What's new

Asus RT-AC87R/U - FACTORY F/W Bug Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

does the same thing when I hit the reboot button, I have to pull power to get it back

Can you try the following?

1) Enable Telnet (or SSH if running my FW)
2) Log onto the router
3) CLick on the reboot button on the webui
4) After about 30 secs, run the following command:

Code:
ps w | grep emf

Please post the result here. That will show if it's getting stuck on a particular command which I suspect.

Well I know I already brought this error message up, but today I did a little testing. As I have my older N66U serve as a bridge over the 5GHz band. The N66U was running tomato, but I decided to put asus latest firmware on it. I put the N66U in there media bridge mode. But I am still running into this error.

As you can see both the AC87R, and N66U are logging this error. However the N66U is logging this error a lot when in use, and causing problems. I want to bring this up, as this is an issue that need's to be resolved, and it's happening between two router's asus supports. In which both are running asus supported firmware's.

RT-AC87R
Jul 30 13:20:14 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

RT-N66U
kernel: eth2: received packet with own address as source address

I'm using Chrome and the Reboot button in the GUI (near the top of the screen) seems to work fine for me on the latest firmware.

My biggest problem so far is that the 5ghz throughput is significantly lower than my Apple Airport Extreme (AC version). Wifi adapter is an Intel 7260 chip in a Win 7 x64 laptop. My Win 7 network "status" dialog says I can connect to the Apple router at 800+mbps, whereas the AC87R is consistently in the ~300mbps range. I'm hoping that the firmware update supposedly coming out later this week addresses this.

Last edited:
Can you try the following?

1) Enable Telnet (or SSH if running my FW)
2) Log onto the router
3) CLick on the reboot button on the webui
4) After about 30 secs, run the following command:

Code:
ps w | grep emf

Please post the result here. That will show if it's getting stuck on a particular command which I suspect.

wouldn't let me do it lost connection to the router until I pulled power

Well I know I already brought this error message up, but today I did a little testing. As I have my older N66U serve as a bridge over the 5GHz band. The N66U was running tomato, but I decided to put asus latest firmware on it. I put the N66U in there media bridge mode. But I am still running into this error.

As you can see both the AC87R, and N66U are logging this error. However the N66U is logging this error a lot when in use, and causing problems. I want to bring this up, as this is an issue that need's to be resolved, and it's happening between two router's asus supports. In which both are running asus supported firmware's.

RT-AC87R
Jul 30 13:20:14 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

RT-N66U
kernel: eth2: received packet with own address as source address

eth2 is the 5 GHz wifi band on the RT-N66U.

Make sure you don't have a device switching back and forth between 2.4 and 5 GHz. Ideally, use different SSIDs for each band, and make sure clients are only configured for one of the two.

wouldn't let me do it lost connection to the router until I pulled power

Ok, looks like it gets stuck further down the shutdown process then, meaning it's getting stuck on something else.

eth2 is the 5 GHz wifi band on the RT-N66U.

Make sure you don't have a device switching back and forth between 2.4 and 5 GHz. Ideally, use different SSIDs for each band, and make sure clients are only configured for one of the two.

Both my bands have different ssid's, so that's not a problem. I have two wired devices connected to the n66u which is connected to the ac87r using the 5GHz band. I did a good amount of troubleshooting today myself, and even tried running both on asus firmware. Which still had same issue, i will double check both devices to make sure they are not trying to connect wirelessly as well later tonight. But i honestly feel this might be a bug in asus firmware.

Merlin,

After I got home tonight, I again looked over thing's and couldn't find anything that could be causing this error to log sometimes every hour, other times every 2-4 hours.

Looking at the wireless log page, I do see some mac addresses that are similar. Hell I see the main mac address on the one bridge, and there is a second mac address that exactly the same, except for last letter. one 3E, other 3F. But only the one has requested a ip. So I wonder is it even possible addresses that are similar, could be causing the router to log this?

I would love to say this issue is on my end, but the more I try to find a root cause on my end with this error. I can't find a source for this error within my lan.

Not to keep posting about the same error, but wanted to do one last set of testing for myself. I disabled both wireless bands for over 4 hours, and didn't get one of these errors. I then enabled just the 2.4Ghz band, for about 4 hours. I got a couple of them error's, which at the time only two android(phones) were connected on the band. One of them was my own phone, and I know it only has 2.4GHz wireless settings setup. Plus I am 99.9999% sure the other android device, only had 2.4Ghz wireless settings setup as well.

So to me it seems this bug is a little fishy, and once the wireless band's are enabled on the AC87R, I start seeing this error often. I do know STP is automaticly enabled on this router, and is supposed to help with these kind of issue's.

Aslo I notice something else with QoS enabled, which I would consider a bug. I enabled QoS, and use the Traditional option. Which is pretty much exactly what QoS was on my older N66U. I setup each priority class and it's set bandwidth usage limit's. The download limits for each class never worked on the N66U. So if you set the overall limit to 120mbps down, and have 150mbps down connection like me. Everything would still be able to reach the max download speed's of 150mbps.

The biggest thing I seem to think is a bug. Is the upload side of thing's, as I sent the overall upload at 18mbps, on 21mbps max upload. So after applying each priority class for upload. It worked like it should, but after a certain period of time. I could run a speedtest, and I would max out my upload, including powerboost my isp provides. So it's like the applied upload priorities, stopped working after a while.

Also I tested this more then a couple times, reapplying the setting's after they stopped working correctly. Reapplying the settings would get it to limit the upload again, but would stop working again after awhile. Personally I don't trust using the "Intelligence" option of the QoS at this point in time, being so new. I currently have QoS disabled, as I think there are some bug's to work out on asus end, and I just posted about one I found doing testing myself.

Last edited:
Telnet password is limited to 8-char length.

My router login password is longer than 8 characters; however, no matter what I type after the 8th character in Telnet, it lets me in.

Well after hearing a couple other's say upnp stops working randomly. I wanted to test this out, and i noticed my ps4 was reporting a moderate connection with upnp enabled. I looked at the portforward log, and seen it wasn't properly opening ports the ps4 requested.

So i went ahead, and disabled upnp. Then i re-enabled upnp, and retested the ps4, which came back with open connection. I checked the portforward log, and it was now showing it opening correct ports. Still this tells me, other's were right, and upnp randomly stops working on asus latest build. So hopefully asus is reading the forums here, as this is something important that needs fixing. I guess i can manually open ports needed for now.

Those who use Adaptive QoS, have you had any issues with it?
I currently have it turned off (Enable Smart QOS - OFF) until I am sure it works properly. I also have Apps analysis OFF at the moment.

Those with both enabled, things been running smooth for you?

Well tonight after router having a uptime close to 4 days, i notice my bridge extender dropping 5GHz band signal on and off. So the 5GHz band is buggy atm. So i am happy to know asus is already aware, and working on a firmware build to improve the 5GHz range, and stability.

Hi Everyone,

Just picked up two RT-AC87R routers at BestBuy yesterday and set them up. I want to use one as a router and the other as a media bridge, but when I turn the second one into media bridge mode and connect to the 5Ghz SSID the unit reboots but does not successfully connect to the network.

If I have the media bridge connect to the 2.4Ghz SSID it connects after a reboot without any problems.

I've tried the newest ASUS firmware as well as Merlin's Beta3 firmware with no success getting the media bridge to work on 5Ghz.

I'm going to try doing factory resets of both units, then I'll flash back to the most recent ASUS firmware and try again. Does anyone else have any tips on how I can get this working? I know there is supposed to be a new firmware release sometime this week, so maybe it will help!

Well tonight after router having a uptime close to 4 days, i notice my bridge extender dropping 5GHz band signal on and off. So the 5GHz band is buggy atm. So i am happy to know asus is already aware, and working on a firmware build to improve the 5GHz range, and stability.

Yes, I started experiencing issues in the last 24 hours with 5GHz as well, similar to yours. Wireless doesn't drop, but LAN/WAN access stop responding unless one disconnects and reconnects to the WLAN.

The "dead vlan2 loop" issue has been found by Asus, and will be resolved in the next firmware update.

I've noticed a bug in the Network Map, when checking connected clients. The number of connected clients frequently doesn't match the actual number of listed client. It will say there are 14 connected but only list 7 clients. It doesn't matter whether the router is rebooted, reset, firmware reinstalled, or anything else, the discrepancy remains. This is using the Asus firmware. Any ideas?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!