What's new

Asus rt-ax86u pro 1 gig

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

freddyjuarez

Regular Contributor
When I was on spectrum 500 mbps plan the speed test between the Netgear CM2000 modem and router was giving me speed tests results of 594 mbps, and wifi speed test also way over 500 mbps.....

I upgraded to 1 gig tell me why the speed test from modem to router is under 1 gig and my wifi test is showing numbers of 547 mbps

My speed test from modem to router I feel it should be way over 1 gig same with wifi speed test, representative told me I don't need to power cycle anything.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240813-040152.jpg
    Screenshot_20240813-040152.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20240813-040235.jpg
    Screenshot_20240813-040235.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20240813-040041.jpg
    Screenshot_20240813-040041.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20240813-040111.jpg
    Screenshot_20240813-040111.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20240813-035928.jpg
    Screenshot_20240813-035928.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 29
Test result of 940Mbps is exactly Gigabit Ethernet. Are you using the 2.5GbE port for WAN?

It will be a challenge to get >Gigabit on Wi-Fi. You need working 160MHz wide channels and 160MHz capable client.

Test result of 940Mbps is exactly Gigabit Ethernet. Are you using the 2.5GbE port for WAN?

It will be a challenge to get >Gigabit on Wi-Fi. You need working 160MHz wide channels and 160MHz capable client.
But did you read everything I said on 500 mbps plan speed test from modem to router was giving me test results of way over the 500 mbps also wifi speed test was giving me results of way over 500 mbps..........

This 1 gig plan is giving me modem to router speed test results of under 1 gig my wifi speed test results are as if I'm still on the 500 mbps plan look at screenshots

Once again now that I'm on 1 gig i expect modem to router speed test results to be just over 1gig not under why when I was on 500 mbps I was getting modem to router speeds over 500????????

I have 160 mhz on my device is a OnePlus 7 Pro

Hey no I'm using the regular port
1 Gbps LAN port don't tell me I'm supposed to use the 2.5 port I didn't think about using it because my plan is only 1 gig....

Regular WAN port is Gigabit, or up to ~940Mbps.

Most of your wired and wireless clients won't see anything higher than Gigabit even if you use the 2.5GbE port for WAN. Your ISP plan upgrade - perhaps only paying more for better speed test. Your Internet experience will stay the same. The ISP is happy with the deal, I guess.

Regular WAN port is Gigabit, or up to ~940Mbps.

Most of your wired and wireless clients won't see anything higher than Gigabit even if you use the 2.5GbE port for WAN.
Well on wifi speed test I'm not even getting close to 1 gig like I said I'm getting results as if I'm still on the 500 mbps plan..... 😡

Wow so basically just to play it smart it's best to just switch to using the 2.5 port even if Internet plan is only 1 gig??? Btw my friend is getting 1378 on wifi but I think he has a newer iphone

If you expect to see ISP overprovisioning over Gigabit - use the green 2.5GbE port. If Gigabit is all you expect - use the blue Gigabit port. Gigabit Ethernet is up to ~940Mbps, 2.5Gb Ethernet is up to ~2.3Gbps. iPhones don't have 160MHz wide channel support on Wi-Fi 6, only on 6E and specific models.

If you expect to see ISP overprovisioning over Gigabit - use the green 2.5GbE port. If Gigabit is all you expect - use the blue Gigabit port. Gigabit Ethernet is up to ~940Mbps, 2.5Gb Ethernet is up to ~2.3Gbps. iPhones don't have 160MHz wide channel support on Wi-Fi 6, only on 6E and specific models.
He has a Iphone 15 pro max

iPhone 15 Pro - 160MHz on 6GHz band only, or Wi-Fi 6E.

Your OnePlus and his iPhone don't care much if the connection is Wi-Fi 5, Wi-Fi 6 or Wi-Fi 6E. They have nothing to do with >Gigabit connection anyway. It just doesn't matter for any phone/tablet client. You can eventually enjoy speed test numbers to justify the extra monthly cost for your new ISP plan.

I switched to the 2.5 gig port modem to router now I see results over 1 gig 👍🏼 on that, but wifi speed test I don't know men I know I won't see 1 gig on my phone but men I'm not even seeing the same Wi-Fi speed tests results as before on spectrum 500 mbps plan all my wifi speed test were over in between 500 mbps to 700 something mbps now look at screenshots look at what I'm getting

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240812-190749.jpg
    Screenshot_20240812-190749.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Check link speeds to this client in Client List. Not sure why you are stressing yourself so much for things that actually don't matter at all. This phone doesn't need anywhere near Gigabit speeds, it has built-in power saving features you can't control and Wi-Fi is shared between all users, not guaranteed.

Check link speeds to this client in Client List. Not sure why you are stressing yourself so much for things that actually don't matter at all. This phone doesn't need anywhere near Gigabit speeds, it has built-in power saving features you can't control and Wi-Fi is shared between all users, not guaranteed.
Bro your not understanding yes I know this phone won't get 1 gig but seems like I was getting more worth my money paying for 500 mbps plan because at least with that it seem like all my speed tests results were over 500, now I'm getting under 500 like wtf

Bro, I'm gonna live you in your confused state and stop wasting my time explaining how things work. 🧐

Don't test with mobile devices, don't expect guaranteed Wi-Fi speeds all the time. There is traffic on this Wi-Fi highway, not just you. Evening time people are home, they browse Internet, check what's new on Facebook and Instagram, stream YouTube and Netflix - rush hour. Everyone's speeds are lower than maximum possible, obviously. See the large variations 300-500Mbps? Tomorrow morning you may get 700Mbps. Calm down.

seems like I was getting more worth my money paying for 500 mbps

This is correct. Internet experience is about the same over 100Mbps ISP line. Most websites won't exceed this speed, UHD streaming fits in 40Mbps, all voice/video calls fit in 10Mbps, etc. Increasing your ISP line speed with no need (many users) is investing in speed tests and faster file downloads.

.... but men I'm not even seeing the same Wi-Fi speed tests results as before on spectrum 500 mbps plan all my wifi speed test were over in between 500 mbps to 700 something mbps now look at screenshots look at what I'm getting
It appears from the two images you posted you are using different speed test programs and different end point servers to test your speed against. That may result in different results.

You may want to post readable screen shots of your WiFi settings redacting any sensitive information so others can look at your WiFi settings to see if there is anything that should be adjusted or changed. As already indicated by others, your WiFi speed is likely to vary based on your local environmental variables. Check the Client List to see what it indicates for the WiFi client.

It appears from the two images you posted you are using different speed test programs and different end point servers to test your speed against. That may result in different results.

You may want to post readable screen shots of your WiFi settings redacting any sensitive information so others can look at your WiFi settings to see if there is anything that should be adjusted or changed. As already indicated by others, your WiFi speed is likely to vary based on your local environmental variables. Check the Client List to see what it indicates for the WiFi client.
Well it's 4am I did several speed test from same app and I'm still not getting results of over 500 mbps being on 1 gig but on spectrum 500 mbps I was getting speed test results of 500+ Mbps

I put screenshots of 2.4 and 5.0 settings on top

Last edited:

Are you there???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240813-220001.jpg
    Screenshot_20240813-220001.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 30
Are you there???
It is becoming confusing (at least to me) exactly what your issue is.

Your WiFi speeds will be dependent on the capabilities of the WiFi hardware on the phone (or other WiFi device). As others indicated you likely will never see close to 1GB WiFi speed unless you have WiFi 6 (160GHz) capable WiFi hardware on the phone or other mobile device and even then one may never see the full marketing advertised WiFi speed.

Your first step should be to test a computer directly connected to the broadband provider's equipment using Ethernet cable (do not use WiFi). Test the broadband speed with the Asus router out of the mix with only the computer directly connected to the broadband modem or gateway. Verify that the Ethernet connected computer is reporting the speed you are paying for with the Asus router not connected. If you are not getting the speed you are paying for, contact your broadband provider support line and have them check the line to ensure it was properly upgraded from 500MB to 1GB. Mistakes do happen and sometimes the line is not properly provisioned.

Note that broadband companies typically do not, on consumer lines, guarantee you'll receive their advertised maximum speed. They all use fine print language like "speeds up to 1GB" which means you could see 1GB speed or you could see 200MB speed. Further one's broadband speed can be affected if the broadband provider over provisioned the line and your neighbors or family members are all using that line at the same time (like evenings or after school hours).

Next, connect the Asus router to the broadband provider's equipment. And use a Ethernet wired connected computer to test the broadband speed. Do not test using WiFi at this point. Verify using a Ethernet wired computer with a Gigabit capable Ethernet port. If the broadband speed test verifies that you are receiving close to 940Mbps then you are receiving the speeds you are paying for (assuming 1GB plan speed).

Only then should you move to looking at the WiFi speed. Check the WiFi specifications for your WiFI devices. It is possible your WiFi speed may be limited by the capabilities of the phone's or computer's WiFi hardware. If the client device WiFi hardware is WiFi 6 capable then ensure the router has DFS/160Ghz enabled in the WiFi settings. Typically WiFi tends to be slower (for many reasons) than wired Gigabit Ethernet. Check and post the System Log > Wireless Log page on the router. See what the router indicates for the WiFi device's connection. For example, if it indicates the WiFi connected phone has RX/TX connection of 300/300 Mbps, then the phone will typically be confined or limited to that 300 Mbps speed (or what ever speed the router indicates the device is connected at).

So post a screen shot of that Wireless Log page for others to see what you are seeing for what is being reported by the router for WiFi connected devices. Redact sensitive information if needed.

Last edited:
I can get a link speed of 1200 on my AppleTV with 160MHz disabled.

Screenshot 2024-08-14 082619.jpg

OP has changed many of the setting in the wifi professional setting and some will decrease your speed.
Should have left them on defaults except for disable roaming assistant.
Using the 2.5 port for WAN will help get max speed for wireless.
Like what was said, post wireless log so we can see the link speed of the devices.

I have Multi-User MIMO and OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO disabled should I be having them enabled???
It may cause issues.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!