What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - my review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, another unfortunate soul on the Amazon waiting list. I've also been waiting, almost a month now, nearing the end of the "estimated delivery date" window.

I'm wondering when Amazon is going to get more of these, it's kind of boring just waiting *smile*.

Amazon says "temporarily out of stock", Newegg says "scheduled for release on 2-16".

Sam

Amazon says "temporarily out of stock", Newegg says "scheduled for release on 2-16".

Sam
Yea but Amazon has free 2 day shipping (because I'm a student) and a much better (no restocking fee) return policy than newegg.

I have a felling Amazon will get it around the same time as Newegg.

Amazon & Order

Ordered mine from Amazon 7 Jan. They were in stock then but reply came that won't be available till Feb. I figure they stopped shipping when first english firmware looked crap. Mine was then shipped 5 Feb and arrived with firmware 3.0.0.3.90 which although not perfect is very usable.

I hope that's 3.1.0.96...but even as such seems like a smallish update considering that the minor revision number is modified.
This is what Asus wrote : firmware update will be available on Monday (Vers. 3.0.0.3.96).

Why Tversity? You can use any of the umpteen DNLA servers out there...the whole purpose though is to NOT have a dedicated PC on.

Agree with you, no PC on! I used Tversity a few years back, it was ok but a lot of tweaks in order for all to work....So no thanks, I want my router to do it all...

Cheers!

Agree with you, no PC on! I used Tversity a few years back, it was ok but a lot of tweaks in order for all to work....So no thanks, I want my router to do it all...

Cheers!

My NAS does DLNA well (ReadyNAS NV) but my company also makes a great little solution called Skifta. It started out as an app for Android (1st DLNA-certified app for Android) and comes with a no-frills backend server DLNA/uPnP server as well.

not so stable.............

oh oh, seems mine likes rebooting for no reason. Its now happened twice, looking at the logs gives no clues. hopefully was just a fluke or something.
Anyone else getting weird reboots?

oh oh, seems mine likes rebooting for no reason. Its now happened twice, looking at the logs gives no clues. hopefully was just a fluke or something.

No reboots here.
I have not needed to reboot mine a single time since getting it 3 1/2 weeks ago (not counting the required reboot for the firmware upgrade the day I installed it).

I have also not had any wireless disconnects in that time and I connect my laptop (primary PC) to the internet via wifi.

I just ordered n66u router and sb6121 cable modem to use with my Comcast high speed service. I also need 8 port Gigabit switch and wireless HD bridge to connect my Sony TV and DISH receiver. Could someone suggest something that will work great with n66u? I was thinking of getting DLink DGS-1008G 8 port switch and TrendNet TEW-680MB bridge but conceded about mixing all these brands. Look forward to reading your feedback.

Last edited:
I just ordered n66u router and sb6121 cable modem to use with my Comcast high speed service. I also need 8 port Gigabit switch and wireless HD bridge to connect my Sony TV and DISH receiver. Could someone suggest something that will work great with n66u? I was thinking of getting DLink DGS-1008G 8 port switch and TrendNet TEW-680MB bridge but conceded about mixing all these brands. Look forward to reading your feedback.

I five D-Link switches (four 5-port and one 8-port). I totally recommend D-Link switches.

No rebooting here. Rock solid product.
Uptime now 13 days and 19 hours since the last reboot I made myself after some settings change.

Total data volume used during this time (upload/download together) is 52,52 GB.
My wife is streaming a lot of movies via the internet.

Dude I'd do a firmware restore (with the most current). If that doesn't fix it. Exchange it for another one.

I use my N66 now with DGS-1008G, all is good!

Status
Not open for further replies.