What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Dark Knight Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I'm planning to buy ASUS RT-N66U this month and have a few questions:
1. What is the max. hdd size (and partition size) that you can connect through USB port?
2. What is the maximum filesize that router can read/write on hdd?
3. What transfer rate (read/write) can I expect for USB hdd -> LAN file transfers (wired & wireless)?
4. I read that power adapter works on 19V and max. power is 1.58A..that is 30W per hour. So what is the actual measured power consumption of router?

Can only answer #4, its about 8-9watts. That's how much the load increased on my UPS.

In Stock

FYI as of 11:30 PM MST the RT-N66U is in stock at Superbiiz for $170 with free shipping and coupon code "BRACKET". Taken from Techbargains so it may not last very long.

Hello!

I'm planning to buy ASUS RT-N66U this month and have a few questions:
1. What is the max. hdd size (and partition size) that you can connect through USB port?
2. What is the maximum filesize that router can read/write on hdd?
3. What transfer rate (read/write) can I expect for USB hdd -> LAN file transfers (wired & wireless)?
4. I read that power adapter works on 19V and max. power is 1.58A..that is 30W per hour. So what is the actual measured power consumption of router?

1. 3TB HDD installed here, working fine.
2. It depends on the filesystem, ext3,ext4 or ntfs.
3. 15-18mb/s (wired), wireless it depends the speed you are connected.
4. Measured with a machine. 8-9W ~ Idle. CPU Full 10-11W.

I really dont consider it so "low power consumption" a ATOM system does the same and it has alot more powerhorse.

Last edited:
1. 3TB HDD installed here, working fine.
2. It depends on the filesystem, ext3,ext4 or ntfs.
3. 15-18mb/s (wired), wireless it depends the speed you are connected.
4. Measured with a machine. 8-9W ~ Idle. CPU Full 10-11W.

I really dont consider it so "low power consumption" a ATOM system does the same and it has alot more powerhorse.

Great, thanks hggomes! I was asking about max. hhd & filesize becouse of that spreadsheet http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/disksupport/

RT-N56U supports max. 2TB hdd and 8GB filesize, but unfortunately RT-N66U is not listed there.

Can you read/write a file bigger than 8GB on a hdd (ntfs) connected to RT-N66U?

I'm looking for 106 on the Asus page ( I believe one of the comments on this forum from a Asus rep said to expect 106 today, Thursday). Anybody notice what time of day Asus normally posts their firmware updates?

Also anybody ever successfully downloaded and applied an N66U firmware update using Mac OS X Lion yet?

Last edited:
If you read on this forum .106 is a minor update, nothing will change from .102 to .106, unless a problem when updating from .84 to .102.

If you read on this forum .106 is a minor update, nothing will change from .102 to .106, unless a problem when updating from .84 to .102.

Yes. I'm still at .96 --I just got my N66U this week and they had already pulled .102 before I got a chance to download it from the Asus site.

BTW: Here's the ironic error msg I get when I use the Check firmware version button on .96. Is this the same for everyone?
"No Internet connection is detected. The router cannot connect to ASUS server to check for the firmware update. After reconnecting to the Internet, go back to this page and click Check to check for the latest firmware updates."

Last edited:
Great, thanks hggomes! I was asking about max. hhd & filesize becouse of that spreadsheet http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/disksupport/

RT-N56U supports max. 2TB hdd and 8GB filesize, but unfortunately RT-N66U is not listed there.

Can you read/write a file bigger than 8GB on a hdd (ntfs) connected to RT-N66U?

I'm not sure if tomato and asus fw have the same hdd capilities, im on tomato and using ext3 fs, i don't use NTFS so i don't really know, but its easy, if you connect a hdd with ntfs fs and copy a > 8gb files you will know the answer...

I think 8GB its enough anyway, you have .rar to avoid those problems :)

I'm looking for 106 on the Asus page ( I believe one of the comments on this forum from a Asus rep said to expect 106 today, Thursday). Anybody notice what time of day Asus normally posts their firmware updates?

Also anybody ever successfully downloaded and applied an N66U firmware update using Mac OS X Lion yet?

Yes, I have downloaded and applied with Mac OS X Lion, and with Boot Camp. Both worked well.

Hi
I have found ftp ist not working for port forwarding

i set ftp and he has set 2021 this is not ok, i set 20:21 ist ok

I just got an email from newegg that the RT-N66U is in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.