What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe Gary will give me the auto update url lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i found one interesting thing with this firmware is that asus finally disabled the reducing usb 3.0 interference by default.
It's about time. I would usually forget about disabling that feature until I went to the Wireless/Professional page. Also, I am happy with Merlin's 376.46.

However, I am astounded by those who are already asking Merlin to update his firmware to the 2678 code. The darn firmware isn't even posted to the update servers yet. Even then, it could take another ten days to two weeks before Asus releases the source code that he needs to build his version.

So Merlin please take your sweet-butt time updating to this code. I, for one, can wait.

It's about time. I would usually forget about disabling that feature until I went to the Wireless/Professional page. Also, I am happy with Merlin's 376.46.

However, I am astounded by those who are already asking Merlin to update his firmware to the 2678 code. The darn firmware isn't even posted to the update servers yet. Even then, it could take another ten days to two weeks before Asus releases the source code that he needs to build his version.

So Merlin please take your sweet-butt time updating to this code. I, for one, can wait.
I like Merlin's 376.46 build. I updated a few months ago to Merlin's build but with my ac66u that it did not include anything major that the Asus firmware did not. Now it includes some things like the ability to disable spanning tree protocol and disabling more of the ipv6 things and that speed up my router.

RMerlin should get the source code tonight from Asus thats what Gary said anyway

The only thing I don't like about upgrading to and updating Merlin's builds is that when I do that I have to reset the settings as open VPN server 1 is running and can't be turned off unless you reset the settings other than that like the firmware better

Last edited:

I am in complete agreement. Everyone should remember how much Merlin gives of his time, freely. His work is a hobby, and the time he gives is volunteer time. My policy with my AC87 is to wait until ASUS official firmware has had time to develop, and once it has a little longer, then I'm great with Merlin developing a release from an ASUS release that everyone generally acknowledges as a good one, and I fully expect that development to take a little time too. I'll then upgrade to his firmware, like I did on the AC66 before that.

USB 3.0 Interferance

i found one interesting thing with this firmware is that asus finally disabled the reducing usb 3.0 interference by default.

Question: If you do use the USB 3.0 port should this be kept off or on?

CC

7730334750af844020fbb046f40c1892.jpg

The new build is up on Asus's website

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC87U/FW_RT_AC87U_30043762678.zip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is the new build listed in all the os selections as it was not listed in every section earlier today

Also is the source code up yet for download

Its up for all now, the source code isn't up yet. I need to update my script to monitor that as well.

Moved off-topic posts about Git to a new thread.

Chill out dog

Is the new build listed in all the os selections as it was not listed in every section earlier today

Also is the source code up yet for download
Dude chillax. :) It could take Asus ten to 14 days to post the source code. I have not seen the source code released any sooner than 3 or 4 days after the release of the associated firmware itself.

Be cool grasshopper. :cool:

Updated to this firmware a little bit ago, and I notice under LAN-Switch Control. Asus has removed STP option, I will monitor to see if this has any change regarding the spamming of network loop error in the log.

Updated to this firmware a little bit ago, and I notice under LAN-Switch Control. Asus has removed STP option, I will monitor to see if this has any change regarding the spamming of network loop error in the log.
That option was added by me. It's not present in the stock firmware.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Another locked-up AC87

Turning on Adaptive QoS and AiProtection on the RT-AC87 / 2678 firmware seems to have done the same thing as 2061 & 2044 did to me, and did for several other members of this forum: eventual lock-up of the entire RT-AC87 after about 30 minutes or so.

I'm 4Mb down, 0.5 up, and I have ~25 clients, so I don't know if the Adaptive QoS is finding this an unworkable combination or not, but it locks up everything very hard. 2061 actually went into an unrecoverable state where I could not reboot and could not reset to defaults. I had to do a rescue flash to Merlin's firmware to recover.

2678 seemed to be going down that path as well, but I was able to get to the admin interface and bring down Adaptive QoS. That was not that long ago, however, so perhaps the issue is with the AiProtection stuff I turned on as well.

EDIT: Apologies from a first-time poster, I see the bugs thread for the official firmware now. DOH!

Last edited:
RMerlin when are you going to update your firmware to build 2678 code base

You do realize that Merlin does this in his spare time, he doesn't get paid for it, and it's a hobby, right? And that he needs the source code from ASUS before he can do it?

I'm sure Merlin will do it a) when the source code becomes available, and b) as free time permits. Until then, if 2678 is important to you, I would run the ASUS 2678 firmware.

RMerlin when are you going to update your firmware to build 2678 code base

Do you really have to ask me that question in two different posts, every single day? I already answered you.

Do you really have to ask me that question in two different posts, every single day? I already answered you.
Yea I know that I have answered him at least once myself. Its obvious that this individual is just intentionally engaging in very annoying behavior. If you search the posting history you will see that he knows about the source code as he asked if it had been posted.

Access Point Mode

Anyone using the router in AP (Access Point) Mode?

I tried to set it up in AP mode and it goes bonkers.

Loses connectivity to my network.

I connect it directly with Cat5 to laptop and run the device discovery app and it shows that it has IP address 1.1.1.1.

I currently use it in router mode, but if i reboot it my 5G radio never comes online.

I have to restore to factory defaults, change the IP address and then the 5G radio comes back online.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Akash

Hi

Just had the RT-AC87 delivered in UK (from US) and managed to upgrade to the latest fw and all is well....range & throughput is better than both R7000 & WRT1900AC so looks like this is a keeper.

However whenever i go to 192.168.1.1 on my pc the page just loads and loads and loads (using Chrome or IE) i have to click 'stop' to access the router's GUI. is this normal? Once i'm in the GUI, again some pages fail to load. Very annoying. This is my first ever Asus router but previously i had a Asus EA-N66 Wireless Ethernet Adapter and it was giving me an identical problem so much so that i just ended up binning it.

Hi

[...]

However whenever i go to 192.168.1.1 on my pc the page just loads and loads and loads [...].

It sounds like you're running ESET NOD32. It's a common issue; you have to exclude 192.168.1.1 (Setup --> Advanced Setup --> Web and email --> Protocol filtering --> Excluded IP addresses).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!