What's new

ASUS RT-N66U - my review

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,
why you still using stock firmware? As you can see there are a lot of bugs, and you still waiting fixes for it... When new firmware is released, you got new bugs here... And I don't know why?
Why you do not use Tomato firmware? Why the stock firmware is still better than other 3rd party?

Someone mentioned not being able to save increased power settings. I believe it is a bug. If you're cursor is still in the field the save button is unavailable. If you put your cursor into another field on the page you will be able to save a new value in that field.
After upgrading to stock FW 3.0.0.3.96 last night, I noticed that the Save button was quirky when changing wifi power setting. Took 3 clicks for it to take. haven't tried your suggestion. No reboots or lost config settings on my end. Power level at 200 improved range in our large house. Haven't tested anything else yet. Seems rock solid thus far.

Hello,

Upgrading to the new firmware also broke my setup. The router would constantly reboot every few minutes (and drop wired and wireless connections). I wrote to Asus about it. Hopefully they fix this issue soon.

Romain

After reading all these posts, I can only say that a setting in the router (or combination) or corrupt fw (why they didn't provide md5 for this??) causes all these troubles. As you can see some people have issues with the new fw some don't...

Thoughts?

Thanks,
G37x

What'is the latest build of TomatoFirmware?
Is stable?
Problem with this firmware?
Tnk's

The one that I use is Shibby's V083. The most recent one is V084, which someone said it was not good. I've tried Toastman and it was not good for this router.

Just want to update my experience with the .96 firmware. I am not experiencing any issues so far. Uptime is about 4 hours and I have not had any internet disconnects. Power increased to 200mw and it seem to have increased coverage in my house.

Someone mentioned not being able to save increased power settings. I believe it is a bug. If you're cursor is still in the field the save button is unavailable. If you put your cursor into another field on the page you will be able to save a new value in that field.

My teori is that the router resolves your location because you cant set where you are in the router. And the mw strength is regulated by law.
So where do you live ?
I live in Sweden and i cant set my strength over 100mw
Im woundering how tomato/dd-wrt workes with 500mw

Loopback bug

I found a bug! If i try to connect to my ipcam locally with my dns name i other words external ip or loopback the router disconnects all lan wan ports and the led ligths go of and on again and the connection to the lan wan is lost for 2 seconds. So Loopback doesnt work. Anybody else thats got the same problem ?

I found a bug! If i try to connect to my ipcam locally with my dns name i other words external ip or loopback the router disconnects all lan wan ports and the led ligths go of and on again and the connection to the lan wan is lost for 2 seconds. So Loopback doesnt work. Anybody else thats got the same problem ?

Hmm please report that back to Asus....So this is how they fixed NAT L??
Now that you mentioned that yes, yes one of the first things I tried was to point my browser to http:mydomain:port

Last edited:
Ive just reported to Asus

Try going into (LAN) (SWITCH CONTROL) and set (DISABLE H/W ACCELERATOR) to (YES). This is supposed to be a temperary fix, but it works. Hopefully they will really fix it soon.

Hope that works for you...

Thanks...

try again asus

so, did it again this morning, new download from asus site, factory default and after flashing, voila, steady router.................until i tried to transfer a file from my home server to laptop. Router went into seizures and just kept on rebooting on its own since.
Also, upnp not working correctly, i ran windows home server remote access setup on it and it fails, it fails with both .90 and .96. First router i've seen this fail. It sees and recognizes the router, but setting up ports fail.

Last edited:
i also noticed this when using remote access to WHS, this caused router to reboot on its own.

After reading all these posts, I can only say that a setting in the router (or combination) or corrupt fw (why they didn't provide md5 for this??) causes all these troubles. As you can see some people have issues with the new fw some don't...

Just wanted to add that after the upgrade failed (and the router kept rebooting), I did manage to reset it to factory settings and that still didn't help so I am not sure it is just a problem with a setting parameter. Might be a corrupt FW though. Really weird.

Romain

Guys,
why you still using stock firmware? As you can see there are a lot of bugs, and you still waiting fixes for it... When new firmware is released, you got new bugs here... And I don't know why?
Why you do not use Tomato firmware? Why the stock firmware is still better than other 3rd party?

Again, why you still using stock firmware if it haves a lot of bugs here... ?

That is no good! :(

Just out of curiosity, did you try it with a different HDD or no HDD attached to rule out the HDD (not that you should have to remove a HD but just to try to pinpoint the cause)?

Also did you restart everything (PC, router, cable modem) after upgrading to 'clean' everything out and start fresh?
(Either way, it obviously should not have lost its settings as a result of the upgrade).

I am curious who else has tried the new firmware so far.

I've been doing allot of testing with a hard drive attached to the router and have been having tons of issues.

I have not updated to the latest firmware, I'm still on 3.1.0.3.90.

Issues I've been having are.... Download master installation corrupting by itself and requiring a reinstall. Not wanting to reinstall..... I pretty much gave up with download master untill they patch it.

Becides this I've been testing it out as just a network drive....First major issue... After doing multiple file transfers, the router seems to lose connectivity with the hard drive completely. I've also had the GUI lock up and requiring a restart to be able to gain access to it again eventhough the internet seems to keep working fine.

Worst of all... I've had some of the files even disappear off of the HD after one of these lock ups.

Last but not least, I havent been able to get more than 7mb/sec transfer rate over a gigabit network to the hard drive.... that's pretty bad!

So yea so far everything storage related has been VERY buggy for me!

needless to say im gonna be doing some reading up on tomato firmwares.

Do they support DLNA and network drive functionality?

That's pretty much all im interested in becides routing performance.

where can i do some reading on the firmware for this router specifically?

needless to say im gonna be doing some reading up on tomato firmwares.

Do they support DLNA and network drive functionality?

That's pretty much all im interested in becides routing performance.

where can i do some reading on the firmware for this router specifically?

here is the latest talk:

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/toastman-releases-1-28-7493-4-5.36106/page-17

releases page:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html#dir=118604379

latest release:

http://www.4shared.com/get/6_zi38k9/tomato-K26USB-12804952MIPSR2-T.html

Status
Not open for further replies.