What's new

Asus RT-AC87R/U - FACTORY F/W Bug Thread

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi bro. I have already mentioned your problem which I encountered way before you. You might want to look at #63 of this thread.

Actually, doing a reset by pressing the hard button does not solve the issue as well, perhaps this is something that is software related and is pending for resolution..

Oh sorry i had missed your post, Well count me in for this bug. I have had 4 rt-ac87R. All of them do it after resets etc.

I hope it gets fixed.

Cheers

Freeze valley

Have been terribly unhappy with router since the first "quantenna" performance update. Was strangely working pretty good on the early firmwares, buggy but better than this. Was so hoping the last update would fix the issue but it has not.

I'm running a Mac retina 15 and an AC68U as a repeater. The AC87 will go from responsive to completely non responsive for hours on both bands. Hardly able to pull up the interface from my MacBook although my iPad seems to connect fine.

Using the AC68 as my main router fixes the issue. Anyone else had issues with the last two updates ?

Have been terribly unhappy with router since the first "quantenna" performance update. Was strangely working pretty good on the early firmwares, buggy but better than this. Was so hoping the last update would fix the issue but it has not.

I'm running a Mac retina 15 and an AC68U as a repeater. The AC87 will go from responsive to completely non responsive for hours on both bands. Hardly able to pull up the interface from my MacBook although my iPad seems to connect fine.

Using the AC68 as my main router fixes the issue. Anyone else had issues with the last two updates ?

You should have waited to buy the 87U but i am sure Asus thanks you for being a beta tester. Enjoy !! :)

You should have waited to buy the 87U but i am sure Asus thanks you for being a beta tester. Enjoy !! :)

I thought there was no difference between the two for this release, with the U and R only designating the methods used to sell them. Pretty sure that was in a press release. Merlin makes the same point.

I thought there was no difference between the two for this release, with the U and R only designating the methods used to sell them. Pretty sure that was in a press release. Merlin makes the same point.

There is no difference between the U and the R I was referring to the 87 in general.

i'm running AC87 as a main router and AC68 as a access point and they both running smooth without any problem, also i'm using Macbook Pro 13 retina too, 2 ipad, apple tv and 2 PC always on with 1 setup as a media server.

Can one of you running FW 376_2769 tell me if you go to the Wireless page, and click on the Frequency menu, do you still get both 2.4 and 5 GHz, or only 2.4 GHz shown?

Can one of you running FW 376_2769 tell me if you go to the Wireless page, and click on the Frequency menu, do you still get both 2.4 and 5 GHz, or only 2.4 GHz shown?

I get access to both 2.4 and 5GHz there. iOS 8 on the iPhone 6 seems to have a 802.11ac issue but that is apparently being fixed in the upcoming iOS 8.1 update in a couple weeks. I have no other issues with this router.

Hello,

When I tried it I did not have much time so reverted back to 2768. Before reverting back neither 2.4 or 5 showed yet I was connected to 5.

Hopefully the next version will be a seamless install.

Thanks for those who tested it. I finally tracked it down - the issue is actually caused by a bug in an older Asus firmware, which would store an invalid setting in nvram for wl1_nband. With 2769, recent changes by Asus make the webui rely even more on that setting to determine whether it should display the 5 GHz options or not. Since my router still had the invalid value set in nvram, that was causing my webui to miss the 5 GHz settings.

This is another example that shows why sometimes a factory default reset is ideal after flashing a new firmware, especially if you encounter any unusual issues. In this case, an older bug that was fixed in recent firmwares was causing another issue to appear only a few FW later.

Hello,

When I tried it I did not have much time so reverted back to 2768. Before reverting back neither 2.4 or 5 showed yet I was connected to 5.

Hopefully the next version will be a seamless install.

You might have been hit by the same issue as me. Running the following commands over telnet will fix those invalid settings, if you don't want to do a complete factory default reset:

Code:
nvram set wl0_nband=2
nvram set wl1_nband=1
nvram commit

This is actually caused by a bug that was already fixed a few weeks ago, not by a new one.

Last edited:
You might have been hit by the same issue as me. Running the following commands over telnet will fix those invalid settings, if you don't want to do a complete factory default reset:

Code:
nvram set wl0_nband=2
nvram set wl0_nband=1
nvram commit

This is actually caused by a bug that was already fixed a few weeks ago, not by a new one.

Hello,

Thanks for the info. Should these be run before or after install of 2769?

Code:
nvram set wl0_nband=2
nvram set wl0_nband=1
nvram commit

Typo?....shouldn't one of those set commands reference wl1_nband?

Typo?....shouldn't one of those set commands reference wl1_nband?

Ya... It's been a long day. Sigh.

I'll update my post, thanks.

Hello,

Thanks for the info. Should these be run before or after install of 2769?

After. Note that you might not necessarily need to run these, it depends on whether you ever ran one of the bugged versions before.

Also note I just corrected the posted command, there was a typo in the second one.

After. Note that you might not necessarily need to run these, it depends on whether you ever ran one of the bugged versions before.

Also note I just corrected the posted command, there was a typo in the second one.

Hello,

Duly noted.
Much appreciated.

kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

Asus RT-AC87U
Firmware: 3.0.0.4.376_2769

I am also getting "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address" in the system log.

Is this a bug or have I done something wrong in the configuration? I upgraded from RT-AC66 and that worked fine. I have reviewed the configuration on both my RT-AC66 and AC87 RT and everything looks fine.

When I get these messages I lose internet connection for 10-20 seconds.
I get these messages whether my switch is connected to port 1 or not but I get them often if my switch is connected and I Watch Netflix via Apple TV approximately every hour.

If I disconnect the switch in port 1 and only use wifi connection I only get the message every 4-6 hours. But there will also be much more activity when the switch is set to the port 1 because in my switch there is Sonos, Philips Hue, Apple TV and PS4 connected only by cable.

Oct 6 06:35:59 kernel: net_ratelimit: 367 callbacks suppressed
Oct 6 06:35:59 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Oct 6 06:36:00 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Oct 6 06:36:01 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Oct 6 06:36:03 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Oct 6 06:36:05 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Oct 6 06:36:07 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Oct 6 06:36:09 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Oct 6 06:36:11 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address

Asus RT-AC87U
Firmware: 3.0.0.4.376_2769

I am also getting "kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address" in the system log.

Is this a bug or have I done something wrong in the configuration? I upgraded from RT-AC66 and that worked fine. I have reviewed the configuration on both my RT-AC66 and AC87 RT and everything looks fine.

When I get these messages I lose internet connection for 10-20 seconds.
I get these messages whether my switch is connected to port 1 or not but I get them often if my switch is connected and I Watch Netflix via Apple TV approximately every hour.

If I disconnect the switch in port 1 and only use wifi connection I only get the message every 4-6 hours. But there will also be much more activity when the switch is set to the port 1 because in my switch there is Sonos, Philips Hue, Apple TV and PS4 connected only by cable.

Oct 6 06:35:59 kernel: net_ratelimit: 367 callbacks suppressed
Oct 6 06:35:59 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Oct 6 06:36:00 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Oct 6 06:36:01 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Oct 6 06:36:03 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Oct 6 06:36:05 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Oct 6 06:36:07 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Oct 6 06:36:09 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
Oct 6 06:36:11 kernel: br0: received packet on vlan1 with own address as source address
I'm getting the same error.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I got these errors when a wireless device wanted to assign its own IP address....It went away when I allowed assigned addresses...and assigned it on the router side as well.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online