What's new

Asus RT-AC87R/U - FACTORY F/W Bug Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lilstone87

Very Senior Member
After getting this router over the weekend, and using it for about 2 day's. I thought it would make sense to start a thread, so anyone who has this router already, can post about bugs they are finding. So if you find a bug, or bugs using this router, report your finding's here.

Last edited:
I am currently using Merlin's first beta build for this router. Here are two bugs I have notice so far for me.

1. Using the 5GHz band, If I set wireless mode to "N Only". My bridge router instantly stops being able to connect to the router.

2. The QoS Monitor system is broken right now. Both the Bandwidth/Traffic monitor work, but neither collect data correctly. As of right now, my router uptime is 20 hours on Merlin's build. (Example)Traffic monitor showing 220 megabytes of data used, which is more like 5-8 gigabytes of data.

Is this thread for Merlin F/W or factory? I suggest you don't mix the two bug lists.

Is this thread for Merlin F/W or factory? I suggest you don't mix the two bug lists.

You bring up a good point, might be best to keep this thread for the factory firmware build's. As Merlin, does have his own thread's for the build's he release's. I will say the two bugs I already reported, I also found in the 2044 asus build.

When using "reboot router" in GUI, router ceases to function and GUI not reachable. Have to power off/on and all is good.

When using "reboot router" in GUI, router ceases to function and GUI not reachable. Have to power off/on and all is good.

What browser you using? As I know for sure I used the reboot button within the firmware on 2044 without an issue. I have been using chrome as my browser though.

keep getting these error:

kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
kernel: * Make sure sizeof(struct sw_struct)=160 is consistent
kernel: sizeof forward param = 160
kernel: Stop the IPS/AppID engine...

anybody?

keep getting these error:

kernel: * Make sure sizeof(struct sw_struct)=160 is consistent
kernel: sizeof forward param = 160
kernel: Stop the IPS/AppID engine...

anybody?

The three last lines are just debug output info from the DPI engine.

Merlin, I know this error has something to do with a network loop. But by the message does it tell you what wireless band is getting the error?

Merlin, I know this error has something to do with a network loop. But by the message does it tell you what wireless band is getting the error?

vlan1 is the entire LAN.

vlan1 is the entire LAN.

Well I can't figure out what's causing this error, it happens on avg like once per hour, and log up to about 9 of them max, sometimes only 1-3. I guess it's not something to worry to much about at this time.

Well I can't figure out what's causing this error, it happens on avg like once per hour, and log up to about 9 of them max, sometimes only 1-3. I guess it's not something to worry to much about at this time.

EDIT: nvm my original reply, the error message I was encountering and which is related to QoS is about the dead loops in vlan2. That one I already forwarded to Asus along with steps to reproduce them.

Last edited:
It seems to be a bug with the RT-AC87U QoS architecture. I've mostly noticed it when my bridged VM is accessing the Internet. I already forwarded the info to Asus HQ in hopes that they will be able to reproduce it using my reported steps.

You can disable QoS for now if it's generating too much log traffic.

Well I had QoS on, but I turned it off like an hour or so ago, and maybe 20 minutes after I seen two more in my log. I have a switch connected to the router, and I think it's causing the error. But still I think something on the router's end is at fault, as I now have seen a couple people post that same error from there log.

Well I had QoS on, but I turned it off like an hour or so ago, and maybe 20 minutes after I seen two more in my log. I have a switch connected to the router, and I think it's causing the error. But still I think something on the router's end is at fault, as I now have seen a couple people post that same error from there log.

I edited my reply, the QoS related issue is the dead loop on vlan2 error, which is different.

i'm only running router, no switch or extenter or anything and QoS always off.

Ok, bug found. When I choose reboot from the top of the router page it trys to reboot and the internet status light turns red on the router. When I connect to it I cant get into the gui or internet. Only way to fix is to reset by unplugging or the on/off switch.

I see Nightowl has this issues. Can someone else try just hitting the reboot button with the newest firmware. Thanks.

Ok, bug found. When I choose reboot from the top of the router page it trys to reboot and the internet status light turns red on the router. When I connect to it I cant get into the gui or internet. Only way to fix is to reset by unplugging or the on/off switch.

I see Nightowl has this issues. Can someone else try just hitting the reboot button with the newest firmware. Thanks.

does the same thing when I hit the reboot button, I have to pull power to get it back

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online