What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin - custom build of the Asus RT-N66U firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Can anything be down to the radio scheduler to let us span over a day or to have more than one shutdown period? (I like to turn off my WiFi from 1:00AM to 6:00AM everyday and then when we're both at work during the day).

2) Would there be a way of adding a column to the connected clients display that always shows MAC address so they can be easily copied and pasted to the MAC filter pages?

Thanks again!

Schedule: I know Asus recently changed it so it can span between two days, I don't remember if that was added in 144 or in 151 however. As for multiple schedule per day, that would probably become quite complicated to configure through a simple webui, so I doubt it would ever get implemented.

MAC: if you click on the dropdown arrow on the DHCP reservation page, it will list clients the router already knows. You will find your existing clients in that drop down menu.

So, if I set the start time to 06:00 and the end time to 01:00 it would run from 6:00AM one day to 1:00AM the next? That would help.

As for the MAC, it shows the MAC it's not the DHCP reservation page, it's the wireless MAC filter page that's annoying ...

Thanks,

The way the schedule is confuses me. I would like to have it disable the radio for a few hours in the middle of the night but again, I'm not sure how it works.

The AC version wouldn't help you much over an N in this case, since your PS3 won't support the higher transfer rates. But keep in mind that the release of the AC might drive the N prices down, so that's worth comparing both of them at that time.

Are the slim PS3s 802.11n compliant? I've got a fatty PS3 and it no hablas if I set my network to "N only", but if I make it "auto", it'll connect.

Yeah, double-checked online, PS3 doesn't have N built-in.

Are the slim PS3s 802.11n compliant? I've got a fatty PS3 and it no hablas if I set my network to "N only", but if I make it "auto", it'll connect.

Yeah, double-checked online, PS3 doesn't have N built-in.

Right, PS3 is only 802.11g.

Does your custom FW have support for dyndns? Also can it turn off WPS, I know Tomato FW has no support for it, which is a GOOD thing!

Does your custom FW have support for dyndns? Also can it turn off WPS, I know Tomato FW has no support for it, which is a GOOD thing!

Both are available in the original Asus firmware. I didn't remove any of the features present in the original firmware (my firmware is a modified version of Asus's), so they will also be present in my build.

Both are available in the original Asus firmware. I didn't remove any of the features present in the original firmware (my firmware is a modified version of Asus's), so they will also be present in my build.

Would it be possible if you can remove the configurations that support WPS, I know some of the router FW out there has the option to turn it off in software but it really does not turn it off. I can confirm it by using a tool called reaver, which exploit WPS PIN numbers.

Would it be possible if you can remove the configurations that support WPS, I know some of the router FW out there has the option to turn it off in software but it really does not turn it off. I can confirm it by using a tool called reaver, which exploit WPS PIN numbers.

Asus actually went the extra mile there, by offering you three options:

1) WPS disabled - in this mode, the wps_monitor process doesn't even get run
2) WPS with push button - in this mode, you have to push the WPS button on the router first, just using a PIN won't work.
3) WPS with pin.

No need to change anything code-wise.

Port forward without DHCP?

Merlin - does your fw allow the n66u to forward ports without requiring the router to also function as the DHCP server on the network? I just installed 3.151 and once again, the port forward will not save the settings if the DHCP server is disabled.

Thanks for your work!

Merlin - does your fw allow the n66u to forward ports without requiring the router to also function as the DHCP server on the network? I just installed 3.151 and once again, the port forward will not save the settings if the DHCP server is disabled.

Thanks for your work!

No idea, I never tried that. If the original firmware doesn't allow it, then mine won't either.

However, you could implement your own IPtables rules through the use of a user script if you are familiar with iptables, and manually forward ports. Or, you could possibly enable DHCP, but create a manual iptable rule that would block dhcp requests, hiding it from your network.

Updated OP with the release of 3.0.0.3.144.11 Beta 1. This release brings the much-requested feature that will allow you to add a description to your DHCP reservations.

Hello Merlin, after enabling port forwarding to internal network becomes slow especially dlna server that resides on another computer.
Thanks for your work

firmware 3.0.0.3.144.10-11

Hello Merlin, after enabling port forwarding to internal network becomes slow especially dlna server that resides on another computer.
Thanks for your work

firmware 3.0.0.3.144.10-11
Enabling port forwarding turns off HW Acceleration. Build 3.0.0.3.151 release notes claim that problem is fixed.

Firmware 155 also seems good.

mmmhhh i am still on 130.9 and i have only 2 problems once it is configured (forget about QoS): DLNA and streaming HD or 3D.
Attaching an HD does not show the content to the DLNA (or it is not playable).
And when streaming, it peaks at around 60mbit but it does not seem to be stable and it is eventually not possible to watch anything with high bandwidth over wireless.
However it seems that all DLNAs I have are crappy in some aspect, so I am not sure the router could really help :)

Anyway, I was wondering if flashing a new FW is worth the hassle of reconfiguring everything (64 nvram), or better wait for some bigger improvement.

Hello RMerlin,

I have eagerly monitored this thread and finally bought the RT-N66U yesterday and immediately flashed the (.112) firmware with your custom .144.10 firmware.

All your tweaks SSH/WOL/Tools features etc. working fine.

My local network consists of several Win7 laptops and a W2K3 server (running SSH daemon) and Synology and Playon!HD devices.

However, network mapping from Win7/W2K3 now appears broken to NAS/DNLA servers when I issue:

net view

System Error 6118 has occurred.
The list of servers for this workgroup in not available.

Put back old router and ALL network mapping is restored.

Reset RT-N66U and reflashed .144.10 and network mapping problem still persists.

Flashed Asus .151 and all network mapping instantly restored!. Looking through the System log I saw a message along the lines of

'RT-N66U now master browser for workgroup: WORKGROUP'

So on the

'USB Application ->Miscellaneous Setting'

tab I set the Workgroup name to match my local workgroup and rebooted.
(All network mappings still OK, but no 'master browser' message in System log)

So again reflashed .144.10 and still my network mapping remains broken.

Currently reflashed Asus .151 (now .155) and all network mapping is working although I've never seen any further reoccurrance of the 'master browser' message in the System log.

P.S. I have not attached any USB devices to the RT-N66U.

Not sure if you could see if there is anything in the code customisation that may possibly effect this weird internal windows network issue?

Regards,

So again reflashed .144.10 and still my network mapping remains broken.

Currently reflashed Asus .151 (now .155) and all network mapping is working although I've never seen any further reoccurrance of the 'master browser' message in the System log.

P.S. I have not attached any USB devices to the RT-N66U.

Not sure if you could see if there is anything in the code customisation that may possibly effect this weird internal windows network issue?

Regards,

It's not caused by a code change by me, since I haven't changed a single line of code related to SMB sharing (that's the kind of reason why I am very picky as to what I change and what I refuse to - the more you mess with existing code, the more likely you are to create new bugs). The issue was most likely fixed by Asus with later betas, so we'll have to wait for them to finally release a newer GPL archive of the code for me to work with.

mmmhhh i am still on 130.9 and i have only 2 problems once it is configured (forget about QoS): DLNA and streaming HD or 3D.
Attaching an HD does not show the content to the DLNA (or it is not playable).
And when streaming, it peaks at around 60mbit but it does not seem to be stable and it is eventually not possible to watch anything with high bandwidth over wireless.
However it seems that all DLNAs I have are crappy in some aspect, so I am not sure the router could really help :)

Anyway, I was wondering if flashing a new FW is worth the hassle of reconfiguring everything (64 nvram), or better wait for some bigger improvement.

Just backup your config first. Then its no hastle. And yes if you care about performance it is worth it. 151+ is noticeable faster as hardware acceleration is working properly.

Just backup your config first. Then its no hastle. And yes if you care about performance it is worth it. 151+ is noticeable faster as hardware acceleration is working properly.
i could not resist and i flashed.
however it was a hassle because i had to reinsert all the dhcp mappings and i did not have the heart to reinsert the mac filters, 2.4 and 5ghz separately are a suicide...

anyway rmerlin released up to .144, so my point was if i should wait for 151+, but i didn't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.