What's new

Release ASUS ZenWIFI XT8 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24621

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Been running this version since it was released with no problem except the one I've always had with my XT8. I run it as a single router, and devices like Google Nest Hub and Mini, Lenovo smart clocks, and Amazon Smart Thermostat lose connection and reconnect several times a day. The log messages are all like the following:

Code:
Jun 15 21:05:07 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(645): eth4: Deauth_ind xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0
Jun 15 21:05:13 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(685): eth4: Auth xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Jun 15 21:05:13 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(722): eth4: Assoc xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0), rssi:-37

I've found several threads on this but never a solution, and I've tried many things to fix it over the couple of years I've had these smart devices. I get better performance for these devices using my R6700v3 as bridge for 2.4 GHz and disabling that radio in my XT8, which I've gone back to doing after a spate of noticeable trouble in the last few days.

I have the same experience as you. The XT8 has never given me stable 2.4 GHz experience but I am really happy with the 5 GHz performance and stability.

I have the same experience as you. The XT8 has never given me stable 2.4 GHz experience but I am really happy with the 5 GHz performance and stability.
Yep, the 5 GHz has exceeded expectations. In particular, I use the 5 Ghz-2 in AX-only mode for my file server in another room, and it provides a solid 1 Gbps connection. I typically get 110 MBps file transfers per Windows Explorer, and it's also been great for Kodi, no latency when skipping forward/back or any other anomalies. I just wish I understood how they screwed up 2.4 GHz so badly.

I wanted to update from 42095 to this firmware. I have 2 XT8 in a mesh. When I used the UI I updated the firmware and it updated the node. I then ran it again to update the main router and it just will not update the firmware. It goes through the whole process only to reboot still on 42095. I have tried through the webui via the prompt to update, I have manually updated using the downloaded file. I have also used the mobile app to update. Each time it fails. Nothing in the log shows any errors, just the restart.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get this device to update it's firmware?

It appears I am not alone still running 42095. I had so much hassle prior to returning to this version 3 years ago that I have lived in fear, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Now I have an issue with openVPN server. On the client side I upgraded my android app, and found it would not connect. I was finally able to do so by reducing the app security level. I have not upgraded the WIN 11 app, yet! I assume that at some point one of the XT8 firmware upgrades also upgraded the openVPN server element. So my question is do I upgrade the XT8 firmware or leave at 42095.

It appears I am not alone still running 42095. I had so much hassle prior to returning to this version 3 years ago that I have lived in fear, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Now I have an issue with openVPN server. On the client side I upgraded my android app, and found it would not connect. I was finally able to do so by reducing the app security level. I have not upgraded the WIN 11 app, yet! I assume that at some point one of the XT8 firmware upgrades also upgraded the openVPN server element. So my question is do I upgrade the XT8 firmware or leave at 42095.
I'm facing similar issues/challenges with 48706. I have a rock solid uptime and connectivity stability with 48706, which was never the case with any trailing update. So far any update onwards 48706 results in backhaul connectivity issues and poor performance. Merlin is no option for me since I'm using a wireless backhaul and AIMesch is proprietary code from Asus, so I guess the backhaul issue's will also affect the Merlin firmware.

For me this have been the best firmware for quite some time. Runs stable.
I have 4 units all using wireless backhaul. 2 of them are between two different houses, averaging a RSSI at 78-82 dpi.
Using other firmwares, the two units would drop out and/or fall back to 2.4ghz never reverting back to 5ghz without reboot. With this firmware it runs stable 5ghz.
A few time it fell back to 2.4ghz but reverted to 5ghz with in 5 minutes.

I've also used Merlin's firmware but not with the same success as this firmware.

For me this have been the best firmware for quite some time. Runs stable.
I have 4 units all using wireless backhaul. 2 of them are between two different houses, averaging a RSSI at 78-82 dpi.
Using other firmwares, the two units would drop out and/or fall back to 2.4ghz never reverting back to 5ghz without reboot. With this firmware it runs stable 5ghz.
A few time it fell back to 2.4ghz but reverted to 5ghz with in 5 minutes.

I've also used Merlin's firmware but not with the same success as this firmware.
I agree this update has been rock solid for me since I installed it in April.

I agree this update has been rock solid for me since I installed it in April.
Do you have version 1 or 2 XT8 routers?

Thanks for the quick response. In that case I will try this latest version, because it adds important security fixes.

To add to this. I have this firmware running on both version 1 and 2, in the same mesh network. Both runs amazing, and no problem with the two versions connecting to each other
Could you advise your backhaul connection method i.e. Wired or Wireless please? Just for the data point really.

Just to add to this as well. I'm also currently using both V1 and V2 XT8s with a wireless backhaul with firmware 24621 with no issues. Very stable.

I tried this version for 3 days, but unfortunately my setup ran in to wireless backhaul issues. It keeps reverting back to 2,4GHz and 20mhz bandwidth. I downgraded to version 48706 and everything is rock solid again. I decided that I leave it this way and take the vulnerabilities for granted.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!