What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

It sounds like you're running ESET NOD32. It's a common issue; you have to exclude 192.168.1.1 (Setup --> Advanced Setup --> Web and email --> Protocol filtering --> Excluded IP addresses).

Yes i'm running ESET Smart Security and your fix has worked! Many thanks :) But out of curiosity why isn't this an issue with other brands of routers/hardware ( eg Linksys) which also use a default ip address of 192.168.1.1 for configuration?
Cheers

[...] why isn't this an issue with other brands of routers/hardware ( eg Linksys) which also use a default ip address of 192.168.1.1 for configuration?
Cheers

No clue, best asked in an ESET forum probably. I haven't seen any root cause mentioned. There might be an HTTP header or somesuch that ESET doesn't like.

Anyone using the router in AP (Access Point) Mode?

I tried to set it up in AP mode and it goes bonkers.

Loses connectivity to my network.

I connect it directly with Cat5 to laptop and run the device discovery app and it shows that it has IP address 1.1.1.1.

I currently use it in router mode, but if i reboot it my 5G radio never comes online.

I have to restore to factory defaults, change the IP address and then the 5G radio comes back online.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Akash

I originally purchased two of these devices. One was my router and the second was setup as an AP Point. Everything would work well and then every device connected to the AP Point would lose internet but still showed connected to wifi. Tried many things without any luck before returning it.

Yes i'm running ESET Smart Security and your fix has worked! Many thanks :) But out of curiosity why isn't this an issue with other brands of routers/hardware ( eg Linksys) which also use a default ip address of 192.168.1.1 for configuration?
Cheers

I saw it too in a old D-Link 655 wireless router. The router pages would not finish loading about 1 out of 3 times.

I saw it on no other internet pages. Just my ASUS and D-Link routers. I'm assuming it's a bug in ESET and the only circumvention is to disable ESET on those IPs.

I also saw this on my wife's PC that uses Trend Micro, not ESET, so it may be something common with 3rd party firewalls.

Bruce.

2678 Source code is up for those who were wondering
821f24120ef5c7742b21d0f27d683340.jpg

http://www.asus.com/us/support/Download/11/2/0/125/eS2N4HnylxXIJYBB/8/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary - when is the next build for us to tinker with :p?

Whats wrong with the latest 2678 build? The bugs have largely disappeared and i find it rock solid getting excellent range and throughput.

Is anyone still having issues with devices (on 2.4 OR 5 Ghz) losing WAN connectivity without losing WiFi connection? Nearly all the smart phones and tablets in my house exhibit this issue with this router. The solution either involves waiting several minutes or resetting the WiFi connection from the device side. WAN connection is restored immediately after that.

Is anyone still having issues with devices (on 2.4 OR 5 Ghz) losing WAN connectivity without losing WiFi connection? Nearly all the smart phones and tablets in my house exhibit this issue with this router. The solution either involves waiting several minutes or resetting the WiFi connection from the device side. WAN connection is restored immediately after that.

This issue I am having also. That is why I was hoping for another build

This issue I am having also. That is why I was hoping for another build
Glad to hear this isn't just me. The only client I have that does not exhibit this issue is my second AC87 sitting in media bridge mode. I was hoping the "Rx Overflow" fix in the most recent firmware was the solution but sadly it wasn't.

I'm experiencing this on my iPad Air and iPhone 5s. Reached out to Apple twice as I'm a registered Apple Dev and each time they've provided feedback stating it wasn't my hardware or software (iOS 8 beta 5) and showed me the logs and directed me to my router to troubleshoot there.

Happens on both bands. Router has default settings except I've enabled adaptive QOS and I have assigned IP's to prevent devices from fighting over an IP.

I could be way off but think one time I even noticed a computer that was wired to my router lose connection until I did a reboot. That could have just been the computer however.

Last edited:

i do get it also but have not tried latest firmware awaiting for merlin's, BUT my iPad 1 gets this issue on 5G so far. But my Samsung TV has not seen this yet.

It happened to me again today this time on the 5G band with my iPad Air.

Internet becomes extremely slow to the point it takes OVER two minutes to load. Turning off wifi on the device and turning back on seems to help momentarily before it slows down again. I should note all devices have assigned IP's. Doing a soft or hard reset of the device does not fix this. Switching bands or rebooting router corrects this issue.

Issue is similar to this users post: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=138894&postcount=75

I could be way off base here but think on a different router RMerlin mentioned there's some drivers for apple devices that may need to be updated, not sure if I recall his post correctly or if it even would apply to this router.

As I stated above Im a registered Apple developer and have access to higher end support and each time I've reached out to them they've concluded the same as me as this is a router issue and my own experience as noted here points to the same conclusion.

I'm not a router ninja so don't know how to pull logs if any would even be helpful but hoping my description helps.

As stated previously my router is configured with default settings except I have assigned IP's and I have adaptive QOS turned on and my iPad Air has the highest priority. All other settings are defaulted.

From what I know about the router and from what I'm seeing the 5ghz band driver needs work because if simply switching from the 5 to the 2.4 and that fixes my issue when im 30 ft away from router with nothing but Sheetrock and wood between the router and I then to me it's the driver.

Hope this helps in solving this issue. I seem to run into it quite several times a day if I try to stay on the 5ghz band.

It happened to me again today this time on the 5G band with my iPad Air.

Try playing with the IEEE 802.11h support setting under Wireless Professional -> 5 GHz band. Some Mac computers required that setting to be enabled to work properly.

Thanks RMerlin I will report back within 24 hours if no issues and will thoroughly test tonight on my 2012 iMac, 2010 MacBook Pro, and my iPhone 5S and iPad Air.

New firmware can't come soon enough. With this latest build, I'm getting disconnects every couple of days. The only thing that gets it going again is a hard reboot from the back of the router. A reboot from the gui page does not fix the issue.

Also my 5 GHz wireless locks up a couple of times per day. I have to turn WiFi off then back on again to get it working normally.

I'm hoping that the Asus team is aware of these bugs and that they will be addressed soon in an update.

Try playing with the IEEE 802.11h support setting under Wireless Professional -> 5 GHz band. Some Mac computers required that setting to be enabled to work properly.

After five to seven hours on my iPad Air and iphone same issue came up while on 5ghz. Switching to 2.4 and doing nothing else restored my internet connection/speed. I say that because it's not as if the 5ghz completely dies out, it just slows down considerably to where webpages will often time out and when they do load it's as if I'm on an old dial up modem and u can literally sit there and watch individual elements of a page load (which if it wasn't such a common occurrence would have been cool as all website graphics initially load blurry and cool looking).

Prior to switching off of 5ghz band multiple websites were loaded to ensure it wasn't an issue with a specific site and Internet was verified to be working as stated by simply switching bands.

There seems to be half a day or more time frame before it starts to slow down to a crawl as I was job hunting last night and ran my MacBook Pro from 100% battery down to 7% without issue and wasn't until two hours after I turned MacBook off due to low battery that the issue started back up. Also no issues on my hard wired iMac at this point and the issue I mentioned two posts ago or so was when router and iMac had been going for several weeks without a restart.

Was hoping the 802.11h would work but seems like it doesn't for my devices or rather the particular issue some of us are running into is still present.

Hope this helps and for what it's worth I try to check this thread at least twice a day.

With the 802.11h switch I would also try using a new ssid for your devices to test with.

Or, alternately, forget and re-associate all devices with your current ssid instead.

New firmware can't come soon enough. With this latest build, I'm getting disconnects every couple of days. The only thing that gets it going again is a hard reboot from the back of the router. A reboot from the gui page does not fix the issue.

Also my 5 GHz wireless locks up a couple of times per day. I have to turn WiFi off then back on again to get it working normally.

I'm hoping that the Asus team is aware of these bugs and that they will be addressed soon in an update.

I have the latest firmware build as well but I'm not experiencing any of your issue described. My RT-AC87 runs very stable actually. Maybe I lucked out but I don't experience any disconnects and the 5Ghz runs fine.

The only issue I have with the band is if I have a heavy load of downloading on that band then my HTC One disconnects which has wireless AC client in it. If I am downloading at like 4 to 5 megs a second then the issue happens. Stressed to much? Maybe I should turn on QoS? It's only the HTC that does it so I figure it's something in their software.... I'm not sure.

Maybe you have a bad unit or just go back to the previous firmware? I much prefer it over the Linksys WRT1900 and the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900.

I am seeing the problems others see, tho it is not a big deal, BUT should get fixed by asus in the near future.

I control a media device that is hard wired to my network from my HTC one max phone (5GHz) and every now and then when I hit pause or play or any key to control the device from my phone, the app says it can't find the media player, If i keep hitting the same button it will work or if I turn wifi off and on it will work for a little and then do the same, also if I move the phone just a foot it will work and my coverage is way beyond where I am.

I am using Merlin's build, that uses Asus previous build (I believe).

NOW in saying all this I still love this router and think it is second to none other but all these bugs do need to get fixed.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!