What's new

AX86U Check my settings please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you, I am not a social media user so can't sell it . But should the 2.4 g be faster with the AX than the AC router. Well having said that, I guess with the old network cards it probably won't be any faster as it is limited to N or AC.

I just never thought about the AX router not working with the network cards that on in my old laptops..

Not being that computer literate, I assumed that the driver updates would keep everything working with current spec. But that what forces everyone to upgrade the hardware! LOL

Just note to Tech9, Thank you for your help sorry that you bowed out of the conversation, but I figured out the network card on my own after all.

I hope this helps some other people as I have not seen this solution discussed on the site .

I guess with the old network cards it probably won't be any faster as it is limited to N or AC.

Correct. The speed will be limited by the client capabilities. What you can realistically expect to common 2-stream client is 40-80Mbps on 2.4GHz band to N client, 300-500Mbps to 5GHz AC client and 400-800Mbps to 5GHz AX client. The further away the client is the lower the speed is going to be. Busy networks around you will also affect your speeds, Wi-Fi spectrum is shared between all users. For fast speeds you need to be closer to the router, Wi-Fi environment needs to be relatively quiet. Not sure why your new router doesn't improve Wi-Fi compared to your >10 years old technology existing router. Your clients are perhaps very old or something is off with the new router. Not sure what it is.

Thank you Tech9.

This really explains a lot. I have griped at my ISP provider because I have never gotten the speed that I pay for from them . Apparently it has not been their fault. Even though they have never figured it out. They just came put a few weeks ago and did some new wiring and connects to help improve the service.
Yet of course it didn't help. They blamed it on the old wiring in my 50 year old home.
I guess I had better start trying to save for some new clients/computer hardware.
Based on the fact that my >10 year old router, I should probably keep the new AX at least it is not EOL yet!

Maybe not the place to post this question but as far as newer hardware is concerned is it better (less expensive) to to buy small desktop and monitors or laptops? What chip, memory should I get to work with AX and beyond at least for the next 4 or 5 years. That's that is probably more time that I have left on this planet anyway. Do you know of a hardware forum that I could check out. maybe you are even a member.

I appreciate your assistance and patience with an old person. I sort of remember when I thought old people were a pain. Now I am the "old people!" LOL.

I can't solve your current Internet connection issue, but I can definitely recommend a laptop for you, not the greatest, but on fair price and good enough for your needs. We can do this tomorrow because it's 11PM at my location. Are you in the US? I can search your local offers. Send me a private message since this is unrelated to the subject of this thread.

After 6PM tomorrow. Describe what you need it for mainly and we'll go from there. Also I need some time to see what's available.

In normal Wi-Fi environment with other networks around and IoT devices for maximun stability and compatibility I would set this router this way:

2.4GHz General:

Enable Smart ConnectOFF
Band2.4 GHz
Network Name (SSID)Your SSID24 (numbers and letters only)
Hide SSIDNo
Wireless ModeAuto
802.11ax / WiFi 6 modeDisable
WiFi Agile MultibandDisable
Target Wake TimeDisable
Channel bandwidth20 MHz
Control Channelfixed channel with best throughput, not necessarily 1-6-11
Authentication MethodWPA2-Personal
WPA EncryptionAES
WPA Pre-Shared KeyYour password (numbers and letters only)
Protected Management FramesDisable
Group Key Rotation Interval7200

2.4GHz Professional:

5GHz General:

Enable Smart ConnectOFF
Band5 GHz
Network Name (SSID)Your SSID50 (numbers and letters only)
Hide SSIDNo
Wireless ModeAuto
802.11ax / WiFi 6 modeEnable
WiFi Agile MultibandDisable
Target Wake TimeDisable
Channel bandwidth20/40/80 MHz, 160 MHz Disabled
Control Channelfixed channel in non-DFS range 36-48 or 149-161 (if available)
Extension ChannelAuto
Authentication MethodWPA2-Personal
WPA EncryptionAES
WPA Pre-Shared KeyYour password (numbers and letters only)
Protected Management FramesDisable
Group Key Rotation Interval7200

5GHz Professional:

Band5 GHz
Enable RadioYes
Enable wireless schedulerNo
Set AP IsolatedNo
Roaming assistantDisable
Enable IGMP SnoopingDisable
Multicast Rate(Mbps)Auto
AMPDU RTSEnable
RTS Threshold2347
DTIM Interval1
Beacon Interval100
Enable TX BurstingDisable
Enable WMMEnable
Enable WMM No-AcknowledgementDisable
Enable WMM APSDDisable
Optimize AMPDU aggregationDisable
Modulation SchemeUp to MCS 11 (NitroQAM/1024-QAM)
Airtime FairnessDisable
Multi-User MIMODisable
OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMODisable
802.11ax/ac BeamformingEnable
Universal BeamformingDisable
Tx power adjustment
Performance

I would NOT run Asuswrt-Merlin 388.1 on it though.
Why would you buy a wifi 6 router and disable 160 MHz tho I disabled it just to see if my speed test would change and it still good but why disable?

Because 160MHz wide channel is:

a) not guaranteed (needs DFS range)
b) not supported by all clients (very few AC and not all AX)
c) has shorter range (3db signal strength difference compared to 80MHz)

Note the settings I posted are for maximum stability and compatibility. If you want something else - experiment.

Because 160MHz wide channel is:

a) not guaranteed (needs DFS range)
b) not supported by all clients (very few AC and not all AX)
c) has shorter range (3db signal strength difference compared to 80MHz)

Note the settings I posted are for maximum stability and compatibility. If you want something else - experiment.
Do you mind giving me 2.4ghz and 5ghz settings for speed please

I can't - maximum performance is environment and client specific. You have to find what works for you. With the setting above and common 2-stream client you can get up to ~90Mbps on 2.4GHz band to N client, up to ~600Mbps on 5GHz band to AC client and up to ~850Mbps on 5GHz band to AX client. You need to be close to the router and with somewhat quiet Wi-Fi environment. Further away and many active networks around - less speed and changing settings to 40MHz (2.4GHz band) and 160MHz (5GHz band) won't help, may make it worse.

It applies to g/a devices only. There is nothing in technology supporting change in ac/ax behavior, unless it's another bug in Asuswrt.

Not the case.

TXOP Bursting is supported under 802.11AC, AX and BE to improve transmission times when migrating between power states to minimize a (usually mobile phones) duration of operation at full RX power and a ratified component of 802.11e's QoS design.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!