What's new

Asus RT-AC87U Going Crazy; Log Says "klogd started:BusyBox v1.20.2"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Saltrams

New Around Here
Salve!
Please assume I know nothing, you won't go far wrong. I use my Asus RT-AC87U router out of the box & I try not to mess with it.
However, it keeps doing this mad thing at random intervals & I need to stop it. What happens is that everything is going along fine with Internet access behaving normally then suddenly a user on any one of our home devices will report there's no Internet access. I go to the router & all the blue lights are going crazy, I can't access the router to see what's happening so I either have to leave it to finish the madness for 30 minutes or turn it off for a similar time & then turn it back on.
Sometimes this can happen more than once per day but sometimes it goes for weeks without happening. I have saved every system log event that I was aware of the problem and can upload upon request but I have absolutely no clue as to what could be causing it.
Does anyone clever know what's wrong please? Thank you so much.

UPDATE - following a helpful response that explained 31 July is the default bootup start date & the entries are the bootup procedure, I now replace the piece of sys log that I posted initially with one showing the events leading to the reboots and wherein it occurs twice within 40 minutes, at Feb 9 14:40:40 and then at Feb 9 15:20:23. The log is too long for the post & therefore uploaded.

Attachments

• Reboot Events 9_Feb_18.txt
    45 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:
Everything with a date of Jul 31 is the normal boot up log that you get after powering on the router, before it connects to the internet to set the correct date and time. So if you turned off or reset the router you will see these messages.

So, assuming that it was you who powered off the router then, the problem occurred before the Jul 31 entries and is not shown in the log.

Thanks Fitz Mutch and Yo Mans 2; I haven't done any Firmware flashing and any power cycle/reboot wasn't by me. As for crashing, maybe. Is that a solution in itself, in so far as there can't be a solution to prevent it happening?
Oh, and sorry, no I have no memory stick attatched.

Last edited:
Everything with a date of Jul 31 is the normal boot up log that you get after powering on the router, before it connects to the internet to set the correct date and time. So if you turned off or reset the router you will see these messages.

So, assuming that it was you who powered off the router then, the problem occurred before the Jul 31 entries and is not shown in the log.

Ah! I didn't know that about July 31st (why not Jan 1st? I'm digressing). I certainly didn't turn the router off myself. I very rarely do that (maybe I should?) It just happens. Maybe I have posted the wrong part in that case, I should be posting the part that precedes the 31st July entries. I'll try that.

I go to the router & all the blue lights are going crazy
If there is traffic going through the port indicated by the LED then it will flash. So it's normal for all of them to flash to some degree.

I haven't done any Firmware flashing and any power cycle/reboot wasn't by me.
There's no indication in the log that the router crashed (although that's not conclusive). Look for reasons why the power to the router might have been interrupted. Loose connection at the wall or router end, power plugs not pushed in fully, faulty power button, rouge pet/wife/husband/child bumping into the power socket, etc.

I may have missed it, but which firmware version are you running? I ask as this fix may be relevant:

Code:
380.69_2 (28-Jan-2018)

- CHANGED: Quantenna watchdog is less likely now to
             incorrectly assume the QTN CPU has crashed
             (which can lead to router reboots). (RT-AC87U)

If there is traffic going through the port indicated by the LED then it will flash. So it's normal for all of them to flash to some degree.

There's no indication in the log that the router crashed (although that's not conclusive). Look for reasons why the power to the router might have been interrupted. Loose connection at the wall or router end, power plugs not pushed in fully, faulty power button, rouge pet/wife/husband/child bumping into the power socket, etc.

Thanks again for your help. I mentioned the lights because they seem busier than usual & that would be strange if there's no Internet so there shouldn't be traffic (??)
As for the power situation, whilst by no means impossible & I may have a faulty UPS, my setup is isolated so there can be no knocking or casual accidents. I can change UPS sockets (as no other kit powers down randomly) but I doubt I could diagnose a faulty power switch. Maybe there is something in the new SysLog extract I have uploaded?

I may have missed it, but which firmware version are you running? I ask as this fix may be relevant:

Code:
380.69_2 (28-Jan-2018)

- CHANGED: Quantenna watchdog is less likely now to
             incorrectly assume the QTN CPU has crashed
             (which can lead to router reboots). (RT-AC87U)

Ooo! Looks promising. I'll inspect my version but I never update it so I know it isn't the one you quote. Frankly, I'm terrified of doing it in case it alters something that stops my VPN from working. Thank you for the information because at least I would know what the problem is even if I'm not prepared to fix it!

I think Jack may be onto something here because the following tell-tale line proceeds the first reboot.

Feb 9 14:40:40 QTN: QTN connection lost[169.254.39.37][169.254.39.41]

However, I think I'd be more concerned about the almost continuous errors from your VPN client indicating that it can't connect. If you're routing everything through the VPN that could explain your loss of internet connectivity. If I were you I'd temporarily disable the VPN client and see if the problem reoccurs. If it does you might get some more helpful error messages. Or update the firmware and hope that fixes it.

What is your Asus connected to, a cable modem? Check the logs on that device to see if your ISP's internet connection is going down.

I think Jack may be onto something here because the following tell-tale line proceeds the first reboot.

Feb 9 14:40:40 QTN: QTN connection lost[169.254.39.37][169.254.39.41]

However, I think I'd be more concerned about the almost continuous errors from your VPN client indicating that it can't connect. If you're routing everything through the VPN that could explain your loss of internet connectivity. If I were you I'd temporarily disable the VPN client and see if the problem reoccurs. If it does you might get some more helpful error messages. Or update the firmware and hope that fixes it.

What is your Asus connected to, a cable modem? Check the logs on that device to see if your ISP's internet connection is going down.

Even to my level of insight, it does seem very promising about the Firmware fix.

The things you point out about the VPN are not reflected in the Internet connection performance though. When the router is working, which is most of the time as this QTN business is not very frequent, we route everything through the VPN. This is because we are expats (Brits living in Italy) and we want all our TV and Websites to be British but when the Internet connection is working we don't experience any loss of VPN such as you say is reflected in the SysLog. However, we live in rural Italy and the Internet connection itself is pretty poor, both unreliable in the sense of dropouts and slow-downs and also we have pretty poor speeds of max 2Mbps.

The router is attached to an Asus DSL-N12E modem. I've never interrogated its log but will attempt to do so.

Thanks for all this advice, it's a real help :)

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!