What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin 376.44 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Any ideas yet why hard drives which are fine are showing up as corrupted?

RT N66U

I haven't looked into this because, quite frankly, I got tired of trying to track down every single bug present in Asus's code. I can't do the debugging work of an entire team, so I have to chose my battles. This is one I'm not taking simply because I can't reproduce it here, so that makes it too hard for me to track down. My gut feeling is that there's no real error with the disk, it's probably caused by incorrect error handling in the code where some other failure gets attributed to a corrupted disk when that's not the case.

I haven't looked into this because, quite frankly, I got tired of trying to track down every single bug present in Asus's code. I can't do the debugging work of an entire team, so I have to chose my battles. This is one I'm not taking simply because I can't reproduce it here, so that makes it too hard for me to track down. My gut feeling is that there's no real error with the disk, it's probably caused by incorrect error handling in the code where some other failure gets attributed to a corrupted disk when that's not the case.

Understandable and thansk for the response.

I checked both the drives they are fine and the scan actually shows them being fine.
Oddly if one is plugged into the top port and the other the bottom both show as corrupted.
But if i switch them around only one drive shows as corrupted.

Drives otherwise behave perfectly fine.

RT-N66U memory usage

I am seeing my rt-n66u memory usage graph indicate that all but 64megs is allocated following the 376.44 final firmware release.

I didn't notice that much memory being allocated so quickly after after a boot with the beta code(s).

Only the samba and ftp servers are enabled. No DLM or iCloud ever installed. A wd1230 2tb/ext3 drive is the usb storage.

Is this amount of memory usage reasonable?

tia

Last edited:
I am seeing my rt-n66u memory usage graph indicate that all but 64megs is allocated following the 376.44 final firmware release.

I didn't notice that much memory being allocated so quickly after after a boot with the beta code(s).

Only the samba and ftp servers are enabled. No DLM or iCloud ever installed. A wd1230 2tb/ext3 drive is the usb storage.

Is this amount of memory usage reasonable?

tia

Don't worry about it. Linux will allocate RAM to buffers and caches as needed, for example when accessing any file through SMB. Those buffers will be freed whenever any process actively requires that memory.

And I ain't going back to Paragon at this point. Data corruption and data loss is a far more serious problem than occasional failure to mount, or inability to test the filesystem if it's too large.
With all respect - I never expect any problem with previous fw.
Now I have problems not only with filesystem testing - every time I unmount the drive and check it using either scandisk or chkdisk it finds errors in USN journal: it discovers free space marked as allocated in the master file table bitmap.

I repair this problem but it appears every time after mounting to router.

As for me it is exactly data corruption issue.

Hello everyone.

My first post here though I've been this forum for a while. I observed one issue on 376.44 + RT-AC56U (which I'm not very sure if anyone else reported yet).

I have a 100Mbps connection (which is quite common at the place I live). Speedtest.net tests usually show ~95Mbps both up and down. My connection is very stable and consistent (at least from speedtest.net tests).

After upgraded to 376.44, the speed was good for a day or two, then degraded to ~20Mbps up and ~10Mbps down. Reboot RT-AC56U brings back to 95Mbps up and down. However, after another day or two, the speed again degrades to ~20Mbps up and ~10Mbps down. A reboot will immediately bring back the full speed.

When this issue happens, not only the WAN connection is degraded but the local links too. Speed of file transfer between RT-AC56U and PC is severely impacted.

For now I downgraded to 374.43_2 which does not have this issue with my RT-AC56U.

Cheers
I can confirm this behavior on 376.44 + RT-AC56U + Comcast. Speed drops dramatically and clients cannot connect to the router or have DHCP errors after about 1.5days. A reboot fixes issue which soon returns.

Weird..
I remember a few months ago getting 1300 of transmit rate on my iMac (ac 5ghz), with the previous version the transmit rate was between 800 and 1000.
Now with this version i'm getting just 217.

Anyone else noticing this?

Weird..
I remember a few months ago getting 1300 of transmit rate on my iMac (ac 5ghz), with the previous version the transmit rate was between 800 and 1000.
Now with this version i'm getting just 217.

Anyone else noticing this?
There is an issue with the Asus code in both Asus 376_1663 and Merlin's 376_44. If you've set the 5GHz Wireless Mode to N&AC, the best you can achieve is 40MHz/450Mbps. Keeping it on Auto will give you 80MHz/up to 1300Mbps.

No, that's it! This is really not Merlin fw I loved to use!
Have to roll back till the better days...

On my wireless PC, on the second floor, the 2.4GHz signal level drops from -65 to -71 dBm.
This is compared with 374.43 firmware.
The signal drop is killing throughput on this Windows box.

As known, it's not possible any more to localize the router properly.
That gives me a pathetic 4 channels compared to 19 channels on 5GHz with 374.43 firmware. (Allowed in my country!)

Needless to say that, for me, the upgrade journey ends at 374.43
I sure hope ASUS gets his act together and NOT cripple a good product deliberately.

We will see.....

Just upgraded from 376.43 to .44. Rebooted the router at the completion of the update. Generally, all seems to be OK (preliminary check), but from my desktop PC with the wired connection, while I can connect to the web, I get this screen when trying to connect to the router UI, even after a reboot of the PC itself.
"Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.
To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."

As noted, router has been rebooted as has PC, and this is a wired connection.

Any ideas?

There is an issue with the Asus code in both Asus 376_1663 and Merlin's 376_44. If you've set the 5GHz Wireless Mode to N&AC, the best you can achieve is 40MHz/450Mbps. Keeping it on Auto will give you 80MHz/up to 1300Mbps.

Thanks! Setting it on Auto gets back the transmit rate to 860 like in 376.43 but its still less than the 1300 I used to have.

Why is this happening?

Thanks! Setting it on Auto gets back the transmit rate to 860 like in 376.43 but its still less than the 1300 I used to have.

Why is this happening?
You're welcome, glad that helped!

I'm not sure why you can't achieve 1300, but there is one other thing to be aware of; at least I've discovered this on my system. This may or may not be an issue for you.

If you access the "WDS" tab in the wireless group of settings; within 30 seconds 5GHz signal strength is reduced by 10dBm and wireless speed will also be reduced. This happens on Asus or Merlin firmware. The only way to restore signal strength and speed is to reboot the router. You don't have to do anything in the WDS screen, simply accessing it causes the issue.

On Merlin's firmware if you access the Site Survey screen; within 30 seconds 5GHz signal strength is reduced by 10dBm and wireless speed will also be reduced. The only way to restore signal strength and speed is to reboot the router.

I can see the 10dBm signal strength reduction in the bar graph Icon for Windows Network Connection Status and using inSSIDer3. I can see the transmit speed reduction in the Router's Wireless Log.

There is a new version of stock firmware out at least for the RT-AC87R.

RT-AC87R Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.2061
Fixes:
1. Upgraded the latest driver for Quantenna 802.11ac processor.
2. Enhanced media bridge mode performance.
3. Enhanced performance when Intel Centrino 5300 connecting to RT-AC87U.
4. Fixed beamforming GUI bug and enabled beamforming by default.
5. Fixed AiCloud UI issue when generating file share link.

Note: The 3.0.0.4.376.1779 and 3.0.0.4.376.2044 had incompatible issue in some specific environment, so both version were removed. Please upgrade to 3.0.0.4.376.2061

In french, the Parental Controls page won't completly load.

The ULR Filter in the Firewall don't work.

Just upgraded from 376.43 to .44. Rebooted the router at the completion of the update. Generally, all seems to be OK (preliminary check), but from my desktop PC with the wired connection, while I can connect to the web, I get this screen when trying to connect to the router UI, even after a reboot of the PC itself.
"Settings have been updated. Web page will now refresh.
Changes have been made to the IP address or port number. You will now be disconnected from RT-AC68U.
To access the settings of RT-AC68U, reconnect to the wireless network and use the updated IP address and port number."

As noted, router has been rebooted as has PC, and this is a wired connection.

Any ideas?

Just do "Clear offline WEB content" and everything will be OK. If you use Mozilla the button to do this is in Tools>Options>Advanced>Network. If you use any other browser there should be something similar somewhere in menus.

Why is this happening?

The router not allowing AC connections when set to N+AC is because Asus changed that part of the code in the firmware, but failed to properly update the webui. When you set N+AC on the webui, it sets the mode value to "1", which the firmware applies as "N-only" at the driver level.

Asus fixed this issue in internal betas for the AC68/AC56, and I added an additional fix for the RT-AC66U. The code is currently on my Github repo.

Last edited:
In french, the Parental Controls page won't completly load.

Known issue in Asus's code, also happens with Italian. I think it was also mentioned earlier in this thread.
The ULR Filter in the Firewall don't work.

Can you elaborate? Make sure you are not trying to access the site in HTTPS.

Hi.
Found some strange activity in LOG http://pastebin.com/KLrHnScV . What can it be and what should I do?

My home network is based on the next type: all devices inside the home network are gaved a static IP addresses according to their MAC. LAN => DHCP Server looks like a http://note.io/1lMqa1r . All devices get their static IP correctly. In the WAN => Virtual Server / Port forwarding I setup the forwarding http://note.io/1lMqPA8 but on any device in the program port looks like it is closed http://note.io/WJxd5H and http://note.io/1lMr8L9. I need this for uTorrent. On my previous router all seems to work fine in this case. I think I am doing something wrong. What is it?