What's new

ASUS RT-N66U 5GHz link speed problem.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

grimreaper1014

New Around Here
Hi guys,

I have been experimenting and trying to improve the wireless in my house. I have two wireless routers. One is the RT-N66U and the other is a Netear R6300v2. I been using my google Nexus 5 as the test client for both devices. There is a lot of 2.4Ghz wireless devices in my area so I been focusing on 5GHz testing as there are no other 5Ghz networks.

With my R6300v2 I am able to achieve 5GHz link speeds to my Nexus 5 of around 400Mbps. However, when I disconnect the R6300v2 and try the RT-N66U regardless of firmware I am only getting a 5Ghz link speed of like 144Mbps. I have tried Tomato, Rmerlin builds, DD-WRT, and now stock ASUS firmware on it and it will not connect any faster.

I have Comcast 100Mbps/12Mbps internet and with a link speed of 144Mbps I am only getting like 20Mb/12Mb - 40Mb/12Mb on speed tests. I think something is up with the RT-N66U because regardless of distance it will not connect over 144Mbps on 5Ghz. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Rocky

The Netgear router is a AC router the N66U is a N router is your Nexus 5 Ac ready? If so that will explain the speed differences. In general phones and tablets are not the best devices for testing accurate speed rates. Also verify if your 5GHz band on the N66 is set to 40mhz

Last edited by a moderator: