv6 sites did not work either (https://www.v6.facebook.com for example).

I downgraded to Alpha8 without a factory reset, and my values remained. Without changing anything else, my IPv6 was up and running fine.

Also, I confirm that Alpha 7, 8, and 9 have the same issue with the Control Channel drop down menu when the Channel bandwith is set to 40MHz. On the 5GHz frequency, when I set the Channel bandwith to 40MHz and choose a Control Channel, once these settings are applied, the GUI no longer gives any value or drop down menu for the Control Channel. This was not present in 39.

Regarding my overclocking, I will try to clear the nvram by resetting the router via the WPS button method. Hopefully that will cure my issue here. If not, then I might as well update the bootloader since my nvram isn't accepting any altering commands.

Last edited:
Hi, I just registered so I could get involved in this thread.

I bought my RT-AC68U less than two weeks ago, it's really really fast but apparently it was a mistake to update to the latest firmware when I installed it...

I have about 20 devices that make connections including iphones, ipads, LG tv, synology NAS, android tablet, Nokia W8 phone, windows 7 laptop, windows 8 laptops...

Random reboots seemed to occur. So I found this thread and have had some success with alpha 8 (1 1/2 day uptime)

Then my wife moved her macbook away from where she usually sits to work on it to the next room which is 6m further away from the router (she connects on the 5Ghz band) and suddenly alpha 8 started rebooting every couple of minutes. I asked her to put the machine to sleep and it stopped...

Tried installing alpha 9 and having the macbook connecting again, within a couple of minutes it started rebooting again.

I'm on alpha 4 now and hoping for more success... I love the speed of this router, it's giving me my full 150mbit on a regular N network card which is almost double I had with a linksys E4200. If only we can get it to be stable...

2) I've also been Telnet'd in the whole time, so I've been maintaining a connection.... maybe this is preventing some module from going to sleep?

Woke up to find 15 minutes of uptime :_(

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!