What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin - custom build of the Asus RT-N66U firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asus appears (from post on another forum) to have released two new firmware packages in the last three days. In this case I suspect this was not a public release; but really don't know.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86437&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=630

Anyway, I just got my router and was going to load Rmerlin's version. Should I wait a week or so to avoid having to start from scratch again if 64K is implemented?

Last edited:
Asus appears (from post on another forum) to have released two new firmware packages in the last three days. In this case I suspect this was not a public release; but really don't know.

Anyway, I just got my router and was going to load Rmerlin's version. Should I wait a week or so to avoid having to start from scratch again if 64K is implemented?
Can you post link to this forum?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86437&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=630

I believe those are DD-WRT firmwares, not ASUS.

I believe those are DD-WRT firmwares, not ASUS.

Correct.

I'll have 3.0.0.3.130.8 out sometime tonight, barring any unforeseen problem.

Does this build fix the WiFi QOS issue?

No. Asus's new QoS code uses an additional kernel option that would crash my router whenever I connected to it with my laptop. I tried to track down the problem, but that's near impossible without having a second dismantled RT-N66U hooked with a serial cable.

OP updated with info for the freshly released 3.0.0.3.130.8. A lot of hours went into re-building this on top of 3.0.0.4.130, hope you guys enjoy it!

I'd also like to thank the folks who ran beta builds and gave feedback. That was helpful, thank you :)

OP updated with info for the freshly released 3.0.0.3.130.8. A lot of hours went into re-building this on top of 3.0.0.4.130, hope you guys enjoy it!

I'd also like to thank the folks who ran beta builds and gave feedback. That was helpful, thank you :)

Many thanks, RMerlin.

Will upgrade tomorrow, time for bed now. :p

Mektub

No. Asus's new QoS code uses an additional kernel option that would crash my router whenever I connected to it with my laptop. I tried to track down the problem, but that's near impossible without having a second dismantled RT-N66U hooked with a serial cable.

Wait, so this new firmware of yours is going to crash the router if I turn on QOS and use WiFi??
I see the newest firmware ASUS has for the RTn53 is 3.0.0.4.132.

Last edited:
Wait, so this new firmware of yours is going to crash the router if I turn on QOS and use WiFi??
I see the newest firmware ASUS has for the RTn53 is 3.0.0.4.132.

Howdy,
ASUS RT-N66U forum here.

RMerlin's RT-N66U firmware here

NOT the 53 model

Howdy,
ASUS RT-N66U forum here.

RMerlin's RT-N66U firmware here

NOT the 53 model
Right. BUT his latest firmware mod is based off of the 3.0.0.4.130 from the 53 model. And I was just pointing out that there is now even a newer version.

Right. BUT his latest firmware mod is based off of the 3.0.0.4.130 from the 53 model. And I was just pointing out that there is now even a newer version.

Asus didn't release the 3.0.0.4.132 sources, that's why I used 3.0.0.4.130.

And no, QOS or Wifi in my build won't crash the router... The QoS/Wifi issue that's in MY build is the one where Wifi performance can be affected by QoS - same issue that was there in 108. I did not use the 130 QoS code that was causing the crash.

OP updated. Quick update that addresses the no-ip.com issue, and enables the new dual WAN support that was added in 3.0.0.4.130.

OK, I have tried 3.0.0.3.130.9, but the 3G WAN still does not work.

Back to 3.0.0.3.90 for the time being.

But thanks for all the trouble !

OK, I have tried 3.0.0.3.130.9, but the 3G WAN still does not work.

Back to 3.0.0.3.90 for the time being.

But thanks for all the trouble !

It works for others, so it might be something specific to your modem I suspect.

Did you try resetting to factory defaults after flashing my build, in case you had old nvram settings that were incompatible with your modem?

OK, after fiddling around for a long time I managed to get it (3.0.0.3.130.9) to work, but the setup is quite messy and inconsistent (eg wrt primary and secondary WAN), and I have been getting weird error messages (eg "Invalid pin code", when the sim pin is deactivated and there is in any event no entry box for a pin). As a result of this error message I cannot change the 3G setup, so it runs on sub-optimal defaults.

I will try to use it like this but I cannot say that I am happy with this setup.

Asus should never have released this router without having at least some basic functional firmware.

BTW Asus support has been worse than useless. The last suggestion was that I should discuss it with the retailer - because they don't have functional firmware, what is the retailer going to do ???

Edit : I have gone back to 3.0.0.3.90 (but in this mode the RT-N66U performs worse than a RT-N13U)

Last edited:
RMerlin - Just out of curiosity, why don't you call your newest release something like 3.0.0.4.130.1 or maybe 3.0.0.4.130.9? It would seem more consistent with Asus naming.

RMerlin - Just out of curiosity, why don't you call your newest release something like 3.0.0.4.130.1 or maybe 3.0.0.4.130.9? It would seem more consistent with Asus naming.

Because I wasn't sure if the .4 would be specific to the RT-N53, or be constant across all their devices once they also upgrade to that newer code. Asus's numbering scheme is fairly confusing already, the RT-N66U saw 3.1.0.3, 9.1.0.3 and 3.0.0.3 so far. So, if the next official RT-N66U still uses 3.0.0.3.140, then my numbering would be all skewed :)

I'll adjust to whatever the next version number Asus uses for an official RT-N66U release.

OK, after fiddling around for a long time I managed to get it (3.0.0.3.130.9) to work, but the setup is quite messy and inconsistent (eg wrt primary and secondary WAN), and I have been getting weird error messages (eg "Invalid pin code", when the sim pin is deactivated and there is in any event no entry box for a pin). As a result of this error message I cannot change the 3G setup, so it runs on sub-optimal defaults.

I just saw that Asus has a separate option to enable modem with pins.

I'll send you a PM later tonight with a test build that has that option enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.