What's new

Release ASUS ZenWIFI XT12 Firmware version 3.0.0.6.102_35186 (2024/07/12)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

glenord

Occasional Visitor
3.0.0.6.102_35186
50.09 MB
2024/07/12
[ New features ]
-Kid's Network: Easily create a separate SSID for children's devices. Integrated AdGuard DNS offers advanced protection options, including service and website blocking, query logs, tracker blocking, and ad pop-up Ad blocking. (More details: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1053541)

-VPN Network: Establish a VPN-specific SSID to centralize VPN settings for all connected devices. This feature allows for the importation of profiles from popular VPN services such as Surfshark, NordVPN, and CyberGhost from VPN Fusion.(More details:https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1053542)

-AdGuard: AdGuard offers ad-blocking and privacy protection features. Simply apply it in the router or Smart Home Master profile to filtering out advertising, tracking, and malware domains at the DNS level, preventing your device from loading potentially harmful content. In network level. (More details:https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/faq/1051213)

[ New VPN services in VPN Fusion ]
NordVPN:https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1051215
CyberShost: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1051645

[ Bug Fixes and Enhancements ]
-Stability enhancements.

[ Security update ]
-OpenVPN config security enhancement in cusomization option.
-USN applicationn security improvement for XSS attacks.

Please unzip the firmware file, and then verify the checksum.
SHA256: a4d82126df4acf39a1bc64d93d2e712e54e2dd720391edaffa9200b8e4344342

Hi all.
I have just updated and everything seems to be working fine but I do not know how to add a wired device to an IoT network.
There is no VLAN tab in the settings, only the Guest Network/Smart Home Master.
I have setup a separete SSID for the IoT network but I cannot find an option to add wired devices to it.
Assigning a static IP in the IoT Network range does not seem to work.

Noticed the system log > IPv6 is not showing the hostnames.
Just shows * for all clients.

I can't believe they've actually released it given how long the beta took, and that even more popular models (ax11000) aren't getting one seemingly. Now if only it gets Merlin's treatment...

A lot of issues with this just like all the other 3.0.0.6 releases for the XT12.
Went back to 3.0.0.4 code.

Can you be more specific?

Hostnames do not show on IPv6 log.
All hostnames just show *

Can not select specific channels for wireless.
You can set them to a channel but then they go back to auto.
I set 2.4 band for channel 6 but after apply it goes back to auto.
I set 5 GHz-1 to 48 and 5GHz-2 to 149.
After apply band one stays on 48 but band 2 went back on auto.
Go to band 2 and once again set it to 149.
After apply it stays on 149 but when I go check 5GHz-1 it is back on auto instead of staying on 48 like I set.
No matter what I tried all the bands will not stay set to a specific channel as one or the other will go back to auto.

This firmware feels half-baked.
Here are some issues I have encountered, even after resetting the router a few times:
  • Connecting the node to the main router takes many tries, with the previous firmware it was a seamless procedure.
  • The Guest Network Pro feature is not "Pro" at all, I can create an IoT network and a Guest network but they do not work on the meshed node.
    The client devices can only connect to the main router and, if I force them to connect to the node, they appear offline.
    The menu itself, in the browser interface, still shows as "Guest Network" instead of "Guest Network Pro" as it should be.
  • The Guest and IoT networks work only via WiFi. There should be a VLAN tab in the LAN menu, but it is not there for me, hence I cannot add wired clients to them.

Here are some issues I have encountered, even after resetting the router a few times:
  • Connecting the node to the main router takes many tries, with the previous firmware it was a seamless procedure.
  • The Guest Network Pro feature is not "Pro" at all, I can create an IoT network and a Guest network but they do not work on the meshed node.
    The client devices can only connect to the main router and, if I force them to connect to the node, they appear offline.
    The menu itself, in the browser interface, still shows as "Guest Network" instead of "Guest Network Pro" as it should be.
  • The Guest and IoT networks work only via WiFi. There should be a VLAN tab in the LAN menu, but it is not there for me, hence I cannot add wired clients to them.
Lol, what's the point of having mesh wifi if devices in "Guest Network" can only connect to the main router. i guess I stay away from this update until the Merlin version is released.

I have been in contact with Asus support about the the fact I cannot add devices connected via ethernet cable to the IoT network.
At first they asked me to use the VLAN menu to assign a specific network to a specific port but when I told them there is no VLAN menu, they were a bit confused and asked me for screenshots of that.
After escalating the issue with the product team, the answer is:

"The product team have advised that the IoT network is for WiFi networks only as per the FAQ below, not LAN networks"
https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1053554/

I guess the XT12 is not Pro in the end. No VLAN control, even with AsusWRT 5.

I also had the same problem with the nodes constantly disconnecting over and over (blue light blinking) after installing the latest (3.0.0.6.102_35186) firmware. I tried resetting to factory defaults and adding as a new node but it was still unstable so I have gone back to (3.0.0.4.388_24177) and that seems to be working perfectly fine.

I have only just got the XT12 routers so fairly disappointed that my first experience with them is a dodgy firmware update. Are asus usually good about releasing fixes fairly quickly?

Another question also, is it possible to have a secondary WAN to as as a back up but rather than having this connected to the primary router to have this connected to one of the mesh nodes instead? I know anyone reading this the first thought is why would you want to do that and why don't you just connect it to the primary node. Reason why is because I have the primary router upstairs in my game room and the ISP router is in this room also. I was thinking of getting a cheapo ADSL connection to act as a back up which I would only have downstairs so I wondering if I could connect this to one of the nodes instead.

I don't think it is possible to do this as there doesn't seem to be that much configuration capability of the nodes ones they are added to the AiMesh. Figured I would ask anyway for if there is something I have missed.

I also had the same problem with the nodes constantly disconnecting over and over (blue light blinking) after installing the latest (3.0.0.6.102_35186) firmware. I tried resetting to factory defaults and adding as a new node but it was still unstable so I have gone back to (3.0.0.4.388_24177) and that seems to be working perfectly fine.

I have only just got the XT12 routers so fairly disappointed that my first experience with them is a dodgy firmware update. Are asus usually good about releasing fixes fairly quickly?

Another question also, is it possible to have a secondary WAN to as as a back up but rather than having this connected to the primary router to have this connected to one of the mesh nodes instead? I know anyone reading this the first thought is why would you want to do that and why don't you just connect it to the primary node. Reason why is because I have the primary router upstairs in my game room and the ISP router is in this room also. I was thinking of getting a cheapo ADSL connection to act as a back up which I would only have downstairs so I wondering if I could connect this to one of the nodes instead.

I don't think it is possible to do this as there doesn't seem to be that much configuration capability of the nodes ones they are added to the AiMesh. Figured I would ask anyway for if there is something I have missed.
I would suggest to go back to the previous firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24177. I think was a good version. It seems like firmware breaks and then goes back to normal. Back in the day, the Internet Would just work on routers and modems but now maybe there’s too many options and getting good firmware is difficult.

Last edited:
I would suggest to go back to the previous firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24177. I think was a good version.
Only bug I have seen on that version is the DHCP lease log.
All will say 24 hours (or whatever you set lease time to) and not count down even if you press the refresh button.
The leases are counting down and will expire/renew but the log does not reflect time remaining.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!