What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U Pro - WAN Notice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chrisrossetti

New Around Here
I have a 100/100 mbsp ISP. I recently purchased RT-AX86U Pro. Since installing, upload/download speeds for wireless & wired connections won't exceed 10 mbsp. Router's is connected directly into the optical network terminal's (ONT) via cat. If, I disconnect the router and directly connect laptop to the ONT is see upload/download speeds that avg >95 mbps so I've eliminated my ISP, the ONT or the cable as the issue.

ASUS support has been less then helpful thus far.

What would cause WAN speed of the router to only be 10 mbps? There appears to be a bottleneck at the router but I don't know where. Are there settings I can change that would get me closer to the 100 mbps speed? Tech specs for the RT-AX86U are below and show as being more than capable of handling 100 mbsp speeds. Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tech Specs for RT-AX86U:
RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT for WAN x 1
RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT for LAN x 4
Five (5) 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet ports + one (1)
2.5G/1Gbps multi-Gig port (configurable)
-- LAN: 4xGbE (2x port aggregation LAN)
-- WAN: 1 GbE
-- WAN/LAN: 2.5G/1Gbps multi-Gig port (configurable)
-- Multi-Gig: Ability to aggregate two Gigabit LAN ports and two Gigabit WAN ports (configurable) concurrently.
USB 3.2 Gen 1 x 2

Attachments

• ports.png
    ports.png
    10 KB · Views: 4
Could be bad cable in the WAN port, or a bad port. I had to RMA an AX88U Pro due to a bad WAN port with similar symptoms (after confirming cable and modem port still could work at 2.5Gb with another port).

Try setting the 2.5G LAN port as WAN under Dual WAN.

I recently purchased RT-AX86U Pro.
Was the router purchased new or used? If used it may be defective.
What firmware is the router running?
Have you tried a hard factory reset and manual configuration (do not import a previously saved router.cfg file)?
Is the router Operation Mode configured for Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default) or some other mode?
Have you inspected the WAN/LAN ports on the router for bent or missing wire pin/connectors or if the connectors are filled with crud/dirt?
Are you using a network switch or any other connector/adapter/extender between the router and the computer's Ethernet port?

As already suggested:
Have you tried a different Ethernet cable, one that is Cat5E or better?
Have you tried connecting the ONT to the 2.5 GB Port on the RT-AX86U Pro and changing the Primary WAN to the 2.5G WAN?

Could be bad cable in the WAN port, or a bad port. I had to RMA an AX88U Pro due to a bad WAN port with similar symptoms (after confirming cable and modem port still could work at 2.5Gb with another port).

Try setting the 2.5G LAN port as WAN under Dual WAN.
@dave14305 after enabling dual WAN and setting the 2.5G LAN as WAN, I'm now seeing speeds closer to 100 mbps. Perhaps the primary port is bad. Thanks,

Was the router purchased new or used? If used it may be defective.
What firmware is the router running?
Have you tried a hard factory reset and manual configuration (do not import a previously saved router.cfg file)?
Is the router Operation Mode configured for Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default) or some other mode?
Have you inspected the WAN/LAN ports on the router for bent or missing wire pin/connectors or if the connectors are filled with crud/dirt?
Are you using a network switch or any other connector/adapter/extender between the router and the computer's Ethernet port?

As already suggested:
Have you tried a different Ethernet cable, one that is Cat5E or better?
Have you tried connecting the ONT to the 2.5 GB Port on the RT-AX86U Pro and changing the Primary WAN to the 2.5G WAN?
@bennor I've connected the ONT to the 2.5 GB Port on the RT-AX86U Pro and changed the Primary WAN to the 2.5G WAN. I'm now seeing speeds closer to 100 mbps.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!