What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.22525

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

First time for me... lost Wi-Fi on 5GHz. Came back but very slow link speed. Notebook was 1,733.3 Mbps, then only 133
reboot didn't help, installed Merlin, worked well, then put this firmware on and again slow....
Restored from fresh and then all good again, go figure. Pretty sure nothing to do with this firmware, at times a restore from fresh may make sense to get everything sorted again...

Hi,
If I save the config from the admin (I use factory firmware), can I restore everything after this? I have lots of devices, renamed them for easier recognition, + other settings here and there.
Thanks in advance.

Only restore a saved router configuration .cfg file made from the same hardware/firmware that you are restoring to... good for recovering an existing installation.

So, your options are:

1. Upgrade firmware and hope for no conflicts/weirdness between old and new.

2. Upgrade firmware, Hard Reset it to its default settings, and configure it from scratch.

The more you customize the router firmware, the more tedious its administation, so I keep it simple.

OE

Last edited:
Adaptive QoS is the only one working correctly with IPv6 enabled. Traditional QoS and Bandwidth Limiter both broken like in 22068.

anyone using static ip with vpn fusion? i was pulling my hair out with the previous release using surfshark. dialed back to tried and true nord which was better but still had some abhorrent behavior.

Had to register just for this latest AX86 Firmware mess.

My AI Mesh system consisting of 2 AX86 has been broken for the last couple of firmware updates. I did a complete clean install of 22525 (WPS Button reset) and one of the connected AI mesh nodes looses the internet connection at random times, causing its clients to claim having no connection or switching to cellular in case of smartphones. If I turn off the second AX86 everything runs well apart from the loss of coverage.

Something is clearly broken regarding AI mesh with the latest firmwares.

Are there any recommendations for older working firmwares from last year?

My AI Mesh system consisting of 2 AX86 has been broken for the last couple of firmware updates. I did a complete clean install of 22525 (WPS Button reset) and one of the connected AI mesh nodes looses the internet connection at random times, causing its clients to claim having no connection or switching to cellular in case of smartphones. If I turn off the second AX86 everything runs well apart from the loss of coverage.

I'm starting to think after seeing more and more posts that AIMesh isn't a reliable way to judge firmware stability. Everything I've heard from various people is that there is always some kind of instability with it. Sounds like it never was a reliable solution from the start.

I'm starting to think after seeing more and more posts that AIMesh isn't a reliable way to judge firmware stability. Everything I've heard from various people is that there is always some kind of instability with it. Sounds like it never was a reliable solution from the start.
It was working perfectly fine for me until the beginning of this year to be honest.

I'm only going by other people's feedback. I have no need for it in my personal setup. So, I can't comment personally.
It is a great feature - when it works. But there are so many potential combinations.... However, inexcusable when it's flaky on their mesh routers.

It is a great feature - when it works. But there are so many potential combinations.... However, inexcusable when it's flaky on their mesh routers.
I just haven't lived in a place big enough to need it. My last apartment was 877 sq ft all one level, and this one is about 625, I think, and the single router is more than enough to cover it. So, after finding out that mesh was overall for me, I never pursued it any further.

Or, something is clearly broken with your network... hard to tell from here.

OE

I checked everything else and it's running fine without the second router / AI mesh node. I'm using ethernet for the AI mesh connection.

4 android phones, 2 MacBooks, 1 Mac Mini, TV, 7 Google Home Devices, 7 Shelly 2.5 switches, 1 Roborock Vacuum, 1 Philips Hue bridge (about 50 lights via zigbee protocol), 5 homematic thermostats.

Sometimes the Asus Hard Factory reset, AKA WPS reset, does not clear all the settings and /jffs of the AX86U. Known issue for a while. Use the GUI factory reset.

I just haven't lived in a place big enough to need it. My last apartment was 877 sq ft all one level, and this one is about 625, I think, and the single router is more than enough to cover it. So, after finding out that mesh was overall for me, I never pursued it any further.
3 story house and I don’t need it, much prefer one stable wired AP I never ever have to worry about…

3 story house and I don’t need it, much prefer one stable wired AP I never ever have to worry about…
2 story house, AX86U on one end of ground floor, AX58U hard wired access point on other side of house on ground floor. Upstairs (3 bedrooms) has 3 smart TVs and 3 computers with AX wifi cards. Get a solid full connection on each device. Downstairs has 2 wired PCs, wired XboxOne and PS4, 2 wired smart TVs, wifi has 2 phones, laptop and tablet. Never a connection issue.

sam

2 story house, AX86U on one end of ground floor, AX58U hard wired access point on other side of house on ground floor. Upstairs (3 bedrooms) has 3 smart TVs and 3 computers with AX wifi cards. Get a solid full connection on each device. Downstairs has 2 wired PCs, wired XboxOne and PS4, 2 wired smart TVs, wifi has 2 phones, laptop and tablet. Never a connection issue.

sam
Good setup! I moved our main cable modem (coax) to the upstairs floor with the router side by side, made a huge difference vs everything in the basement.... the access point works so well with stationary iOT devices...

Having a strange issue with AX86U on 22525. The client list seems to be stuck to the status as of a couple days ago. It's not showing any of the new devices that have connected since that time. I'm seeing the issue in:
  • Client Status on main web GUI page
  • View List link from main web GUI page
  • Devices list in the Android app
However, I do see the new devices on the System Log - DHCP Leases tab. Also noteworthy, the Android app has been alerting me when new devices connect to the network, but the new devices don't show up on any of the above 3 lists.

I have not rebooted the router. I suspect a reboot would probably temporarily clear the issue, but how long before it shows up again? I'm mostly wondering - is anyone else having this issue? And is there any way I can poke at this list to force it to refresh without rebooting?

Everything else on the router seems to be functioning properly, so this is mostly a nuisance, but I really would like a way to reliably see the devices on my network. I am willing to reboot and/or reset my router if that's my only recourse, just checking to see if this is widespread and if there are any workarounds.

Thanks for any feedback.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!