What's new

ASUS RT-AC87 Firmware - Official Releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There's been quite a few posts on this already - make sure you only use alphanumerics in your 5 GHz SSID and WPA key.

In the specific ASUS Forum:

Posted:10/18/2014 4:21:00 AM # 1
I am now on my second RT-AC87r.I returned the 1st one to best buy and ordered a
second which has the same issues. The router is great except for one issue which
others are having as well from the tech forums I am seeing online. Anytime you
reboot the router when it comes back online the 5ghz band will not re-enable and
time sync warnings appear in the web admin interface which can't be corrected nor
can you re-enable the 5ghz band in the web interface. All other processes and
settings in the router return to their normal status after a reboot. The only fix for the 5g
issue which works every time is a factory reset and "manually" setting everything up
again. I am on the most current firmware version 3.0.0.4.376_2769. I plan on
keeping the router because otherwise its awesome in every aspect. I previously had
an RT-AC66R and never had any issues like this. I know this a new unit on the
market and being an IT professional am very understanding of new product bugs. I
don't intend to send it in for warranty repair as I rely on it for work and I don't believe it
is a hardware issue since the factory reset resolves the issue every time. I am
hoping a firmware update will be released soon to resolve this one annoying issue
with an otherwise perfect router. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
vPic
VIP Member
Level :

Tech Points : 1

Posted:12/20/2014 10:16:00 PM # 2
Hi Todd,
I have not experienced the same as you, but I do seem to have a related issue.

I have serious performance issues managing the device if only connecting to it via the 5GHz band. The pages take forever to refresh when clicking between tabs.

For example, if I simply logon to the device while connected to the 5GHz band, simply clicking between the 2.4 and 5GHz band tabs for a simple 'System Status' takes minutes before the screen refreshes in the browser.

When I switch to the 2.4GHz band, results are instantaneous.

Mark W
Level :

Tech Points : 2

Posted:12/30/2014 8:28:00 PM # 3
Have you tried installing a different router firmware:

I recommend Asuswrt-Merlin - custom firmware for Asus routers
www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79

Resolved my 5ghz wifi issues. It even resolved my surface pro 3 5ghz wifi limited connectivity issues!

Mark

Elemino
VIP Member
Level :

Posted:1/14/2015 3:18:00 AM # 4
I'm having the same problem. Like you I returned the first unit thinking it was defective. Now I'm having the same issue on my second router... This is pitiful.

I'm trying the Merlin firmware.

I'm testing frequently just to see what the devices are doing using speedtest.net. Wired and on my Surface Pro 3 (which has two antennas) I'm getting maximal download about 115Mbps. The Air 2 iPad and Nokia 1520 still seem to be all over the place speed wise. It may be all this beam forming stuff does cause issues and it is the technology that is the problem. Arrays of antennas and beam forming probably works better at long range in mobile phone towers and the like than when you are using mobile devices around the house. I nearly went out and got the Netgear 8000 but lots of people have issues with them as well.

I wouldn't recommend the smaller handheld devices be used for throughput testing. They are designed for long battery life, not highest wifi performance. Any and all results you get from those devices are simply not consistently comparable to a plugged in laptop and almost any current wifi card.

The options like the beam forming settings may affect results, of course. But the power optimizations on the smaller devices affect throughput results much more.

I wouldn't recommend the smaller handheld devices be used for throughput testing. They are designed for long battery life, not highest wifi performance. Any and all results you get from those devices are simply not consistently comparable to a plugged in laptop and almost any current wifi card.

The options like the beam forming settings may affect results, of course. But the power optimizations on the smaller devices affect throughput results much more.

I know what you mean although I'm really just testing the internet speed, which of course can vary but typically and usually is about 115Mbps on Telstra cable and 2.4Mbps up.

I've updated the firmware to the latest Merlin 378.50 and it seems better. I was about to box it up and take it back but the Merlin firmware has a number of bugs fixed. So far no complete lockups on 5GHz with the iPad.

I might start another thread though. One thing I find puzzling is why this thing seems to operate at full power (and heat) even when nothing much is happening and the CPU is near zero. I could use this as a heater in my study in Winter. The CPU sits at 81C even when the CPU is idle and the unit is warm. My Synology DS414 runs much cooler and even hibernates when the network is idle.

Yes, they do run warm. But anecdotally, they are safe to almost double that temperature.

Yes, they do run warm. But anecdotally, they are safe to almost double that temperature.

I'm not too worried but it does surprise me the temperatures it does run at even when the CPU appears to be idle. One day when there are actual MU-MIMO devices on the network it makes me wonder what will happen when the CPU has serious work to do.

The Merlin latest release appears to have solved my connection issues on my iPad. It seems to be running better.

The bug in IE and Safari not showing RAM and CPU correctly is resolved and it seems to me that the router interface is quicker.

The new Traffic Monitor which Merlin put in the firmware release is also appreciated.

So thanks to the Magic Merlin.

If I'm not mistaken, they run warm because they don't sleep. Simply put; there is no speed step type power savings on the SoC.

With a load, they'll run warmer, of course. But not as high as you seem to expect.

Introducing aggressive power management would lead to latency as the clock would shift, something you usually want to avoid with a router.

In the specific ASUS Forum:

Posted:10/18/2014 4:21:00 AM # 1
I am now on my second RT-AC87r.I returned the 1st one to best buy and ordered a
second which has the same issues. The router is great except for one issue which
others are having as well from the tech forums I am seeing online. Anytime you
reboot the router when it comes back online the 5ghz band will not re-enable and
time sync warnings appear in the web admin interface which can't be corrected nor
can you re-enable the 5ghz band in the web interface. All other processes and
settings in the router return to their normal status after a reboot. The only fix for the 5g
issue which works every time is a factory reset and "manually" setting everything up
again. I am on the most current firmware version 3.0.0.4.376_2769. I plan on
keeping the router because otherwise its awesome in every aspect. I previously had
an RT-AC66R and never had any issues like this. I know this a new unit on the
market and being an IT professional am very understanding of new product bugs. I
don't intend to send it in for warranty repair as I rely on it for work and I don't believe it
is a hardware issue since the factory reset resolves the issue every time. I am
hoping a firmware update will be released soon to resolve this one annoying issue
with an otherwise perfect router. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

vPic
VIP Member
Level :

Posted:12/20/2014 10:16:00 PM # 2
Hi Todd,
I have not experienced the same as you, but I do seem to have a related issue.

I have serious performance issues managing the device if only connecting to it via the 5GHz band. The pages take forever to refresh when clicking between tabs.

For example, if I simply logon to the device while connected to the 5GHz band, simply clicking between the 2.4 and 5GHz band tabs for a simple 'System Status' takes minutes before the screen refreshes in the browser.

When I switch to the 2.4GHz band, results are instantaneous.

Mark W
Level :

Tech Points : 2

Posted:12/30/2014 8:28:00 PM # 3
Have you tried installing a different router firmware:

I recommend Asuswrt-Merlin - custom firmware for Asus routers
www.lostrealm.ca/tower/node/79

Resolved my 5ghz wifi issues. It even resolved my surface pro 3 5ghz wifi limited connectivity issues!

Mark

Elemino
VIP Member
Level :

Posted:1/14/2015 3:18:00 AM # 4
I'm having the same problem. Like you I returned the first unit thinking it was defective. Now I'm having the same issue on my second router... This is pitiful.

OMG, this brings up a great problem with this.

My first router up to ~1 month ago, every time I rebooted the router, it would get worse, I thought I had a bad router and replaced it, now this one is doing the same thing, with every firmware yet, something Asus did is staying in memory and corrupting these. Something was changed over these firmwares that is doing this.
my last load of dd-wrt was getting worse and worse every time I rebooted, then I flushed the router and loaded from scratch and all was fine, now I tried merlins BUT I did a reboot and power cycle of the router and it was just pitiful, ps4 lag after 3 hours just like the first router I had at the end.

Funny thing is to back this up even more my friends that I purchased for him when these came out (2 all together) I had loaded the latest official firmware on and 2 days ago I had him shut power down for a few minutes and power back up and guess what today he had to pull power again cause nothing was going out the WAN. WOW

I know some are going to brush this off BUT I am really believing this now, something in one of the updates updated something for sure and is creating all havoc when we cycle power or reboot constantly (I think just cycle power so far is the main cause).

I have 3 units all doing it, only when I updated them all to the newest official firmware (I can not prove other firmware). In the past I cycled power with no problems now all havic is breaking loose after each power cycle and I have to flush it, but so far with dd-wrt I can restore from a backup and all is fine, until I start power cycling again.

Something Asus wrote to permanent memory is in these or we need to unplug them for 15 minutes to drain, but I have not tested the 15 minute theory yet.

Last edited:
Funny thing is to back this up even more my friends that I purchased for him when these came out (2 all together) I had loaded the latest official firmware on and 2 days ago I had him shut power down for a few minutes and power back up and guess what today he had to pull power again cause nothing was going out the WAN. WOW
Don't want to spoil your theory but what you describe does not happen here. I am on latest firmware and had to do several power off / reboot during the past weeks. This had no effects whatsoever to the router or WAN. Sorry.

I think it is obvious that these Asus routers are simply too smart and are beginning to think for themselves.

The first thing is to toy with us humans!

Seriously I had all sorts of issues with my iPad Air 2 and Nokia 1520 having issues connecting and erratic speeds. I ended up turning off the router for 30 minutes and starting it again and it seems OK now.

I have the latest Merlin firmware.

The motto seems to be not to buy a router smarter than we are.

4376 is out but doesn't look like any changes worth updating for.

Asus RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4376
[Important] This firmware version only for Japan

Release note:
- Fix security issues.

So security fixes aren't worth updating? Errr...

Seriously I had all sorts of issues with my iPad Air 2 and Nokia 1520 having issues connecting and erratic speeds.
Possibly something specifically linked to Nokia 1520? I am running here a Nokia 930 (=Nokia icon for the US market) and had no issue with connection or speed. Actually the connection is running much better than when it was connected on my previous AC router from another brand.

well i was basing that off of this line....

Yeah, same with the recent N66U release. I suspect it's due to lack of time to complete validation testing before the Chinese New Year. Could be that Japan doesn't require strict validations on the wireless level.

Don't want to spoil your theory but what you describe does not happen here. I am on latest firmware and had to do several power off / reboot during the past weeks. This had no effects whatsoever to the router or WAN. Sorry.

Its funny the next post after you powered off for 30 minutes and it seems to have helped him:rolleyes:

But do not worry, your problems are just ahead of you with this router, I know I owned it since release.
Anyway I am now 2 days and 5 hours with dd-wrt and everything is still running perfect, no wifi loss, no ps4 lag, no hesitation in wifi app to LAN device control, IOS devices and others are perfect on 5GHz, no wife complaining that her ipad does not get internet, perfect.:D

So If Asus and dd-wrt are using the same drivers how come Asus can not get it right at all, or does this lead back to my post on the previous page?

Last edited:
4376 is out but doesn't look like any changes worth updating for.

Asus RT-AC87U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.4376

Release note:
- Fix security issues.

md5:9ee74a9d2ab056cf9a2581b3cd1f620a image/RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_4376-g7b5c40e.trx

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC87U/FW_RT_AC87U_30043784376.zip

Asus just said on the other thread (I had no intention anyway but I know someone does or did)
Please do not flash this firmware!
Found here

Last edited:
ASUS acknowledged firmware problems

Struggling with 2 x RT-AC87Us in Router/AccessPoint configuration as well. Spent the last two days flashing latest firmware (3.0.0.4.378_3885), resetting NVRAM, and rebuilding router/AP configurations multiple times. Main RT-AC87U router has been super stable with only the AP going offline into never-never land (I have never swapped router/AP purpose of physical units - may try this next).

Mine has been up for 22 hours straight now with everything functioning fine.

After getting the roundabout treatment between ASUS VIP Support and ASUS Component Technical Support (Tier 1 folks with limited knowledge and resources), I received a the following response from the VIP representative regarding Access Point functionality in the RT-AC87U

"I apologize for the inconvenience.

Yes, this issue is with the firmware and I have confirmed with the development team.

No worries, the next update will have fix for this.

Please keep visiting the support site for further updates.

If you need any further assistance from our end, kindly contact the support lines below my signature.

Thank you very much,"

The above reply was from a couple week ago ... still waiting for an update that fixes Access Point problems.

Possibly something specifically linked to Nokia 1520? I am running here a Nokia 930 (=Nokia icon for the US market) and had no issue with connection or speed. Actually the connection is running much better than when it was connected on my previous AC router from another brand.

I'm pretty happy with the router now. The 1520 isn't an issue. The iPad 2 sometimes needs to be disconnected and reconnected but not that often and it is easy to do.

It is a great router. I am curious, as others are, about the Trend Micro database and how often it is updated. If it isn't updated often, this would be an issue.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!