What's new

AX 6600 connecting to printer on wired network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Njpain

New Around Here
I’m a bit of a networking novice. I have a wired network in my apartment that is attached to my ISP’s provided wireless router. I have 1 of the AX6600 wired to the router and the second setup as a node. My reasoning is that the AX6600 appears to provide superior wireless access. I have a Kyocera multifunction machine wired to one of the LAN port on the ISP’s router. The Kyocera requires their setup software to install the printer. Unfortunately, with my laptop wirelessly connected to the AX 6600 I can’t find the printer. Is there a simple way to resolve this without connecting the printer directly to the AX6600 wired?

Most printer setup software I've used in recent years has a tool for finding the IP of the attached printer, whether wired or wireless. Worst case, I suppose you could SSH into the router and issue an 'arp -a' command (no quotes) to find the printer's MAC address (which is probably on a sticker on the printer itself) and assigned IP (I assume it will use DHCP by default).

Most printer setup software I've used in recent years has a tool for finding the IP of the attached printer, whether wired or wireless. Worst case, I suppose you could SSH into the router and issue an 'arp -a' command (no quotes) to find the printer's MAC address (which is probably on a sticker on the printer itself) and assigned IP (I assume it will use DHCP by default).
Setup in the current configuration, with printer on wired network and laptop on MESH, should I be able to “see” the printer? Are they on the same network?
In order to use your suggestion, will I need to assign a static ip address to the printer?

If you can ssh into the router, you can issue the arp command to see what's connected to the network at the ethernet level, and any assigned IP.

My experience with Kyocera printers is that you can usually print out a network info page, directly from the printer menus. I'd start by doing that if possible, and just check the basics!

I have a Kyocera multifunction machine wired to one of the LAN port on the ISP’s router.
Unfortunately, with my laptop wirelessly connected to the AX 6600 I can’t find the printer. Is there a simple way to resolve this without connecting the printer directly to the AX6600 wired?
Why do you have the printer connected to the ISP router and not the main Asus router?
And why don't you want to connect the printer to the main Asus router?

By having the printer connected up stream from the Asus router to the ISP provided router you could be experiencing a problem of the printer and computer being in different IP address subnets. So they cannot communicate with each other through the Asus router's firewall.

Likely the simplest solution is to connect the printer to the main Asus router that the rest of the computers are connected to so it is in the same IP address pool as the main LAN/WiFi computers. This is likely the way most have their network printers connected.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online