What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my n66u in today and upgrading from a wrt54g. These are the speeds I am getting on Cox Communications with the .096 firmware. I did use WiFi analyzer from my phone to find the best signal strength on wireless.

The faster speed one is a wired connection. Slower speed is Dell's b uilt in wireless on a 4 year old Precision Workstation laptop.

With the WRT54g, I was getting max of 30mbps downstream, about the same upstream.

So what speed did you paid for?

Bad news:

"Hi Hugo,

I found out that the 106 build will only fix an issue where some people updating from 84 were not able to update to 102, so if you’re already using 102 then 106 won’t have anything new. We’re compiling more feedback about other fixes/features that users want to see so I’ll include your feedback in that as well.

Best,
Mason"

Quasi review of the "Dark Knight"

Hi guys, I have been a long time reader of the site, and wanted to throw my two cents into the mix regarding this powerhouse router.

My previous routers were a Linksys E4200 and a E4200v2. I wanted the end-all-be-all of routers and was told about the N66U. I found one on sale for $179.99 here in canada and immediately picked one up. I configured it with basic settings running .90 firmware (I now am running .102)

I use a 50Mbit/2Mbit connection at home, and have 2 PCs (1 wifi, 1 ethernet), 3 Laptops (all wifi), 1 iPad, PS3, Xbox360, AV receiver and Smart TV all running off my home network. I keep my router in the basement in my media room where all my cable, satellite and phone connections are. I also have a 1400 sq foot house and let me tell you, from the routers position, I get coverage in every nook and cranny of this place. I find the ASUS gets full reception in all rooms, whereas the E4200 would get at the most 4 bars in at the farthest office, and oddly the E4200v2 got 3 bars. In fact I stay connected at 150mbps on the farthest PC from the router.

I have not had a hiccup streaming anything to and from any PC so far, nor have I had an issue with the media server via a connected USB drive.

I definitely prefer this router over the E4200 and 4200v2 (actually I prefer the original 4200 over the V2 for connection reasons. At my furthest PC I consistently get this speed test through my wifi connection on the N66U...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1818278650.png

I was getting about 40 down with my E4200 and no more than 32 down through my E4200v2.

So in conclusion, I 100% endorse this router and anyone would be happy to own one. Also please dont pick this review apart. I dont review things very often, nor am I super tech when it comes to power levels, VPN, etc. Just want you all to know that on the basic levels that I at least use it for, I love this router!

Take care guys!

Bad news:

"Hi Hugo,

I found out that the 106 build will only fix an issue where some people updating from 84 were not able to update to 102, so if you’re already using 102 then 106 won’t have anything new. We’re compiling more feedback about other fixes/features that users want to see so I’ll include your feedback in that as well.

Best,
Mason"

What did you expect? Not surprised at all...

I was not expecting nothing apart from resolving the existent issues, but i hope things could change in a near future.

Hi guys, I have been a long time reader of the site, and wanted to throw my two cents into the mix regarding this powerhouse router.

My previous routers were a Linksys E4200 and a E4200v2. I wanted the end-all-be-all of routers and was told about the N66U. I found one on sale for $179.99 here in canada and immediately picked one up. I configured it with basic settings running .90 firmware (I now am running .102)

I use a 50Mbit/2Mbit connection at home, and have 2 PCs (1 wifi, 1 ethernet), 3 Laptops (all wifi), 1 iPad, PS3, Xbox360, AV receiver and Smart TV all running off my home network. I keep my router in the basement in my media room where all my cable, satellite and phone connections are. I also have a 1400 sq foot house and let me tell you, from the routers position, I get coverage in every nook and cranny of this place. I find the ASUS gets full reception in all rooms, whereas the E4200 would get at the most 4 bars in at the farthest office, and oddly the E4200v2 got 3 bars. In fact I stay connected at 150mbps on the farthest PC from the router.

I have not had a hiccup streaming anything to and from any PC so far, nor have I had an issue with the media server via a connected USB drive.

I definitely prefer this router over the E4200 and 4200v2 (actually I prefer the original 4200 over the V2 for connection reasons. At my furthest PC I consistently get this speed test through my wifi connection on the N66U...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1818278650.png

I was getting about 40 down with my E4200 and no more than 32 down through my E4200v2.

So in conclusion, I 100% endorse this router and anyone would be happy to own one. Also please dont pick this review apart. I dont review things very often, nor am I super tech when it comes to power levels, VPN, etc. Just want you all to know that on the basic levels that I at least use it for, I love this router!

Take care guys!

@harris613

What not use both the N66U and the V1/V2 ?

For maximum speed/coverage throughout your place and since you already own all those excellent routers ( for me the V2 has proven to be extremely stable)--you may want to try operating the N66U as your main router connected to your cable modem and then connect the V1/V2 at the furthest or opposite end of your place. Its not only easy to do but a lot of fun as well once you realize you are not only getting five bars but also maximum throughput in every room+

You'll need to connect the second router to the N66U via an Ethernet cable connection--If you don't have an Ethernet cable connection already installed in the area of the second router you can use a very simple power line network adapter and connect with that ( This is the method I am using) http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=1194444.

Here are more detailed instructions:
http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.a...&pid=80&respid=0&snid=1&dispid=0&cpage=search

I chose the #2 Lan to Wan approach because I wanted to maintain separate configurable networks where the #1 Lan to Lan approach results in one seamless network if that is your preference. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
guys, if you are having any issues, please give tomato a whirl. if for some reason you don't like it, you can always go back!

http://www.4shared.com/get/9MnIK8D3/tomato-K26USB-12804961MIPSR2-T.html

I gave it chance last night since I was having issues w/ .102 where after 36 hrs the router would drop all wifi connections and only way to get wifi back up is to reboot it. This happened twice so I loaded toastman on and so far its working well but I did notice range is little shorter than .102

@harris613

What not use both the N66U and the V1/V2 ?

For maximum speed/coverage throughout your place and since you already own all those excellent routers ( for me the V2 has proven to be extremely stable)--you may want to try operating the N66U as your main router connected to your cable modem and then connect the V1/V2 at the furthest or opposite end of your place. Its not only easy to do but a lot of fun as well once you realize you are not only getting five bars but also maximum throughput in every room+

You'll need to connect the second router to the N66U via an Ethernet cable connection--If you don't have an Ethernet cable connection already installed in the area of the second router you can use a very simple power line network adapter and connect with that ( This is the method I am using) http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=1194444.

Here are more detailed instructions:
http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.a...&pid=80&respid=0&snid=1&dispid=0&cpage=search

I chose the #2 Lan to Wan approach because I wanted to maintain separate configurable networks where the #1 Lan to Lan approach results in one seamless network if that is your preference. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Nice article with well-written clear instructions, thanks for linking to it.
I have seen this documented on a variety of sites (including here) but this is very good too.

If I did not already have enough wifi performance as it is, I certainly would take a shot. :)

The one downside is that it is a wired approach.
If you already have CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet cable hidden behind the walls going from location A to location B, it will be a non-issue since the look will be neat (as opposed to having the connecting etheret cable run inside the rooms themselves and through the hallway etc.).

Nice article with well-written clear instructions, thanks for linking to it.
I have seen this documented on a variety of sites (including here) but this is very good too.

If I did not already have enough wifi performance as it is, I certainly would take a shot. :)

The one downside is that it is a wired approach.
If you already have CAT5 or CAT6 ethernet cable hidden behind the walls going from location A to location B, it will be a non-issue since the look will be neat (as opposed to having the connecting etheret cable run inside the rooms themselves and through the hallway etc.).

Agree--no in-wall cat5/6 cabling can be awkward--however the powerline network adapter makes all the difference in my recommendation for those that don't have Cat5/6 already installed in the walls. Nice and clean--just plug it into a nearby electric wall outlet and poof like magic instant Ethernet like connection over your electrical wiring. These powerline adapters are amazingly fast... SNB has posted as usual excellent reviews on these crazy devices...this is the one that I happen to be using: Western Digital WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit (With speed up to 200 megabits per second)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VWY0VY/?tag=snbforums-20

Last edited:
I gave it chance last night since I was having issues w/ .102 where after 36 hrs the router would drop all wifi connections and only way to get wifi back up is to reboot it. This happened twice so I loaded toastman on and so far its working well but I did notice range is little shorter than .102

Thanks for posting your experience with toastman--I might get the confidence some day to do the same particularly since it seems easy enough to roll-back to stock( or so I have heard). Maybe just for the fun of trying it.

I've now read a couple of comments about performance hits due to toastman/tomato --so not sure that's something I would want to give up.

Agree--no in-wall cat5/6 cabling can be awkward--however the powerline network adapter makes all the difference in my recommendation for those that don't have Cat5/6 already installed in the walls. Nice and clean--just plug it into a nearby electric wall outlet and poof like magic instant Ethernet like connection over your electrical wiring. These powerline adapters are amazingly fast... SNB has posted as usual excellent reviews on these crazy devices...this is the one that I happen to be using: Western Digital WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit (With speed up to 200 megabits per second)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VWY0VY/?tag=snbforums-20

I have to disagree with you on powerline. Most of them if not all are useless. Yes they do provide with with a wired connection but boy the speed is SLOW way diff than all advertised. Yes I have anew house, yes same circuit etc etc...Still slow.

I have to disagree with you on powerline. Most of them if not all are useless. Yes they do provide with with a wired connection but boy the speed is SLOW way diff than all advertised. Yes I have anew house, yes same circuit etc etc...Still slow.

No worries. I've enjoyed excellent performance. But like you said advertised vs actual varies greatly on the product--see SNB reviews. Advertised speeds are more theoretical ( so maybe I shouldn't have posted the advertised "up to 200 Mbps." as that is misleading. But for the most part I have no speed issues to complain about at all with the one I am using. But--no way would I call this technology "useless' quite the opposite actually IMO. I highly recommend for those that need it as an alternative to in-wall cat5/6.

SNB real-world tested average speeds http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/powerline-charts/view
SNB real-world tested Maximum speeds http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/powerline-charts/view

Last edited:
No worries. I've enjoyed excellent performance. But like you said advertised vs actual varies greatly on the product--see SNB reviews. Advertised speeds are more theoretical. But for the most part I have no speed issues to complain about at all with the one I am using. But--no way would I call this technology "useless' quite the opposite actually...

I have 4 of these powerline adapters. If you are using more than 2, the bandwidth is cut in half because it is on a shared bus.

I have 4 of these powerline adapters. If you are using more than 2, the bandwidth is cut in half because it is on a shared bus.

Good to know. I've only got the pair. But with the the additional ports on the WD devices I've got plenty to work with.

My service is a 28meg service. Their site states "Powerboost downstream up to 35mbps" but I don't know what Powerboost is.

Either way, I'm getting a hell of a lot more than they advertise.

So what speed did you paid for?

Last edited:
No worries. I've enjoyed excellent performance. But like you said advertised vs actual varies greatly on the product--see SNB reviews. Advertised speeds are more theoretical ( so maybe I shouldn't have posted the advertised "up to 200 Mbps." as that is misleading. But for the most part I have no speed issues to complain about at all with the one I am using. But--no way would I call this technology "useless' quite the opposite actually IMO. I highly recommend for those that need it as an alternative to in-wall cat5/6.

SNB real-world tested average speeds http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/powerline-charts/view
SNB real-world tested Maximum speeds http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/powerline-charts/view

Thanks. I clicked on that chart you gave me, funny mine is the 3rd one (Zyxel 500 Mbps Powerline Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Kit (PLA4205kit)) it should fly! However is close to junk. Very happy I only paid like 70 for the kit. I don't believe squad from that chart.

My service is a 28meg service. Their site states "Powerboost downstream up to 35mbps" but I don't know what Powerboost is.

Either way, I'm getting a hell of a lot more than they advertise.

To see the true provisioned rates you are receiving from your ISP run ShaperProbe.

Upstream: No shaper detected.
Median received rate: 5376 Kbps.
Downstream: Burst size: 11502-11803 KB;
Shaping rate: 30277 Kbps.

My ISP says I have 27.5/4 and shaperprobe shows 29.5/5 so I am happy.

Thanks. I clicked on that chart you gave me, funny mine is the 3rd one (Zyxel 500 Mbps Powerline Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Kit (PLA4205kit)) it should fly! However is close to junk. Very happy I only paid like 70 for the kit. I don't believe squad from that chart.

Who knows perhaps you got a dud....did you check to see if you have a re-set button on your Zyxel? I ask because I hosed the connection between my WD pair one time while trying to mistakenly introduce a third ( non home-plug netgear adapter) causing the connection to come to a crawl. Once I unplugged/plugged the pair and re-set both devices all was back to normal.

I don't know much about electrical wiring ..but I read somewhere that the best connections speeds will occur on an electrical wire that shares the same circuit between the powerline adapters. E.g., if not then the signal has to travel to and fro between various circuits in your house/flat slowing down as it does. So for you maybe try experimenting with different wall plugs in the hopes you'll get the one that shares the same circuit ??

Thanks to all of you for your responses/comments when I asked if you would purchase the 66U again. I have been running the N56U connected to my cable modem as the primary wireless router with the e4200 V2 in a "LAN to WAN" AP "like" mode ( I maintain two separate networks) for whole home high-speed coverage. My initial thought is to replace the 56U with the 66U and continue to use with the e4200 V2.

I received the 66U yesterday as expected and had it up and running in a few minutes. Basic dual-band setup w/ v. 3.1.0.3.90 was surprisingly easy/quick--no issues. After setup I upgraded to v. 3.0.0.3.96 (I noticed the Check version button doesn't seem to be working on my Asus web interface software)

My initial interest was to compare basic capabilities of the 66U with the e4200 V2 since I found the V2 to provide better coverage in my home environment over the 56U. Its still too early to tell and I need to tinker a bit more with the 66U settings but I noticed two performance questions with the 66U.

First, the 66U like the 56U leaves me with a wireless dead-zone in the room located furthest from the 66U--where the V2 was able to provide usable 2.4 ( albeit low) wireless coverage in that area when setup similar to the 66U. I tried adjusting the 66U antennas as well as increasing the 66U 2.4ghz Tx from 40 mW to 100, neither made any difference.

Secondly, I've noticed that the wireless signal from the 66U doesn't seem to automatically connect as quickly to my iMac wireless card (Atheros 9280) as the 56U or the V2 does. Sometimes the 66U wireless signal doesn't connect automatically with my iMac at all and I have to connect it manually on both 2.4/5 Ghz bands. Interestingly, I get a better RSSI from the 66U to the iMac but the transmit rate is lower coming from the 66U than from the V2 in a similar setup/location.

I am currently operating my home network with the 66U as the main router and the e4200 V2 in Lan to Wan AP like mode and will have some more time today to continue to explore.

I should also mention that I was playing around with my Trendnet TEW-684UB 450Mbps Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter connected to an old XP laptop and noted some crazy fast burst speeds in close proximity to the 66U on the 5Ghz band set to wide channel :cool:

"Interestingly, I get a better RSSI from the 66U to the iMac but the transmit rate is lower coming from the 66U than from the V2 in a similar setup/location."

Last night I moved my iMac ever so slightly over to the left on my desk about 1.5" and now the 5Ghz signal from the N66U is connecting very nicely to the iMac at RSSI -65/-64 with a steady transmit rate of 300. ( iMac is located 20' away one floor down from the (N66U). I was getting the steady 300 transmit rate with the V2, but an RSSI in the low 70's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.