What's new

ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.376.1071

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have a similar router placement issue, except mine is behind the TV in the lounge, due to where the ISP installed their modem.

I may install a shelf above the tv or get a tv stand where the tv sits inside and has an upper shelf. The higher the router the better as well.

Since upgrading my router, I realized that my upload is about the same as my download, which is definitely not right. It makes the same error in the realtime graph.

Code:
Date	Reception	Transmission	Total
2014-07-04	11.13 GB	10.73 GB	21.86 GB
2014-07-03	3.48 GB	3.16 GB	6.65 GB
2014-07-02	4.20 GB	4.05 GB	8.25 GB
2014-07-01	4.74 GB	4.52 GB	9.26 GB

My real upload is probably the difference between the reception and transmission. Has anyone encountered this bug?

I guess I'm not the only one...
http://nerdanswer.com/answer.php?q=618042

Last edited:
Since upgrading my router, I realized that my upload is about the same as my download, which is definitely not right. It makes the same error in the realtime graph.

Code:
Date	Reception	Transmission	Total
2014-07-04	11.13 GB	10.73 GB	21.86 GB
2014-07-03	3.48 GB	3.16 GB	6.65 GB
2014-07-02	4.20 GB	4.05 GB	8.25 GB
2014-07-01	4.74 GB	4.52 GB	9.26 GB

My real upload is probably the difference between the reception and transmission. Has anyone encountered this bug?

I guess I'm not the only one...
http://nerdanswer.com/answer.php?q=618042
Be carefull with different units, a "GB" indication is not complete, formal units and multipliers are:
  • Mbps = Mega bits per second
  • KB/s = Kilo Bytes per second
  • Lower case b = bits
  • Upper case B = Bytes
  • Upper case K = 2^10 = 1024
  • Lower case k would be 1000 (not used for digital data)
  • Upper case M = Mega (also for digital data 1000 * 1000, not 2^10 * 2^10)
  • Lower case m would be milli = 1/1000 (should not be used for digital data)
  • 1 B = 8 b
  • 1 KB = 1024 b

I used an Internet speed test and found the following numbers:

speedtest.net:
Download speed: 35.53 Mbps = 4441.25 KB/s
Upload speed: 3.30 Mbps = 412.5 KB/s

RT-N66U Traffic Monitor Internet speed:
Maximum incoming Internet packets: 4613.11 KB/s = 36.90 Mbps
Maximum outgoing Internet packages: 456.26 KB/s = 3.65 Mbps

The test was done with a client connected at 5 GHz, numbers for Wireless (5 GHz) are very close to what is shown for Internet speed.
The numbers found by speedtest.net perfectly match with our contract.
The numbers of the Traffic Monitor are close to the results of speedtest.net.
It seems to be ok here.

Last edited:
Be carefull with different units, a "GB" indication is not complete, formal units and multipliers are:
  • Mbps = Mega bits per second
  • KB/s = Kilo Bytes per second
  • Lower case b = bits
  • Upper case B = Bytes
  • Upper case K = 2^10 = 1024
  • Lower case k would be 1000 (not used for digital data)
  • Upper case M = Mega (also for digital data 1000 * 1000, not 2^10 * 2^10)
  • Lower case m would be milli = 1/1000 (should not be used for digital data)
  • 1 B = 8 b
  • 1 KB = 1024 b

I used an Internet speed test and found the following numbers:

speedtest.net:
Download speed: 35.53 Mbps = 4441.25 KB/s
Upload speed: 3.30 Mbps = 412.5 KB/s

RT-N66U Traffic Monitor Internet speed:
Maximum incoming Internet packets: 4613.11 KB/s = 36.90 Mbps
Maximum outgoing Internet packages: 456.26 KB/s = 3.65 Mbps

The test was done with a client connected at 5 GHz, numbers for Wireless (5 GHz) are very close to what is shown for Internet speed.
The numbers found by speedtest.net perfectly match with our contract.
The numbers of the Traffic Monitor are close to the results of speedtest.net.
It seems to be ok here.

I should have been more clear. I was talking about how much I'm uploading, not how fast.

I should have been more clear. I was talking about how much I'm uploading, not how fast.
Sorry for the confusion, here is the daily overview for Transmission and Reception numbers of my router:

Date - Reception - Transmission - Total
2014-07-05 - 0.40 GB - 0.05 GB - 0.45 GB
2014-07-04 - 0.82 GB - 0.12 GB - 0.94 GB
2014-07-03 - 2.64 GB - 0.14 GB - 2.77 GB

That looks pretty good.
The Traffic Monitor here shows what I expect for incoming and outgoing data, QoS is disabled.
Did you enable QoS and if so, what are your settings?

Last edited:
I like the new TX power adjustment. No more MW setting just 100% or lower.

I am not a fan of the new setting. It max's the output at 80mw. I typically run hotter than that. It is the difference of getting coverage in my back room or not. 160mw is 3dB more

Sorry for the confusion, here is the daily overview for Transmission and Reception numbers of my router:

Date - Reception - Transmission - Total
2014-07-05 - 0.40 GB - 0.05 GB - 0.45 GB
2014-07-04 - 0.82 GB - 0.12 GB - 0.94 GB
2014-07-03 - 2.64 GB - 0.14 GB - 2.77 GB

That looks pretty good.
The Traffic Monitor here shows what I expect for incoming and outgoing data, QoS is disabled.
Did you enable QoS and if so, what are your settings?

Thanks. I had to downgrade the firmware, but at least it's fixed now. Hopefully Asus fixes it in the future because my ISP has a bandwidth cap.

I played with it with all firmwares. I went from 80 up to 140 and didn't see any difference. I just wonder why they say the FCC limits the mW but the the Netgear EX6200 has 700 mW. Makes no sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No. And expect this to become the norm in the future for other routers as well.

Thanks to the FCC, Asus will be forced to actually encrypt part of the wireless code to prevent end-user tampering. This is actually a REQURIEMENT from the FCC now. Manufacturers are required to ensure that end-users cannot change wireless behaviour or their regulation region through software modifications.

Hi

I'm not sure I completely understand this. I've purchased an Asus router in Singapore, and my ISP also issued another Asus router.

Both come with US wireless (nvram, and possibly CFE too) settings out of the box if I remember correctly.

Are you saying I am stuck with US settings for future firmwares?

Client & external disk statuses bugs?

As Wouterv mentioned before, the client status is really wacky and I can't mount any USB drive on the USB port of the router. It gets recognized on the GUI (by looking at the system log) but it's not being mounted. I have tried different USB drives already and nothing so far. It used to work before updating the FW to this latest one.
Any tips on what else I can do/ check?
By the way, just wanted to give thanks to the developer of Asuswrt-Merlin.
:)

Hi

I'm not sure I completely understand this. I've purchased an Asus router in Singapore, and my ISP also issued another Asus router.

Both come with US wireless (nvram, and possibly CFE too) settings out of the box if I remember correctly.

Are you saying I am stuck with US settings for future firmwares?

I agree that it's quite a mess. The FCC requests manufacturers to ensure that customers cannot easily bypass US limitations by flashing an international firmware. I suspect that manufacturers might need some time to fully adjust to this. They will have to strike a balance, because to fully achieve what the FCC is asking would require manufacturers to start using signed kernels, and preventing a bootloader from accepting a non-signed kernel (or one signed for a different region). Let's pray it never gets to that...

I know that Asus hasn't fully implemented their own solution yet. Part of the final solution they are currently looking at will involve encryption of part of the wireless code. Ugh. :/

Also, I have a feeling that 376_1071 is an "interim release". Even the latest non-released code I've been working with talks about a "Phase 1.5" of Asuswrt, which will eventually lead to what Asus has referred as being "Asuswrt 2.0" on some of their blog posts. So for now let's not panic too much, I suspect that things might change some more in the coming week/months. It's possible they will come up with a more flexible solution to accommodate everyone.

Does the FCC change mean we'll eventually see different region releases of Merlin firmware?

Does the FCC change mean we'll eventually see different region releases of Merlin firmware?

No. Knowing Asus, they will probably have the firmware directly access the bootloader to determine which region it's in, and manage wifi based on this. I suspect this is that particular bit of code that they might encrypt, but that's just my opinion. All I know for a fact is they intend to encrypt part of the wifi configuration code.

I agree that it's quite a mess. The FCC requests manufacturers to ensure that customers cannot easily bypass US limitations by flashing an international firmware. I suspect that manufacturers might need some time to fully adjust to this. They will have to strike a balance, because to fully achieve what the FCC is asking would require manufacturers to start using signed kernels, and preventing a bootloader from accepting a non-signed kernel (or one signed for a different region). Let's pray it never gets to that...

I know that Asus hasn't fully implemented their own solution yet. Part of the final solution they are currently looking at will involve encryption of part of the wireless code. Ugh. :/

Also, I have a feeling that 376_1071 is an "interim release". Even the latest non-released code I've been working with talks about a "Phase 1.5" of Asuswrt, which will eventually lead to what Asus has referred as being "Asuswrt 2.0" on some of their blog posts. So for now let's not panic too much, I suspect that things might change some more in the coming week/months. It's possible they will come up with a more flexible solution to accommodate everyone.

yeah, this doesn't look good. I had a look at the CFE backups.

AC66U. Router is distributed by official Asus distributor in Singapore. Not good...
regulation_domain=US
regulation_domain_5G=US

AC56S. Issued by Singapore ISP. Looks ok.
0:ccode=SG
1:ccode=SG

As Wouterv mentioned before, the client status is really wacky and I can't mount any USB drive on the USB port of the router. It gets recognized on the GUI (by looking at the system log) but it's not being mounted. I have tried different USB drives already and nothing so far. It used to work before updating the FW to this latest one.
Any tips on what else I can do/ check?
By the way, just wanted to give thanks to the developer of Asuswrt-Merlin.
:)

The USB not mounting is a newly introduced bug. I ended up plugging in to the other USB port and then power-cycling a couple times to get it to work.

yeah, this doesn't look good. I had a look at the CFE backups.

AC66U. Router is distributed by official Asus distributor in Singapore. Not good...
regulation_domain=US
regulation_domain_5G=US

AC56S. Issued by Singapore ISP. Looks ok.
0:ccode=SG
1:ccode=SG

This doesn't seem normal to me. Is it possible that this distributor is reselling a batch that was only intended for the North American market, but for some reason (pricing or availability) they are selling them locally?

Have you done a factory default reset just in case your CFE might have the correct SG values, but nvram was somehow configured to US values?

This doesn't seem normal to me. Is it possible that this distributor is reselling a batch that was only intended for the North American market, but for some reason (pricing or availability) they are selling them locally?

Have you done a factory default reset just in case your CFE might have the correct SG values, but nvram was somehow configured to US values?

Hi Merlin,

those were from the CFE backups opened in Wordpad. Got the CFE backups using the instructions from CFE bootloader update thread.

cat /dev/mtd0 > ./cfe.original

Dear KevTech

the Asus changes or upcoming changes apply across the board for regional settings.

Parental controls

I recently upgraded the firmware to 3.0.0.4.376_1071. Now the parental controls do not work. When I click on enable parental control, a table row that says system time displays, but that's it -- no save or apply or any of the other configuration items I expected. Any ideas?

ssUUr9n.jpg

Thanks,
Brian